Career Officer
# 11
08-21-2013, 04:45 PM
I know what you're saying, analogy included. Perhasp Bran could pass along the workaround somehow.

Maybe I just missed the Foundry challenge ...even though I never enter it

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Captain
# 12
08-21-2013, 05:48 PM
I will say this about the challenge, and it's not meant to critique BF or the challenge as it's intended.

Right now, winning these contests earns us three things:

1. The ability for players to find and see our mission (when that has become really difficult for non-spotlights due to the recent changes to the lists, as well as the cluttering of exploits/grinders). Having a spotlight is about the only way (at this point) to get plays for a new mission, as well as other missions, if folks like our spotlight and do a custom search.
2. A bonus incentive to play the mission for dil, plus the tips that come from plays.
3. $12 worth of zen.

I submit that the prize #1 should not be a prize at all. It should be how the normal system works, as far as giving players the ability to see our new missions. Because it does not, then I feel like these challenges and the main prize they award (#1) showcase just how bad the situation has become. Since the only way to get any plays at this point is to win a contest, because the listings are essentially broken.

Let's compare shall we? A new contest winner now has 2000 reviews. A second place has 92, even when featured in a STO blog. What do you think it's like, then, for the non-contest missions out there? They are sometimes lucky to qualify for rewards after weeks and weeks.

1. should be the regular state of affairs.

I'll give you guys $12 to fix it. So would every other Foundry author who is basically wasting their time making missions for a game that doesn't give them the luxury of even adequately displaying the missions they make for the players who care to play them.

What is being dangled as a carrot is what should not be a carrot. That stinks.

Last edited by kirksplat; 08-21-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 13
08-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Can this be postponed until the Foundry is more "stable" took me 15 minutes just to get through the loading screen :/

Then can we have some map and uniform updates please :/
Career Officer
# 14
08-21-2013, 07:14 PM
On tonights recording of the Roundtable, I express what would make all the difference for me.
The point I am agreeing with the most is what Drogyn says here

"...And not everyone knows about the workaround, that makes it so authors are not on an even footing. We'd all like this to be a fair contest, right?"

The workaround for the slow preview load time as discovered by Kirkfat really does work for the slow down because of the right hand menu.

The newly discovered slow down from doing anything with costumes cam also be worked around, IF you know that after working on any costumes , once you are done with costumes, save the mission and exit , then reenter the editor, and your preview times will be okay.

basically, along with this challenge, There needs to be a stickied bit of information readily and boldly linked from everything to do with the challenge. The original announcement thread, the first post here in this thread, etc.

Basically, anyone entering should know that the problems can be worked around, and how to do it.

I still agree with Drogyn, that

"It's patching the leak yourself with duct tape when you really need the plumber to install a new pipe."

but so long as all potential entrants have access to the duct tape, then I'm a little more okay with the whole thing.

By the way I feel the workaround information should be information the Powers that be are putting out there for ALL authors to know. If the problem doesn't have a fix that is in the reasonable forseeable future, this community discovered workaround at least makes the tool useable.

Just my two slips of latinum

Last edited by hippiejon; 08-21-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Career Officer
# 15
08-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Today was the first day I had been in the foundry for a few weeks. I actually didn't experience any long loading screens.
Commander
# 16
08-21-2013, 10:30 PM
I personally haven't got the workaround to work properly on mine, and it seems a hassle to have to do it that particular anyway - trying to get it to work has been just as disruptive as the long waiting. And I agree with Kirk on the main incentive on this is visibility which ought not be a problem. StarbaseUGC was on a far better track by having a challenge just on story, acknowledging the state of the foundry. How is the average foundry author meant to come up with anything with a chance in hell of winning when getting the foundry to work has become an art form in itself?

& Rose Tinted Mirror (Fed 31+)
Rihannsu
# 17
08-21-2013, 10:32 PM
for more info on the loading bug: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...=808041&page=3

It seems to have multiple causes. But saving, exiting, and reloading is actually faster than sitting through a 4min loading screen. :/
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 18
08-21-2013, 11:54 PM
I am SO gonna play all of these missions .
Survivor of Romulus
# 19
08-22-2013, 12:48 AM
I am so wanting to create a mission using catstar's magnificent youtube movie
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message ^^
Lieutenant
# 20
08-22-2013, 06:10 AM
Before I commit myself to this, I have a question. It's about this statement -

Quote:
NOTE: Please do not publish your mission until the morning of Wednesday, October 2nd, as close to 10am PDT as possible, but not after***.
I leave the house by 4:30am PDT, for work. So posting the mission "as close to 10am PDT as possible, but not after" is impossible for me. Is 4:30am acceptable? Can it be changed to "Wednesday, October 2nd, between 12:01 - 10am PDT?"

If this is set in stone that's ok, I will most likely miss the deadline anyway. I just need to know before I spend a month making a mission. This one looks really good, can't wait to play these.