Survivor of Romulus
Welcome to the Foundry Roundtable, a weekly podcast dedicated to Foundry missions, mission building and other UGC issues starring Foundry authors Drogyn1701, Markhawkman, Hippiejohn and Greendragoon.

We're on iTunes! Subscribe to our podcast by going to https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/...666311364?mt=2

Listen to it here, here and here:

Subjects:

News: New Foundry Challenge. We love them, but maybe not a good idea right now.
Mission tags for Neverwinter
Shout out to Stoutes and the other text reviewers out there
Scale in Star Trek
Tech Topic: Dialogue
What keeps you out of the Foundry?
Will we ever be allowed to import objects or textures?
Telling stories in other genres in the Foundry (romance, comedy, etc)
Responses to last week's question
New Question: What other game do you wish had the Foundry?

Missions:
Bloodthirsty Enemies by Amahood
The Writers of History by donkyhotay

Other Notes:

Hippie's microphone is kaput so he drops out part-way through, but he was still on the call so we read some of his inputs from chat.

No Frost Report this week since he's on vacation.

If you have a topic you?d like to see us cover or would like to be a guest-host, e-mail us at FoundryRoundtable@live.com or follow us on Twitter: @FoundryRoundtab
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for. Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Commander
# 2
08-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Great show again gents. On dialogue, the biggest issue I've had is that you can't treat pop-up as an objective; so when it completes I can't have events triggered off it. Annoys me soooo much! I like your discussion of genres, seeing more variety there in our stories I think is quite important. Several authors are doing a good job at trying different ideas. I think it is also good to try different settings - one thing that would really help that I think is greater control over how many boffs go on missions and more options for talking to them (so you can use the personal relationships with the members of your crew, not just "science officer" (which might not be the same each time).

& Rose Tinted Mirror (Fed 31+)
Career Officer
# 3
08-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisscience View Post
Great show again gents. On dialogue, the biggest issue I've had is that you can't treat pop-up as an objective; so when it completes I can't have events triggered off it...
Couldn't you use an Objective in Progress?

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Commander
# 4
08-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Not if you want something to change a result of the dialogue because it seems to register the new objective as soon as the dialogue begins, not at its completion.

& Rose Tinted Mirror (Fed 31+)
Career Officer
# 5
08-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisscience View Post
Not if you want something to change a result of the dialogue because it seems to register the new objective as soon as the dialogue begins, not at its completion.
What I did have a dialogue pop up on Objective Complete and then have the trigger (whatever you want happen) occur on Component Complete, where the component is the Map Dialogue Pop Up.

Not sure if that solves your exact problem.

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
08-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Hi all,

Nice podcast once again and thank you for the shout out! Awesome .

Optionals and dialogs
Working with optionals and letting the player follow "a story" with these optionals is certainly... interesting. After finishing the Kalferi II map as my first test using different outcomes I began making a ground story with two totally different outcomes using optional dialogs and stuff. I would love to show it but I'm just not finished yet.

While two different outcomes could really improve a story, it also doubles the amount of objects you need. This certainly limits your mission length (with the current object/dialog/etc limits in place).

Modding
Even though STO is the first game I have played for a while, I've always been modding my games in (un)official ways. These games were:
  • Duke nukem 3D - made new maps, different artwork and weapon strength differences. I did the same with the follow-up games who also used the BUILD engine as well.
  • Carmageddon TDR (if I am correct) - you were able to edit the vehicle config files like changing wheel width, ability to make a wheel steerable, strength, BHP, etc. That gave me unfair advantages against my brothers (lan-games were fun those days).
  • Need for Speed Hot Persuit - you could change vehicle models so you could drive trucks with the specs of a ferrari.

I've also been working with Cinema4D for a while, was fun! See these pics (1, 2, 3, 4 and 5) for the results.

Only thing I kept doing is programming (PHP) and some mild designing (Photoshop CS5). The curiousity / "wanting to know" attitude is something I've always had and helps me to this day .

Where to put Foundry in a different game?
Lol, I haven't played games in a long time so I certainly don't have an idea where to put it..
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message ^^
Career Officer
# 7
08-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Hey guys, your SoundCloud link still takes me to last week's episode. (The SoundCloud page says Episode 29 but the actual podcast there is Episode 28.)
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
08-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Oops, thanks for letting me know.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for. Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Career Officer
# 9
08-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Re: Time-travel missions

The main problem with trying to make time-travel missions in the Foundry is, of course, the dearth of assets (apart from TOS stuff) needed to make believable maps for specific time/space settings. One of the ideas I have in mind is a KDF trilogy about the slaying of the Klingons' gods, which according to Worf in DS9's "Homefront" took place a millennium prior. Alas, all the KDF buildings and most of the other KDF assets we have now would look very anachronistic in a story set 1,000 years ago. Not to mention that I'd also need a special space map of the Qo'noS system with Praxis still intact. (OK, I suppose I could make my own approximation of that.)

Re: Map dialogues

As I've mentioned in a couple of other threads, I just recently figured out how these work - much to my delight, as it allows me to redo the first map of "Ghosts of War, Part I" as a puzzle, the way I originally intended. I'm re-remastering the rest of the series too, in between work on my Valley of the Shadow Romulan series, so maybe I'll find other uses for map dialogues in later installments.

Re: What keeps me out of the Foundry

1) Real life
2) Actually playing STO (the only videogame I regularly play anymore)
3) Fantasy sports (at least around this time of year )
4) Trying to keep in some semblance of shape (though I'll often listen to this and other STO Foundry podcasts while working out)

Re: Missions in other genres

Another idea I've toyed with is one I'd call "Slash and Burn", which would be, in part, a parody of so-called "slash" fiction. If I ever do it, it'll probably either be a huge hit or fall completely flat.

Re: Tom Riker

According to Cryptic mission "Badlands", Tom Riker died many years prior, while trying to save his wife after she had fallen into a ravine. Their son Joshua is the one who tells you this.

Last edited by paxfederatica; 08-25-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
08-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Soundcloud version is fixed now.

And ol' Tom Riker's a wily SOB, I wouldn't be so sure about his death if I were you