Captain
# 21
08-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Is there any way to force particular mobs to spawn in a mob group? I'm trying to make a carrier variant of the Prometheus-class by reskinning an Armitage mob. Is that too specific for the Foundry?
Rihannsu
# 22
08-26-2013, 06:08 AM
Fed mobs are annoying like that.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 23
08-26-2013, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
Is there any way to force particular mobs to spawn in a mob group? I'm trying to make a carrier variant of the Prometheus-class by reskinning an Armitage mob. Is that too specific for the Foundry?
You could mix a battleship with a fighter group, but the promethous is a little small to be a carrier. (Think the size of Voyager)

@greendragoon
Captain
# 24
08-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
You could mix a battleship with a fighter group, but the promethous is a little small to be a carrier. (Think the size of Voyager)
About sixty meters bigger than Voyager, actually. I bulked it up a little bit using Phoenix-class hull sections and removed the MVAM fluff-wise. I envision the USS Marduk as being something of a fast pocket carrier for surgical attacks rather than a fleet carrier like the Atrox. EDIT: It's also supposed to be a prototype that didn't pan out into a construction contract.

Using a battleship group and fighter group seems like a good workaround.

Last edited by starswordc; 08-26-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Captain
# 25
08-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Ok, then, new question. I have a Fed battleship group right now that I named individually but the one that always spawns is the Typhoon-class USS Dominant; similarly the two cruiser groups always give me USS Hanson and USS Ivanova.* It would make the above workaround look way better if level-scaling (resulting in more ships from a group spawning) doesn't result in a half-dozen USS Marduks from me having to custom-title and reskin them all.

Now I've looked at the item listing and Dominant, Ivanova, and Hanson each have the lowest object number within their groups. Does this low number guarantee they will always spawn first?

* Babylon 5 reference FTW.
Starfleet Veteran
# 26
08-26-2013, 11:44 AM
The mysteries of group scaling are revealed here:

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/tra...ling-for-npcs/

Bookmark it now. I'll wait.

Okay, the lowest number corisponds to 1, second lowest = 2 and so on. You can use this to map out exactly what will spawn as the group size grows and plan accordingly. Odds are you'll have a couple copies of your hero ship and fill in the rest with generic backup.

@greendragoon
Captain
# 27
08-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Bookmarked. Kudos to the folks who worked all that out!
Captain
# 28
09-12-2013, 07:24 PM
This is more of a writing question than a programming question. I've made a thread in Ten Forward for it as well.

I need a short, layman-like secondhand description of something technobabbly that a Luna-class did. The speaker is a tactical captain who's describing something he saw and doesn't completely understand.

Right now I've got "Oh, you wouldn't believe the crazy things I've seen captains do with a Luna-class. <insert secondhand description of techobabble>."

Also, kudos to whomever wrote the guide on the STO wiki for making a Cardassian out of generic alien parts. It's the guy in the above question (Pic), who's from an originally Cardassian planet that ended up on the Federation side of the border when they redrew them. (Call back to TNG: "The Wounded".)
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Starfleet Veteran
# 29
09-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
This is more of a writing question than a programming question. I've made a thread in Ten Forward for it as well.

I need a short, layman-like secondhand description of something technobabbly that a Luna-class did. The speaker is a tactical captain who's describing something he saw and doesn't completely understand.

Right now I've got "Oh, you wouldn't believe the crazy things I've seen captains do with a Luna-class. <insert secondhand description of techobabble>."
I once saw a Luna class take out a squadron of Romulan warbirds by creating a subspace inversion field and then detonating a charged particle burst.

@greendragoon
Captain
# 30
09-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Nice!

I'm really no good at technobabble, though I've had this idea kicking around in my head for a particle called an oscillon whose charge follows the Heisenberg principle: its charge is indeterminate until measured.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer