Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 846
# 11
08-23-2013, 12:56 AM
The major Foundry improvement was the one where it was made much more responsive. I don't know if that was S3 or pre-S3. But it used to be that the editor got so slow as more objects were added. So, obviously the Foundry is much better since then, since before that it was borderline unusable.

However, since that point, with the exploits and the proliferation of grinders that has gone completely unaddressed, and not being able to see more than the top 50 missions, I'd say it's taken a step back overall. The new features don't do enough to counter the new bugs/issues, in my opinion.


Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16,704
# 12
08-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
However, since that point, with the exploits and the proliferation of grinders that has gone completely unaddressed, and not being able to see more than the top 50 missions, I'd say it's taken a step back overall.
I have to disagree. In S3, no one tried to farm the foundry for loot since you (almost) never got any loot worth keeping.

And truthfully, there WERE grinders back then(remember the Grand Nagus?) it's just that grinding Foundry didn't get you much of anything. Seriously.... you would get one random item that may or may not be worth keeping for doing THREE foundry missions, and only once per day. Wait there was another option... I think it was a small amount of EC.... not sure.

Back then, fun stories were pretty much the ONLY reason to play Foundry at all.

The search tool definately needs worked on though.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 846
# 13
08-24-2013, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Back then, fun stories were pretty much the ONLY reason to play Foundry at all.
Well, personally I think that was better. I don't really feel blowing up 30 battleships adds much to the game. People could just as easily play Cryptic's "No win scenario".


Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 846
# 14
08-24-2013, 02:10 AM
Maybe put another way, we've now got a Foundry that basically revolves around grinders and farming loot. There are still storyline missions, but they are largely buried. We can even ignore the serious bugs that have been added to the editor.

Does anyone here really feel the Foundry was worth adding to allow for "Royal Rumbles"? I personally feel if that was what the Foundry was sold as being about, I would have simply said that Cryptic should just focus on other game play mechanics, or making more Cryptic-made story missions.

If the purpose of the Foundry isn't primarily about creating stories, then it has no real purpose. I feel the changes (and bugs) to the Foundry over the last year or so have made it so making stories is actually discouraged compared to making cheap, grind content. Thus, my opinion is the Foundry is overall in much worse shape than before.


Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16,704
# 15
08-24-2013, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
Maybe put another way, we've now got a Foundry that basically revolves around grinders and farming loot. There are still storyline missions, but they are largely buried. We can even ignore the serious bugs that have been added to the editor.

Does anyone here really feel the Foundry was worth adding to allow for "Royal Rumbles"? I personally feel if that was what the Foundry was sold as being about, I would have simply said that Cryptic should just focus on other game play mechanics, or making more Cryptic-made story missions.

If the purpose of the Foundry isn't primarily about creating stories, then it has no real purpose. I feel the changes (and bugs) to the Foundry over the last year or so have made it so making stories is actually discouraged compared to making cheap, grind content. Thus, my opinion is the Foundry is overall in much worse shape than before.
I agree there, but like I said.... there WERE grinders in the old foundry they just weren't as popular.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 440
# 16
08-24-2013, 02:44 PM
I've not got around to trying to make a Foundry mission yet (meaning to, when I can come up with a good plot idea), but I've played a whole lot of them, and I never have any difficulty finding good story ones. They're still out there. Hundreds of them.

(The farming missions do usually come quite high on the ranking, though. Puzzled to know why, when there are so many more fun missions!)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:04 AM.