Captain
# 121
09-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Sorry I missed this, I know know how frustrating it is to write something, but then not get any feedback. Like you, I don't write for the attention, but because I enjoy writing, and getting feedback is always helpful with how to improve for next time. I won't make any casting suggestions, as Patrick has already made a solid start, but also, because I find casting a personal matter... I use casting to help me visualise the characters when writing, and to fill in details of behavioural quirks (such as the way Scarlett Johansson's brow furrows when she frowns) to help bring them to life beyond my initial concept, so who I cast, isn't necessarily who someone else might cast in the role (and I don't worry about casting costs )

I felt that more dialogue between the characters to explain the station and scenario might have been more engaging than mere description of the environment, as it did read more like a report, than as a story (but that depends on if that was the style you were going for), but it was certainly a nice explanation of how the crew acquired Wraith.

That said, I think my favourite of your characters is Krotious, and I thoroughly enjoyed the Risa entry where he beat the crap out of Wraith (who I felt marginally sorry for) but I believed in Krotious' quest so much, I really wanted to see him be victorious, even if it cost Wraith his life...
When i do the writing or concept work for this stuff, i often like to think of it like i would be doing a general concept for an episode. Each Season would contain an over all arc, but each episode is self contained, although the previous was kind of lost since i'm all over the place at the moment. It's also why i'm usually short on the dialog when doing these things. It's also why i've never given much though to actors since i'd rather cast the person who best portrays the role, rather than just going for some one who were famous already. Hiring unknowns would be a great chance for them as well as leave more space in the budget for other things.

Sadly to say, that while Patrick did put together a good cast, i honestly had to google all but two, and only really recognized one other. I'll have to go through and put a LOT of deep thought into a dream team cast, just to flesh out a better look for the characters to go along with their personalities. In truth, it would also help as a reference towards pitching the idea as well.

I have to admit though, it IS nice to break into another character every now and then to help keep things fresh. While writing Vrel and Krotious it's nice to be able to push what happens since they aren't technically bound by Roddenberry's rules.
Captain
# 122
09-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithshadow13 View Post
When i do the writing or concept work for this stuff, i often like to think of it like i would be doing a general concept for an episode. Each Season would contain an over all arc, but each episode is self contained, although the previous was kind of lost since i'm all over the place at the moment. It's also why i'm usually short on the dialog when doing these things. It's also why i've never given much though to actors since i'd rather cast the person who best portrays the role, rather than just going for some one who were famous already. Hiring unknowns would be a great chance for them as well as leave more space in the budget for other things.

Sadly to say, that while Patrick did put together a good cast, i honestly had to google all but two, and only really recognized one other. I'll have to go through and put a LOT of deep thought into a dream team cast, just to flesh out a better look for the characters to go along with their personalities. In truth, it would also help as a reference towards pitching the idea as well.

I have to admit though, it IS nice to break into another character every now and then to help keep things fresh. While writing Vrel and Krotious it's nice to be able to push what happens since they aren't technically bound by Roddenberry's rules.
I write to a similar idea myself, although due to the shifting nature of the LC's, I try and avoid 'planning ahead' for an arc, as sometimes a challenge simply won't allow the narrative to go in a particular direction. Equally, when I cast, it's not so much about a famous name, but as you say, the best fit for the role. In some instances, I've cast models and musicians, simply because I felt they gave me the best handle on the character (my casting of Emily Ratajkowski as T'Reya is probably the best example of this) I totally agree though, from a real world production point of view, unknowns are just as good, if not more so, than the Big Names, as they would portray a character without bringing people's thoughts of previous characters to a role, but simply bringing the character through on its own merits as a character My only criteria in that regard, is if they have an IMDB listing, they're fair game as inspirational reference Likewise, that's why I find Ch'K'rr a stimulating character to write. In most fiction, she would probably be considered a villain, or at the very least, an antagonist (like the insane Emperor Kartagia in Babylon 5, who very much inspired her viciously shifting moods) but in these instances, she is 'one of the Good Guys' (and the title of the entry was direct reference to her being unable to see that her behaviour towards her daughter is the very reason why she is so spiteful )
Career Officer
# 123
09-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithshadow13 View Post

Casting a character I think is all about the character's attitude, and finding somebody who portrays that well in their roles. Looks are secondary, or can be ignored altogether if all you're after is a voice.

Take Jesu LaRoca for example. Michael Pena is actually about six inches too short to play him. But the guy made his name playing "Good Cop" roles (which is basically how I see Jesu) and he can go from off-the-wall badass (see End of Watch) to total softie (Crash) in a snap.

Of course, it can also work the other way around. I based a lot of Rusty's attitude on Josh Hartnett's character Slevin Kelevra from Lucky Number Slevin.

Whenever I'm not sure about a character, I just go to IMDB and find somebody who's kinda close to what I have in mind, either physically or attitude-wise, and scanning through lists of similar actors until I find someone that jumps out at me. Like a lot of my searches for villain actors start with Jack Nicholson, even though I know that (usually) he's totally wrong for the role.

More reviews!

@patrickngo - awesome bit of a mystery thriller for this LC. I'm really curious to see if Gormann makes a reappearance.

- As for your Mirror-Mirror entry; first off, what, I wonder, did the MU's Gabriel Bell do to get not one, not two, but three Terran Empire starships named in his honor? Loved the Dark Knight reference, and REALLY loved the juxtaposition of Moab (with all of its religious Zionist/LDS overtones) with New Las Vegas (the hollow neon city of evil.) Terrific piece.

@marcusdkane - brilliant job tying in your entry to the Moab/Masters arc. So many great references worked into this one. I really enjoyed following the path you took to find a cure. [*Spoiler Alert*] I'm really sad to see that Siri's treatment left her "just a Pentaxian" - though not, I suspect, as sad as Siri is. [/*Spoiler*] What happened to the "dignitary from the backward iceball" and the "Yesh muvvuh" bit cracked me up.

@danqueller - I really liked the way you put this one together. Great way of showing off all the awkward silences. Looking forward to more of Rycho.

"The Snowmenz Are Coming! The Snowmenz Are Coming!!"

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Captain
# 124
09-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
brilliant job tying in your entry to the Moab/Masters arc. So many great references worked into this one. I really enjoyed following the path you took to find a cure.
I'm really glad you enjoyed it I was tempted to have Siri's subconscious tormented by Alix again, as she had been on Caladan, but I didn't want to rip the concept of Rusty's Limbo, so kept the action external, and with her unaware of the passage of time

Quote:
[*Spoiler Alert*] I'm really sad to see that Siri's treatment left her "just a Pentaxian" - though not, I suspect, as sad as Siri is. [/*Spoiler*]
Ironically, she will actually be rather happy to finally be normal, she was more shocked than angry with Kincaid. However, as we discussed, she always knew that she would eventually die of old age, but the knowledge that she can now be killed and will stay dead, may take some getting used to, and the need to talk with T'Reya. As mentioned, I wanted there to be a kind of loss, not just a 'back to normal' Happy Ending (I see her binding the ends of the claws and carrying them as weapons...)

However, there is a trapdoor... Drake and Templar have a copy of her un-corrupted transporter profile in the Saint He might try using that as 'carrot' to get her to participate in a mission for him...

Quote:
What happened to the "dignitary from the backward iceball" and the "Yesh muvvuh" bit cracked me up. :-P
I think it's a shame that Mitchell will never know what happened to his old buddy Yurass
Captain
# 125
09-02-2013, 07:05 AM
@ patrickngo: re: Passing Grades...

Really nice insight into Gonzo's past, it definitely makes things about her make more sense
Captain
# 126
09-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
I'm not sure why I had started picturing something closer to medieval society. I think that species profile would be excellent.
Maybe it was the description of grime, muck, and limited resources. Truth to be told though, I imagine Deepwell Seven as more akin to Dickensian London-- very filthy and full of very poor living conditions, but at least they have access to a few crude steam-powered things. No factories, though, as (1) the Chastised would oppose any sort of mass industrialization, and (2) the Deepwell is a series of very cramped rooms, so the fumes would kill a lot of people very quickly.

Quote:
What year did Arkos leave Korda? By "four years ago," did you mean 2405, or something else?
Truth to be told, I've been thinking hard on that one. It would have been anywhere between four and ten years before the current date in-game, but that's depending on whether I want Arkos to have had a steady career in Starfleet, or have had a meteoric rise in rank due to wartime expediency. What I do know is that he went from Lieutenant to Acting Captain very quickly after the Battle of Vega.

Quote:
It occurred to me that if it was 2405, it would be possible for him to meet Alyosha when Alyosha way outranks him. Which might prevent such a meeting from blowing out of control in a way that could be hurtful to us if we were to co-author: Alyosha being a superior officer might limit the extent of it. A cadet, for instance, might not speak to a commander the same way two captains would speak to each other, even with the same sharp disagreement.

I would not, however, cause Alyosha to put Arkos on report without permission, though. Even though any form of discrimination or bigotry is a huge hot button for Alyosha (one he's even snapped at people in the middle of battle for).
That would be awesome! I could see it as being an incident at the Academy, or during a starship posting. Arkos would probably still be a Cadet (or at least Junior Ensign) by that point, and being brought before then-Commander Strannik for a stern talking-to after a very vocal and very ugly disagreement with a religious shipmate.

Quote:
Oh...by "reconcilers," I didn't mean that the Apologists and Chastised would reconcile. I was referring to people who would fit neither category, and would thus be reviled by both and possibly killed for it since no one would have them. A society so polarized would be likely to do that to moderate voices, I suspect.
Actually, I would imagine that there are moderates within both the Apologists and Chastised-- people who are receptive to the idea of the two groups getting along, or at least leaving each other alone. As with all beliefs, though, those moderates would probably be shouted down by the more extreme/fanatical elements of their respective groups.

And now for some reviews:

danquelier: Egad, is this the beginning of the adventures of Captain Rycho? Interesting that you chose to switch them over to a Rhode Island class, and I am intrigued by the possibility of a Borg civil war-- as was pointed out, such a thing would be disastrous for the Alpha/Beta quadrants, but it is also something that the local powers could potentially take advantage of. Either way, really well written as usual-- I suspect Admiral Zunvoc is lucky he didn't antagonize Rycho any more than he did.

csr12905: Nicely done, I like the tie-in to the "Caitian Diaspora" assignment chain. I always appreciate it when stories like yours don't gloss over the ugly realities of war.

sander233: And now we get the Klingon casualty lists. Pretty horrifying to say the least. Otherwise, I think it will be interesting to see how Ensign Nguyen adapts to life on the Tiburon-- I would imagine there will be some initial friction, what with her having to adjust to Starfleet regs and to poliies/races she may not necessarily like. Similarly, I would imagine that after all that has happened, she will have a lot of Starfleet officers pitying her, and maybe one or two still feeling bitter about Moab's defection in the first place.

grylak: Ouch. That was brutal (though the action was exceptionally well-written). I was literally wincing at your descriptions of the damage the Sentinel was taking, the losses its crew were suffering, and of the physical injuries Talaina was racking up. I am very interested in seeing what happens next-- whether or not the Sentinel's crew will get Stunshock and the other missing crew members back.

patrickngo: That actually took me by surprise. Initially, I had assumed the lovers' spat between those two officers would simply be incidental background material. I had never once imagined that one of those two officers was a treasonous psychopath who may or may not still be at large. I'm very interested to see how you might continue from this. Otherwise, I really liked the interactions between Alenis and D'Ves-- I would imagine that at this point in time, a lot of the Bajorans' bitterness over the occupation might have cooled down after the Cardassians essentially suffered the same fate.

marcusdkane: Huzzah, more Pentaxians! I like the way you handled this medical dilemma, and further like this additional glimpse of Pentaxian society.
Captain
# 127
09-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassadormolari View Post
Huzzah, more Pentaxians! I like the way you handled this medical dilemma, and further like this additional glimpse of Pentaxian society.
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it I wanted to try and illustrate the cultural divide between the castes, even though in theory, they each provide equally vital functions. The meeting between I'sK'r, I'pH'n and the empress really would be like trailer trash being invited to a high society event, but with the staff then being the more discriminating than that upper strata I trust people realise that the Empress' daughter was the security leak, but I'm not going to reveal the identity of her source just yet
Captain
# 128
09-02-2013, 12:59 PM
In like Flynn.

This takes place before my LC 1 entry (found in LC 40).

Cast:
Kathryn Beringer - Rachel Nichols
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
# 129
09-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
In like Flynn.

This takes place before my LC 1 entry (found in LC 40).

Cast:
Kathryn Beringer - Rachel Nichols
Sombre, but effective, very nice glimpse into Kathryn's past
Captain
# 130
09-02-2013, 05:46 PM
@marcusdkane: Thank you! I didn't mean to go the route I did but it came to me today. Man, I was tempted to leave this LC alone because there are some amazing entries and they are a hard act to follow ...

Concerning LC 43: I made Rank 4 in Diplomacy which awards a Bridge Officer from the enemy faction and not-so-coincidentally LC43 was my way of getting that Orion onto my Bridge crew. LC 5 was in preparation for that. 1+1+1=3. You suggestion earlier that Prime Kathryn take a page from Mirror Kathryn's playbook is not my intention BUT, I still have more LCs to catch up on and I have not read all their topics. LC 37 was *my* introduction to the MU Kathryn and Staza was not even planned. Then again, that LCs topic didn't need Staza anyway so I'm not making any adjustments. Having just typed that, MU Kathryn's motivation to kill MU Daikar may be because of Staza ... that would be amazing serendipity!

I may have said this before, but I'm not writing these LCs in chronological order. I'm just writing whatever comes to mind. If, during the course or Imagineering, a link can be made to another LC then it makes the endeavor that much better for me, and hopefully the reader. I'm finding the use of linking to the STO Wiki when ships are involved is fun. I probably should put what I have in some order though ... that may help me out some.

Concerning your entry and related to discussion: so ... does this mean the Vanguard has a copy of Siri's "new" form logged in the transporter files?

@wraithshadow13 concerning the cast: blame marcusdkane for that trend (iirc) For my part, I tend to stick to famous people because I see them more often than not. Since my on-ship characters are actual BOffs in game, I just go for "who do I want". Admittedly, some actors are a flavor-of-the-month type that I now feel compelled to stick with. For example, Malin Ackerman (my "Omazei") is utterly beautiful to me, buuut I'm wondering if there is another person that could look it better. Meh, for now.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene