Commander
# 1 Foundry + Exploration = Win
08-22-2013, 08:37 AM
I'm sure this has been brought up before. Unfortunately its against the TOS to post in threads that have been inactive for so long.
We've got all this good content, authored by players.
They've been 'reviewed' so as to make sure there isn't any nastiness in the majority of them.

Why not add some of these foundry missions to the explore clusters? beefing out our semi-dead exploration development. At the same time introducing players to some of the user generated content.

My idea would be to allow authors to submit their missions to a section dedicated to be randomly seeded into our current exploration maps.
Certain criteria would have to be met, like starting points, duration, difficulty.
Foundries to be considered and approved would have to meet these criteria, be reviewed by a number of people and forwarded to the , devs? for inclusion in the various star clusters.
Perhaps limit it to one per every three exploration missions.

We've got miles and miles of content here that only a very small subset of players actually gets to experience. Granted its usually because there is something else they feel they 'need' to do more than jump into the foundry,
Dilithium for the featured ep is great, really,, but how about let us players really beef out the boring cookiecuttter exploration missions we currently, uh, enjoy.
Captain
# 2
08-22-2013, 11:18 AM
I completely agree. This way we'll never run out of stuff to explore.
Commander
# 3
08-22-2013, 12:44 PM
That is partly planned in the "Founders of the Federation" expansion no? They want to add a sector block between Sirius and the Cardassian sectors that would be mainly for foundry missions. Sounds a bit lazy to me to be honest, but could be cool.

Would be cool to arrive at a system and have a random list of 3 fairly high ranking missions pop up in the "enter x system" style.

& Rose Tinted Mirror (Fed 31+)
Career Officer
# 4
08-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisscience View Post
That is partly planned in the "Founders of the Federation" expansion no? They want to add a sector block between Sirius and the Cardassian sectors that would be mainly for foundry missions. Sounds a bit lazy to me to be honest, but could be cool.

Would be cool to arrive at a system and have a random list of 3 fairly high ranking missions pop up in the "enter x system" style.
I heard that they have changed these plans and intend to use that sector with the Gateway

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Captain
# 5
08-23-2013, 01:50 PM
I would love this, to have a second little button next to the spotlight submission

the increased exposure to players would be great, foundry authors deserve more plays, Players want more exploration

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
Career Officer
# 6
08-23-2013, 01:57 PM
What about a contest like the Foundry Challenge?

Instead of being spotlit the top five missions become the new exploration missions for a certain cluster.

Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
Career Officer
# 7
08-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Using the Foundry to 'fill in' unknown space would be awesome.

It seems most of the named clusters, nebulas, etc. though, are currently kind of 'back yard' exploration zones. I mean look at all the official (random) encounters you find there - most of them are based on previous experience and established small colonies/bases. The beings there already have had contact with the Federation or Empire before and aren't shy about telling you as much.

So how about this proposal until a real, major revamp of the exploration system can be done to give us a truely Trek-like exploration experience:

In addition to the OPs idea of addding Foundry missions into the mix of exploration clusters, how about giving us a generic "deep space" exploration box that includes nothing but 'strange new worlds' (i.e. Foundry missions) every time we hit one of those 'Deep Space' borders in game? (I sure would like to see that message "You don't have permission to travel into Deep Space" go bye bye!)

The strange new worlds missions in this new exploration zone would have to be tagged as such by the authors (and there are plenty already made!) so that you wouldn't randomly end up with a Foundry mission that, say, takes place at ESD for example.
Free the Foundry with a simple, new User Interface: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1316881
(My consolidated list of game improvements for STO: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=990371)
Captain
# 8
08-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhunter1 View Post
Using the Foundry to 'fill in' unknown space would be awesome.

It seems most of the named clusters, nebulas, etc. though, are currently kind of 'back yard' exploration zones. I mean look at all the official (random) encounters you find there - most of them are based on previous experience and established small colonies/bases. The beings there already have had contact with the Federation or Empire before and aren't shy about telling you as much.

So how about this proposal until a real, major revamp of the exploration system can be done to give us a truely Trek-like exploration experience:

In addition to the OPs idea of addding Foundry missions into the mix of exploration clusters, how about giving us a generic "deep space" exploration box that includes nothing but 'strange new worlds' (i.e. Foundry missions) every time we hit one of those 'Deep Space' borders in game? (I sure would like to see that message "You don't have permission to travel into Deep Space" go bye bye!)

The strange new worlds missions in this new exploration zone would have to be tagged as such by the authors (and there are plenty already made!) so that you wouldn't randomly end up with a Foundry mission that, say, takes place at ESD for example.
This right here, is a winning idea

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
Commander
# 9
08-24-2013, 12:28 AM
Yes I've always wanted to see more of that kind of thing. A bit flaw in STO is you're never on the frontier proper. It is more DS9/lateTNG in that you are never too far from a Starbase. Should have the option to go on a long deep space voyage where you progress through a series of missions far outside Federation space where you have the chance to make lots of new First Contacts etc. If you complete the series you get a reward for doing so (a huge one of you played on elite as you had no access to starbase shipyards & medical facilities) and return home. You have the option of quitting and coming home early but you get no reward.

To gather these missions, some would be Cryptic designed but the bulk could be gathered from foundry authors who could 'submit to exploration' and if it fits the criteria they put it in and they're given out to the players at random when they accept a '5 year mission' deep space exploration series.

& Rose Tinted Mirror (Fed 31+)
Career Officer
# 10
08-24-2013, 01:08 AM
I'm with you guys but I'm at the opinion that Cryptic won't want to spend too much money (more like any money) vetting missions that players submit so they can't just depend on the author saying "hey my mission is an exploration mission". This is also after they have invested money into getting the exploration clusters to run off foundry missions in the first place.

There needs to be some way to make sure foundry missions that show up in exploration clusters actually work in that circumstance and isn't just some random grinder mission.