Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Starfleet Veteran
# 81
10-22-2013, 07:26 PM
I'll add my voice to more and better Caitian hair, legs, paws, sunglasses, colors, and whatever else is or could be missing from Caitian customization options!
---------------------
DeltaFox
Empire Veteran
# 82
10-22-2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the support.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Empire Veteran
# 83
10-26-2013, 07:33 PM
A close friend recently spoke with Tacofangs on the REDALERT channel in-game. Tacofangs said that new fur patterns were possible but not yet on the list.

Just the acknowledgement by a dev is a huge step forward for me.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
Captain
# 84
10-26-2013, 08:08 PM
The problem is that it is such an large amount of work for the Devs to spare that much time. It means they have to start painting every texture file. We have the short sleeves for Mining Vest, and the Beachcomber outfit, as well as the legs for the Beachcomber outfit. And then of course, you have challenge of coding the Tortoiseshell pattern to be female-only, just like real world housecats. So yes the capability is there. But the Devs currently have no plans.

If they do that, they would have to find a way of coding a mechanism where any cat with blue eyes has significantly decreased perception, due to blue eyes indicating that the cat carries the "Ww" gene. As well as limiting the blue eyes to only cats who have near white fur.

For those who don't know about genetics, the "Ww" gene is actually a genetic defect that leads to deafness later in life. This development does so through gradual degeneration of the inner ear, most specifically the Organ of Corti and the connecting Spiral Ganglion. This process almost always begins during the first weeks after birth, but is typically slow enough that the atrophy is not obvious until years later.

Although rare, 15% of "Near-Whites" have been known to never be afflicted by this congenital defect at all. In such a case, the cat will exhibit what is known as "white spotting," meaning the cat will bear a pure white patch somewhere on their body.

TL;DR version......The concept of making cats seem more like real world cats simply involves too much coding, and too much work. Sure, we may be able to pester the Devs into giving us SOMETHING, but we cannot set our hope too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkrik23 View Post
There's suppose to be some kind of "Polar Caitian" but I think it's a fan-made thing.
Actually it is the Ferasan. The blue to almost black fur indicates that they either evolved in permanently Arctic conditions, or on the dark side of a tidally locked planet.

I successfully completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE.
My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, ISS Queen Elizabeth, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord

Click here to view my DeviantArt.
Survivor of Romulus
# 85
10-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkrik23 View Post
A close friend recently spoke with Tacofangs on the REDALERT channel in-game. Tacofangs said that new fur patterns were possible but not yet on the list.

Just the acknowledgement by a dev is a huge step forward for me.
YAY TACOFANGS *decides not to eat tacos for awhile*

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Empire Veteran
# 86
10-26-2013, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaleff View Post
The problem is that it is such an large amount of work for the Devs to spare that much time. It means they have to start painting every texture file. We have the short sleeves for Mining Vest, and the Beachcomber outfit, as well as the legs for the Beachcomber outfit. And then of course, you have challenge of coding the Tortoiseshell pattern to be female-only, just like real world housecats. So yes the capability is there. But the Devs currently have no plans.

If they do that, they would have to find a way of coding a mechanism where any cat with blue eyes has significantly decreased perception, due to blue eyes indicating that the cat carries the "Ww" gene. As well as limiting the blue eyes to only cats who have near white fur.

For those who don't know about genetics, the "Ww" gene is actually a genetic defect that leads to deafness later in life. This development does so through gradual degeneration of the inner ear, most specifically the Organ of Corti and the connecting Spiral Ganglion. This process almost always begins during the first weeks after birth, but is typically slow enough that the atrophy is not obvious until years later.

Although rare, 15% of "Near-Whites" have been known to never be afflicted by this congenital defect at all. In such a case, the cat will exhibit what is known as "white spotting," meaning the cat will bear a pure white patch somewhere on their body.

TL;DR version......The concept of making cats seem more like real world cats simply involves too much coding, and too much work. Sure, we may be able to pester the Devs into giving us SOMETHING, but we cannot set our hope too high.

Actually it is the Ferasan. The blue to almost black fur indicates that they either evolved in permanently Arctic conditions, or on the dark side of a tidally locked planet.
If we could get the basic Lion/tiger/cheetah/leopard Prints I would be happy. This is why they need an update specifically for character customization.
Commander
# 87
10-27-2013, 08:33 AM
Quote:
The problem is that it is such an large amount of work for the Devs to spare that much time. It means they have to start painting every texture file. We have the short sleeves for Mining Vest, and the Beachcomber outfit, as well as the legs for the Beachcomber outfit.
Painting every texture file? You know that those outfits are just placed on top of a 'nude' body, right? All they'd have to do is create a new texture for the body and STO takes care of the rest.
"Let's make our DOff UI bigger, clumsier to use, impossible to sort, AND have it show less information in a useable method than we did before!" - Cryptic with STO's 9.5 'crafting upgrade'.

What were you thinking, Cryptic? Seriously. I want to know.
Empire Veteran
# 88
10-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Really want the King Cheetah pattern.
Captain
# 89
10-27-2013, 02:17 PM
I actually very much like that pattern. I would wear it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebob View Post
You know that those outfits are just placed on top of a 'nude' body, right?
I don't know anything about how to do that. I came directly from Knights of the Old Republic, straight into STO. That is a 10-year technology difference. With KotOR, each clothing piece is an entire body texture file.

I successfully completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE.
My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, ISS Queen Elizabeth, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord

Click here to view my DeviantArt.
Empire Veteran
# 90
10-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Quote:
I actually very much like that pattern. I would wear it.

I don't know anything about how to do that. I came directly from Knights of the Old Republic, straight into STO. That is a 10-year technology difference. With KotOR, each clothing piece is an entire body texture file.
TOR is on the hero engine is why.