Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Romulan Gameplay
Login

Captain
Hey everybody,

I was actually curious as to why a lot of people hate this guy. I'm one of those people that dislike him, but i wanted to hear your specific reasons. But to make it equal i would also like to hear from the people that do like him.

In as few words as possible describe why you dislike or like him. Please do not debate the right or wrong with other posters, just post if you LIKE or DISLIKE him and why (be specific). I'll start:

DISLIKE Tovan

why?

-during cutscenes he has a tendency to butt in or 'steal the show' so to speak
-he is too 'intertwined' into the episode story content
-cannot be discharged
-when not part of the away team he still shows up in the pop up dialogue window
-when not in your away team sometimes his head is replaced by a generic andorian head (probably a placeholder)

So thats it for me...I guess the last straw for me was when i was doing a mission. I wont go over specifics for spoiler reasons, but basically i captured one of my enemies in a force field. It switched to the cutscene and front and center is Tovan (note: he wasnt a member of my away team either). His line went something like this: "OK you! time to answer some questions". He takes a few steps forward says some more dialogue but the questioning portion is interrupted. I wont say why due to spoilers, but the reason isn't relevant to the point i was trying to make. I was expecting it to be me that was front and center. Even though our player characters are mute, meaning that the scene would not have been as dramatic, it still should have been me up there. Anyways enough about that...
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
05-24-2013, 03:07 PM
despise

1 He won't shut the hell up
2 He keeps saying "were going to need a new plan"
3 he blew up a shuttle
4 I am planning to have some reman crews for my reman captains and he isn't dismissable
5 he has a bad attitude
6 I was on nimbus and there were 30 of them out and about
Career Officer
# 3
05-24-2013, 03:14 PM
I really like the guy.

I've always wanted BOFFs with a story of their own, their own look and their own voice since I first started playing the game.

His scenes and story (from what I have seen so far) are really well done, and I can see that a lot of work has gone into creating these new BOFFs, and Khev most especially. This is, quite frankly the best content I have ever seen in this game (in my opinion).

The only problem I see with this new direction, is having to go through Khev's story every time I want to create a new Romulan.

For Ship Charts and Videos - STARFISH1.CO.UK
Captain
# 4
05-24-2013, 03:14 PM
For me he is symbolic of everything I dislike about LoR.

He dictates my characters actions and even personality with little to no input from me.

He is a hamfisted vehicle for Cryptic's shoehorned in Romulan Republic storyline. Listening to him is like listening to Propaganda.

Chains you to the Romulan republic faction where I'd rather be fightign for the RSE.

Never gives you the opportunity to tell him to shut up. Or even to dissent.

It's abundantly clear that LoR is meant to be his story and not ours.

Won't shut up about his sister or how mean and bad the Tal Shiar/Sela are.
Republic Veteran
# 5
05-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewbie View Post
So thats it for me...I guess the last straw for me was when i was doing a mission. I wont go over specifics for spoiler reasons, but basically i captured one of my enemies in a force field. It switched to the cutscene and front and center is Tovan (note: he wasnt a member of my away team either). His line went something like this: "OK you! time to answer some questions". He takes a few steps forward says some more dialogue but the questioning portion is interrupted. I wont say why due to spoilers, but the reason isn't relevant to the point i was trying to make. I was expecting it to be me that was front and center. Even though our player characters are mute, meaning that the scene would not have been as dramatic, it still should have been me up there. Anyways enough about that...
Installation 18 Was the first mission as well for me where he wasn't included in the ground party setup. The disconnect in the cutscenes/story without him is rather poorly done.
Captain
# 6
05-24-2013, 03:55 PM
I like the character, but I do wish he was a bit more customizable. I was hoping to do an all-Reman crew at some point, but it doesn't look like that'll happen anytime soon.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
# 7
05-24-2013, 04:31 PM
I like how they give us a voiced boff that is more then just someone to use for a few levels then dismiss as we get very rares later.
Captain
# 8
05-24-2013, 04:43 PM
I enjoy the fact that he has an in-depth story. I also like, as an unabashedly RR player, that sometimes he says the snarky things I happen to be thinking. For example, I got a kick out of his crack about the Nausicaans and I was imagining my toon throwing out one-liners of her own. ("Really? They followed us to another system?" Nausicaan: "Nothing's better than killing Romulans!" My toon: "Ooh, I know what is! Getting killed BY Romulans!"). Or during a certain mission where you participate in a very questionable space battle, Tovan says exactly what I'm thinking about that idea.

Some sort of acknowledgment of the wrongness of Divide et Imperative on the Fed side, along those lines, would've gone a long way.

But I'm basically with whoever said in another thread, "Tovan's my wingman." Once I got him to look and dress the way I wanted him to (to fit the unconventional man I had in mind who would've so closely befriended a Reman woman, damn the social stigma and nasty innuendos he would've had to put up with from other Romulans), I felt like he really fit into my story. Yes, he has a lot to do with the story too, but my toon has a definite motivation to help him since their friendship goes back so far.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-24-2013, 04:49 PM
DISLIKE. HATE. DESPISE. LOATHE. Wish to VIOLENTLY KILL.

For every reason said in this thread so far.

I liked giving my own stories to my boffs. The ones that I picked.

My only hope is that when the Cardassian faction is released, there'll be a mission where we capture Tovan and subject him to gratuitous torture in the name of justice.
Career Officer
# 10
05-24-2013, 05:10 PM
So much undeserved hate.

So, he's not stellar. A bit bland, definitely a "goody-goody" in the vein of Spider-Man (snarky but not a jerk).

But I've never found him to be imposing upon my character. His dialog assumes little about my toon beyond the fact they have been friends a while, so it's never bothered me. And, IMO, he has a gift for knowing just when I'm starting to get tired of him talking; the writer seems to have a great grasp of how much dialog is enough when voiced. His story has very little impact on what I'm doing as well, and some of it is even optional (such as asking certain NPCs about his sister).

I can see why people would be upset about aspects of him, though. The undismissable thing is definitely a mark against him, as is the customizability thing. His biggest problem is he leaves little wiggle room for a truly evil character to make any sense alongside him.

Ultimately he adds a lot to the RR story, and I wouldn't have it any other way. He makes it more engaging, more interesting, and maybe even a little more fun. One BOff slot is a small sacrifice for the quality he helps bring to everything.