Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Captain
# 511
04-16-2014, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkrik23 View Post
So if a human hero dies, everybody panics, but if his or her equally popular animal hero dies, nobody panics?

Am I understand this logic correctly?
Not exactly. From a plot standpoint, animals tend to be "expendable" in that the main human cast remains fully functional if the animal dies, whereas if one of the humans dies the team loses an important skill set. So animals are "safe" targets for killings because upset the viewer/reader (in a good way), but don't introduce a handicap the writers have to work around.

The death of an animal can be used as a very special episode about death.

Also, in some circumstances the death of an animal can be less traumatic to the audience than a human's death would be (especially if the method of death is particularly nasty). Think about how much of an emotional kick Serious Black's death inflicted, and was designed to, versus how much kick Hedwig's death inflicted, or Aragog's.

Of course, this doesn't apply in stories where the protagonist is an animal. The death of one dog in a sled team will be a bigger deal if the protagonist is one of the other dogs than if the protagonist is the musher.

Black Dude Dies First and That Poor Plant are related tropes.
Empire Veteran
# 512
04-17-2014, 06:32 AM
Well, Hedwig wasn't a major (IMO) character so it didn't affect myself much. Same thing with Aragog, he was a crazy bad spider, and I hate spiders so...yea .

Now Buckbeak, depressing.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Rihannsu
# 513
04-17-2014, 06:40 AM
buckbeak isn't dead, though
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecaptainsmirk View Post
*reassuringly strokes your hair*
Hush now, you will be back kicking Neelix and killing those nasty Vaadwaur soon enough... hush child.
*pat pat on your head*
epic smirk is epic
Empire Veteran
# 514
04-17-2014, 06:46 AM
But it is depressing when you think he dies.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
Rihannsu
# 515
04-17-2014, 06:49 AM
yeah...for half an hour, then he's suddenly back because 'time travel - wiping out history since the big bang'
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecaptainsmirk View Post
*reassuringly strokes your hair*
Hush now, you will be back kicking Neelix and killing those nasty Vaadwaur soon enough... hush child.
*pat pat on your head*
epic smirk is epic
Captain
# 516
04-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Same thing with Aragog, he was a crazy bad spider, and I hate spiders so...yea .
Speciest.

Quote:
Well, Hedwig wasn't a major (IMO) character so it didn't affect myself much.
Maybe we're talking about different things. What are some examples you've seen of writers preferentially killing off the animal characters?
Empire Veteran
# 517
04-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmakepeace View Post
Speciest.

Maybe we're talking about different things. What are some examples you've seen of writers preferentially killing off the animal characters?

As in killing them off to avoid killing the non-animal person as to not upset the audience?
Rihannsu
# 518
04-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaleff View Post
Not to mention the Vedek hood, which looks like you simply glued your ears onto the hood......

You mean like this?
WIN!!!

@Ash: There's a difference between Spot and Razor. In one case it's a non-person. A non-person dying is unfortunate, but not as tragic.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Empire Veteran
# 519
04-17-2014, 09:48 PM
Well yea, the 2 are completely different characters. I have been referring to when you have a character like Razor with the main characters.
Captain
# 520
04-17-2014, 09:50 PM
Example......?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg