Lieutenant
# 61
08-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybacon90 View Post
Why has the rabid horde of whiners come out for this project, but none of the previous Starbase or Embassy ones? They have always been and always will be cosmetic, and don't block any other projects.
Because up to now most small fleets were somehow able to cover those 200k needed... but with, as I said earlier, now up to 10 regular projects those small fleets now run into the same problems even smaller fleets run into earlier. And once the next holding is out I guess there will be even MORE "whine".

Hey, Cryptic, us smaller fleets want a nice looking home as well <.<
Lt. Commander
# 62
08-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorodal View Post
Because up to now most small fleets were somehow able to cover those 200k needed... but with, as I said earlier, now up to 10 regular projects those small fleets now run into the same problems even smaller fleets run into earlier. And once the next holding is out I guess there will be even MORE "whine".

Hey, Cryptic, us smaller fleets want a nice looking home as well <.<
Plus the fleet and embassy projects gave us a month to complete before the next one, not 2-3 weeks between them. They are coming to fast to keep up with.
Lieutenant
# 63
08-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarium1979 View Post
Plus the fleet and embassy projects gave us a month to complete before the next one, not 2-3 weeks between them. They are coming to fast to keep up with.
No, they always came in two week intervals. After the embassy launched though they came weekly, switching between starbase and embassy before they switched it to bi-weekly again.
Starfleet Veteran
# 64
08-22-2013, 01:24 PM
(I voluntarily deleted this post)

Last edited by hylanvahr; 09-06-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Commander
# 65
08-22-2013, 01:25 PM
I do not understand how or why anyone would ever let their vanity outweigh their practicality.

What on earth would motivate anyone into spending time money or energy to acquire this, or any other mere cosmetic enhancement, in stead of nearly anything else obtainable in the game.

Such projects must be solely intended for those with far too much experience and money with a concomitant lack of sense.

I'm certainly glad though that the resources of Cryptic appear to be so vast as to allow them to spend their efforts generating such content. That bodes well for the plethora of bugs, glitches, and content dearth currently plaguing the game. Surely that must mean that they intend to address those outstanding issues shortly given that they must now have an overabundance of talent and personnel such that they must find meaningless busy-work to occupy them, such as creating this assault on logic.

::WARNING:: This game is not intended for use as a source of self-esteem.
Lt. Commander
# 66
08-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Y u so mad?

Seriously, its OPTIONAL, its COSMETIC, either do it or ignore it. These projects are something pretty to look at and dirt cheap to boot.

One days cap for 25 players is 200k dil. So even a fleet of only 25 players could complete this in just a few hours. Or they could ignore it and lose nothing at all.
Career Officer
# 67
08-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1derfull1 View Post
I do not understand how or why anyone would ever let their vanity outweigh their practicality.

What on earth would motivate anyone into spending time money or energy to acquire this, or any other mere cosmetic enhancement, in stead of nearly anything else obtainable in the game.
Well, two reasons:

1. Completism. My fleet wants to have EVERYTHING, and so far we've had everything. I mean, if we didn't stop after the Embassy Ivy or the KDF Targ/Fed Tribble Infestations, we're not going to stop now. It's the same logic behind accolade hunting.

2. It's pretty. I've yet to see anyone challenge Cryptic on this point with the project.

If you don't want it, fine! Its your resources, and nothing is being gated behind this project. We run our fleet holdings differently, and there's room enough for both ways in STO.
Commander
# 68
08-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Quote:
1. Completism.
Actually a fair point. Dramatically wasteful in terms of resources given the costs and benefits of it, but a perfectly human and understandable habit. That explains why certain players would chose to do the project.

As to why Cryptic would chose to devote the time and resources to create such projects, well I suppose that's explained by the dilithium cost: a handy dilithium sink - which is likely also why they time gate the projects. Oh can't finish it in time to start the next one, just buy more zen.

Ah well. I don't like it, or personally agree with it, but now, at least, I understand how it happened.

::WARNING:: This game is not intended for use as a source of self-esteem.
Career Officer
# 69
08-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1derfull1 View Post

As to why Cryptic would chose to devote the time and resources to create such projects, well I suppose that's explained by the dilithium cost: a handy dilithium sink - which is likely also why they time gate the projects. Oh can't finish it in time to start the next one, just buy more zen.
Hence why we don't have a huge number of choices in bridges', per Taco's recent comments.

I think, though, that if Cryptic has chosen to monetize the fleet holdings in this way, they should give us a real bang for our buck. So stuff like huge tubes of dilithium is pretty cool. A bunch of random animals on the base is not cool.
Rihannsu
# 70
08-22-2013, 03:04 PM
that is cool!