Commander
Quick question. In my story, which Boff would you guys say I should use for whoever would be saying "Captain, incoming transmission", etc. The ship's Tac officer or Science officer?

If you like Foundry missions, try mine here!
Rihannsu
# 2
08-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Yeah one of those. Which one I use depends on the situation. If the sci guy is talking about something we just scanned, then I use the tac, but if the tac has a larger role than the sci guy, then the sci guy gets to be comms.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 3
08-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Hmmm, good question

Instinctively i want to say Sciences, but thats more the science of the eqquipment

I would go for Opps which is probably the Eng boff

Personally I create my own Generic Comm Officer, as i have done with a Transporter chief NPC

This of course has pros and conns, I have a habit of using a non Player Boff becuase i don't like the uncertainty of unkown species, a Players Boff could be a Breen or Jem Hadar, the dialogue just can;t be predictable

The way i do it, i Know what species they are and gender, for example a female Bolian, this way i am free to have them referance cultural phrasers and make mention to their gender, the character could be flirty if i want, or serios, because while i have assigned them to the player for the mission, they are MY character, i decide the personality, rather than guessing the players Boffs

Also i like to add humor, which is hard to do with an unknown faceless boff

Thats not to say i don't use BOFFs, but normally i like to create my own Junior officers for this sort of thing

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
Captain
# 4
08-24-2013, 06:12 PM
I did a little bit of research on Memory Alpha when I had this question. Lore-wise, communications officer seems to be part of the science department (ref: Lieutenant (jg) Aquiel Uhnari from TNG: "Aquiel", notice the coloring of her uniform in the infobox picture). Use a science officer boff or make your own.

In general, Memory Alpha and Memory Beta are good sources for lore. The former is the live-action canon and TAS, the latter covers EU sources.

Last edited by starswordc; 08-24-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Career Officer
# 5
08-24-2013, 07:55 PM
Wasn't Uhura in red, like Scotty. In TOS that was Engineering, and disposable personnel. But then, security would be Tac, not Eng.

Lt. Alden was in blue (Sciences)
Lt. Ferrel was in gold (Command)
Lt.s Palmer and M"Ress were in red.

Uhura was also good with the interior working of the Comm station and shows a aptitude towards engineering.

Safest bet would be a severe inconsistency with the department responsible...
I love nice long walks in the country.
Especially if they're taken by people who annoy me!
Ar ais olc leis an doer olc

Last edited by oldkirkfan; 08-24-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Captain
# 6
08-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkirkfan View Post
Wasn't Uhura in red, like Scotty. In TOS that was Engineering, and disposable personnel. But then, security would be Tac, not Eng.

Lt. Alden was in blue (Sciences)
Lt. Ferrel was in gold (Command)
Lt.s Palmer and M"Ress were in red.

Uhura was also good with the interior working of the Comm station and shows a aptitude towards engineering.

Safest bet would be a severe inconsistency with the department responsible...
I think we're all quite aware that internal consistency, especially with nitpicks like which extra wears which uniform and which piece of technobabble does what, isn't exactly Star Trek's strong point. In TNG I think they switched command to red and engineering and security to yellow.

Fortunately for this discussion, Lt. Uhnari seems to be the only character in the 24th century canon who is explicitly identified as a communications officer, and STO mostly follows the TNG/DS9/VOY coloring model.

Last edited by starswordc; 08-24-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Commander
# 7
08-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll just see what feels right for the situation, since I'm only given the three colors in STO, lol.

If you like Foundry missions, try mine here!
Commander
# 8
08-24-2013, 11:41 PM
The role would be an operations role for sure, though I'd select someone who is relevant - under a battle situation I'd say tactical and if it is a strange sentient cloud of alien goo floating in space - science.

But after TOS/ENT eras, the Enterprise still received hails. Who answered? (well, relayed to the Captain) From memory, that would be Data in TNG (Operations Officer), Dax in DS9 (Science Officer, though they didn't have an Ops Officer) and Kim in Voyager (Operations Officer).

SO my rule of thumb in assigning roles is if it is to do with shooting it is tactical, if it is anything to do with sensors, thinking, medical etc then it is science and everything else is Ops.

Does anyone else wish we could assign all our offs to specific stations? The bridge doesn't have 3 officers. You have helm, navigation, operations, science, communications, engineering, tactical, first officer, counselor (wtf Troi?!), "local guide" (get off my damn bridge Neelix!), trainee ("shut up Wesley") and don't forget the sex appeal officer's station right above Janeway.

Occasionally you also have the medical officer storm on the bridge to exclaim emotionally at the captain and insult your first officer before dashing back down to sickbay again. So why can't I select your chief medical officer to storm onto your bridge after an alien force rocks the ship about so he can ask you what the hell you're up to rocking the ship around he's a doctor not an amusement ride tester! Stop saying I don't need to be on the bridge you green blooded Cryptic programmer, I can go where I damn well please! You realise how boring it is in sickbay? We only ever get action when you two come down here and that's usually to sexually harrass my nurses! Don't hypo me again just because I'm ranting, you remember what happened in City on the Edg-

& Rose Tinted Mirror (Fed 31+)
Career Officer
# 9
08-25-2013, 08:09 AM
With Worf for most of TNG in mind, I usually use tactical.
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
08-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Honestly, with the exception of TOS/Ent, it tended to fluctuate to who ever is the most convenient. I'd say you're fine with whomever. Really it's more about who fits the role better in the given situation.

If it's a battle situation, the tactical might feel more natural, then again, if the captain is talking about the tactical situation and you want the hail to come as a surprise, the engineer may fill that role. Perhaps there's subspace interference that needs to be overcome, the science the fills the role more comfortably.

So in the end, take your pick.

@greendragoon