Lt. Commander
# 1 g15 keyboard
01-26-2010, 09:08 AM
will there be any issues/repricusions with using g15 keyboards hotkey/binds/macro's ?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-26-2010, 09:39 AM
I assume what you're wondering is if Cryptic will see a macro-capable keyboard like the G15 , pull a Blizzard Entertainment, and yell "Hacker!!!" and ban your account, and sue your grandmother, and call the president on you, and make SWAT teams storm your house and steal your PC, and freeze your bank account and confiscate your life savings, and kill your dog, and deport you to some other country.

Fortunately, the answer is probably no.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-0F-9
will there be any issues/repricusions with using g15 keyboard hotkey/binds ?
Anything you do for input on your end of the client to server connection (on your PC) is going to be your business and your business alone. Macros, scripts, whatever, it's your PC, you do with it what you want. On that note, I use a G19 keyboard, left-hand controllers like the N52, and a G9x mouse. I've used G15 keyboards in the past too.

With that said...

Cryptic might have problem with unattended gameplay (ie: botting) since this is usually done by "gold farmers". In terms of STO, since there is an Auction House (Exchange), it would be Energy Credit Farmer. Also, with unattended gameplay, you pretty much leave your account logged in all the time even when you're not playing, so that's a drain on their network bandwidth and processing power. STO is designed to be played, after all, not camped at 24/7.

And on that note...

Hacking anything on the client would be seriously frowned upon as well, and could most likely lead to account bans or even lawsuits.

So...

Anything you do on your end for how you handle your own input is up to you so long as you're not botting or causing issues for others or the servers with your customized input. I'm sure that would be close to what Cryptic devs would echo, although I don't know if they have firm policies in place just yet regarding botting and such.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-26-2010, 10:17 AM
I have an older G15 the one with the flip screen and black and white and I am having no issues. i am surpised to see the game work well with it be able to see my stats on the screen. Man I love the G15.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-26-2010, 11:45 AM
so i can use a g15/script to ease my "AT KEYBOARD" gameplay , and relive my fingers of whacking the keys continualy
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-26-2010, 11:50 AM
Quote:
is there any 100% clarification from "dev"/"moderator" ? on this matter plz ?
Do you need clarification to use a certain browser when using someone else's website? No. Why should you need one from Cryptic to use whatever keyboard with their game?

It's your PC.

But I have a feeling that devs won't be able to post an official announcement on this without first a more defined policy in place after launch.

You edited your post, so I'll edit mine to reply...

Quote:
so i can use a g15/script to ease my "AT KEYBOARD" gameplay , and relive my fingers of whacking the keys continualy
I don't see why not.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-26-2010, 11:56 AM
thank you for the replys
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Our policy is exactly what you would think it is: you can use whatever keyboard you want. Any form of automation of gameplay is grounds for a ban, and "I thought this macro would be okay" won't hold up as an excuse. Basically if you are using macros to do anything more complex than our existing /bind system already does for you, you are probably doing something you shouldn't. If you have to ask the question "Will I get banned for this?" the answer is almost always "Yes". As for if we will ever ban someone simply because they have sneezed near a G15, no.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Our policy is exactly what you would think it is: you can use whatever keyboard you want. Any form of automation of gameplay is grounds for a ban, and "I thought this macro would be okay" won't hold up as an excuse. Basically if you are using macros to do anything more complex than our existing /bind system already does for you, you are probably doing something you shouldn't. If you have to ask the question "Will I get banned for this?" the answer is almost always "Yes". As for if we will ever ban someone simply because they have sneezed near a G15, no.
This includes the popular spacebar macros? If it does, you might let the folks know on the massive and many auto-fire threads. Better to warn in beta than ban in live.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Basically if you are using macros to do anything more complex than our existing /bind system already does for you, you are probably doing something you shouldn't. If you have to ask the question "Will I get banned for this?" the answer is almost always "Yes".
Hmmm.

What's the difference between rapidly pressing the spacebar to fire and having a script remap our spacebar key to repeat the space keystroke when held down? Or were you talking about macros to do automated gameplay like botting? We can certainly all agree botting is wrong.

As for macros to do annoying/repetitive tasks, you know some gamepads alreayd have "rapid fire" buttons, etc. And the Logitech G13, G15, G19, G110 and other macro keyboards (ie: Razer, etc.) can do quite complicated macros beyond what the /bind command can do.

Coderanger, where do you draw the line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackphat View Post
This includes the popular spacebar macros? If it does, you might let the folks know on the massive and many auto-fire threads. Better to warn in beta than ban in live.
Indeed. A warn for abuse is better. Sounds very open-ended the way Coderanger defined it.