Captain
Maybe it seems like a weird question. Has the Foundry improved overall since season 3?

We can point to several new features, from multiselect to patrols to the spotlights, etc. We can also point to new assets, etc. Or, we could point to steps backward, from the current state of the listings to the explosion of exploits to the removal of key features to the ways in which certain new features broke existing features or made things more difficult (object icons, etc.).

So, overall, how does the Foundry stand up to the test of time? Has it generally improved or is it generally worse than the state of our Foundry prior to season 4?

Last edited by kirksplat; 08-22-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Career Officer
# 2
08-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Simply put.

No actual stairs.

Stairs for petes sake.

Make mine from scratch, but really? There are much older but much better world-building programs out there (ex. oldschool bioware's nwn1... thats from the 90s)
<a href=http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5 target=_blank>http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5</a>
Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
08-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Uhhh... Taking forever to load... still waiting on outfits (jupiter, S31 etc) since.... a long time ago

Starfleet Veteran
# 4
08-22-2013, 06:35 PM
That's a tough question. If I think about it, I'd have to say, it is the same. We have gotten patrols and multi select which are good things to have. We lost costume importing and we went from basic green outlines for objects to worse solid objects that make it impossible to see what you're doing occasionaly. Our search went from bad to worse and we have to wait an average of 4 minutes to preview a map(without the workaround), but NPCs can disappear now, which was a devsend.

So I'd have to say, it's the same. What we need is a real upgrade. First fix what's broken, then add both costumes and assets, as in items, maps, building blocks with more than 3 textures, including a greenscreen platform and wall, more varied NPC animations, triggered sound effects and music, an invisible targetable object, the ability to disable as well as kill, the ability to use more details as skins for mobs(satellites), and yes, stairs.

I'm sure there are lots of things I've overlooked, but pound for pound, I think we are no worse, but no better off than before S4.

Just my 2 cents.
Rihannsu
# 5
08-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Has the STO Foundry Improved Since Season 3?
YES!

Obviously it's my opinion, but I find the Foundry much easier to work with now than it was in Season 3.

I has a lot of new features that newer authors never knew were missing back then. I remember back when you HAD to make every enemy you placed on the map part of a kill objective. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Then there's the TONS of new assets. I'm not kidding. Sure it's "just a few things" here and there, but it adds up over time. There is WAY more stuff than there was back then, maybe as much as twice what we had to work with in Season 3.

I have to say it's a lot better. Sure costume import is gone for now.... but that didn't exist in Season 3 either. Needless to say more assets would be better still, but the number of assets we have now is in no way worse than in Season 3.

I think my #1 request in the new stuff department would be more contact animations for dailog screens. the 8 or so we have now are useful, but there are a lot of situations where I'd like something else.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.

Last edited by markhawkman; 08-22-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Career Officer
# 6
08-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Things have definitely improved. There's a lot more features and assets, and the foundry is front row and centre on the mission UI.

Is there even more room to improve? For sure

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
08-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Yes

/10char
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forums are like Sanctuary Districts, complete with Gimmes, Ghosts and Dims.
Captain
# 8
08-22-2013, 09:04 PM
I'm going to say yes as well. And not just with the system but with the communication with the Devs where the system is involved. Is it perfect? No. Is it where we would all like it? Pretty sure everyone knows that answer.

But yes, it has gotten better since season 3. I think we're all susceptible to looking at the worst right now.

I tell you, if they rolled back the code flat I know you'd see a big difference.
Career Officer
# 9
08-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Yes, it has improved, albeit in a decidedly 2-steps-forward-1-step-back kind of way.
Career Officer
# 10
08-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Improved Overall, yes. But not by much.

Aside from some bells and whistles, the core functionality is pretty much the same as it was when the Foundry tool was first introduced.