Captain
# 1 The Guardian Of Forever?
11-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Anyone know where I can find "The Guardian Of Forever" ? I'm creating a new story and I have searched Everywhere on the proper map from "city on the edge of never", and even chose the "Gateway ground" for the back-drop yet I still can't find the

"Guardian Of Forever" , and my only guess is, that this feature has not been added to the Foundry for some reason....

What a shame... I also noticed that you can not have the Mission Door-way at the Gateway system itself, the closest one is the JFS 47 System.

So, is the Guardian in the Foundry to use? or not? Anyone know ?
Captain
# 2
11-05-2013, 07:09 AM
I'm not a foundry author so I don't know where you'd go to find it, but it is definitely there somewhere. I've played foundry missions that have used it.
Captain
# 3
11-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peetapipmac View Post
I'm not a foundry author so I don't know where you'd go to find it, but it is definitely there somewhere. I've played foundry missions that have used it.
actually if you look at post # 5 on this thread:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=859971

you will find that some have said it is not.

Yet I am still unsure whether for certain if it is or is not there. I keep looking but can't find it anywhere....
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
11-05-2013, 07:23 AM
If it isn't on Gateway Ground, than I don't think we have access to it, cause as far as I know it is not a detail object.

Someone, I think possibly it was Kirkfat, built their own.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Captain
# 5
11-05-2013, 07:30 AM
Yeah, it was Kirkfat (username on this board is kirksplat). His spotlight mission "Relics" uses a homemade expy of the Guardian of Forever that is very, very good.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Captain
# 6
11-05-2013, 07:33 AM
No, it's definitely in there somewhere I have seen it being used on several different maps.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
11-05-2013, 07:38 AM
The ground map for Gateway exists in the editor

The actual guardian, if it is in the editor, is not named something you would logically consider looking for. (there might be copywrite/legal reasons for this, do a search for Harlan Ellison and City on the Edge of Forever and enjoy the reading!)

The backdrop does nothing to influence what appears on the map, it is just the 'skyfile' IE what the atmosphere looks like
Captain
# 8
11-05-2013, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
If it isn't on Gateway Ground, than I don't think we have access to it, cause as far as I know it is not a detail object.

Someone, I think possibly it was Kirkfat, built their own.
Thank you for all your answers, I'd have to agree with you drogyn,

after much searching, I have not found the Guardian itself. So I have decided to make one (not very well LOL, but it does the job for the story).

Appreciate all the replies. Thanks all.
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
11-05-2013, 05:25 PM
The usage rights of the "Guardian of Forever" are more restrictive. It is a "character" that is still considered the Intellectual Property of the person who wrote the Original TOS story and not CBS.

Cryptic gained rights to use it from the IP Holder (in this case not CBS) to use it in their mission but those rights do not extend to us being allowed to use it in our foundry missions.

Kirkfat's "Relics" creates a being like the Guardian of Forever but it is actually the Guardian of Balance. A different character despite the similarities.

So short answer, no, we can't use specifically the Guardian of Forever.
Captain
# 10
11-06-2013, 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazag View Post
The usage rights of the "Guardian of Forever" are more restrictive. It is a "character" that is still considered the Intellectual Property of the person who wrote the Original TOS story and not CBS.

Cryptic gained rights to use it from the IP Holder (in this case not CBS) to use it in their mission but those rights do not extend to us being allowed to use it in our foundry missions.

Kirkfat's "Relics" creates a being like the Guardian of Forever but it is actually the Guardian of Balance. A different character despite the similarities.

So short answer, no, we can't use specifically the Guardian of Forever.
Wow! I am Very Glad you told me this!

Thank you.

I didn't know that. It's too bad, cause now I have to go back through the Entire Project, and change alot of story, dialogue, maps...... boy oh boy....

***sigh****

dang it ! It's Star Trek! Grrrr.

well anyhow thanks for letting me know , I do appreciate it.

Time to go back and make alot of changes.

agggggggghhhhhhhhhh!

update:

problem solved. LOL, just deleted the name of the guardian in my story, and created a new name, which strangely enough, was the name of my Mission anyhow.

Talk about meant to be title.

Also added some more dialogue to integrate the changes.

So thanks once again, for letting me know bout that !

Last edited by amahood; 11-06-2013 at 06:22 AM.