Republic Veteran
# 1 Vidiian KDF-Only Content
08-26-2013, 12:10 PM
In "Faces" we see the Vidiian discovering that Klingons have a natural resistance to the Phage. What would be interesting is if we took this fact and turned it into a KDF-only story arc.

The Vidiians, having discovered there is a cure on the other side of the galaxy, gathers their entire race together for the cross-galaxy trip to Klingon space under the hope of finding a cure. But their knowledge of the KDF is somewhat limited and they find a race not very interested in helping them.

The Vidiian colonize a planet in Klingon space where they start attacking Klingon ships to harvest their organs, but mostly to gather blood samples. They are looking to cure the Phage once and for all.

The Klingons respond to these attacks in the appropriate manner, by invading the planet the Vidiians have colonized. But the KDF suffer heavy losses due to the advance Vidiian medical technology literally harvesting entire platoons. Plus, we have seen in series that Vidiian technology is at least on par with Federation technology.

This could also introduce a new type of STF: survival. You are caught on one side of the colony and your only goal is to survive to the other side and be evacuated. Sort of like Colony Invasion, but with an endless supply of mobs (remember, you are only trying to survive, not wipe out the enemy).

I could go into more detail, but I think this provides enough info to get the creative juices flowing. Even if the Vidiian lose the poll, there is no reason to not use them. Especially since they have KDF-only written all over them.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Career Officer
# 2
08-26-2013, 12:12 PM
The Vidiians were cured by the Think Tank so what's the point of them searching for a cure they already have?
Republic Veteran
# 3
08-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
The Vidiians were cured by the Think Tank so what's the point of them searching for a cure they already have?
Considering the Think Tank was deemed untrustworthy, you could easily write off that comment as a lie.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Career Officer
# 4
08-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post
Considering the Think Tank was deemed untrustworthy, you could easily write off that comment as a lie.
How convenient.
They would not have lied about something Voyager might have get chance to confirm even by sheer accident. In addition the recent novels confirm they Vidiians were cured.
Captain
# 5
08-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Quote:
How convenient.
They would not have lied about something Voyager might have get chance to confirm even by sheer accident. In addition the recent novels confirm they Vidiians were cured.
Like how they discovered that the Think Tank had set Voyager up so they could get Seven of Nine?

If they were willing to risk that, it's not hard to imagine they might just have made up a story designed to butter up the Voyager crew; they were familiar with the Vidiian's and the Phage, saying that they had cured it would have made a strong impression. There is no reason to assume that anything the Think Tank said was actually true.

And the novels only count if Cryptic wants them to.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Empire Veteran
# 6
08-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Quote:
In "Faces" we see the Vidiian discovering that Klingons have a natural resistance to the Phage. What would be interesting is if we took this fact and turned it into a KDF-only story arc.

The Vidiians, having discovered there is ...

This could also introduce a new type of STF: survival. You are caught on one side of the colony and your only goal is to survive to the other side and be evacuated. Sort of like Colony Invasion, but with an endless supply of mobs (remember, you are only trying to survive, not wipe out the enemy).
Really good idea, i hope dev see this post
Expand, or die.
Support: Ferengi cross faction!!

Career Officer
# 7
08-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Quote:

The Vidiians, having discovered there is a cure on the other side of the galaxy, gathers their entire race together for the cross-galaxy trip to Klingon space under the hope of finding a cure. But their knowledge of the KDF is somewhat limited and they find a race not very interested in helping them.

The Vidiian colonize a planet in Klingon space where they start attacking Klingon ships to harvest their organs, but mostly to gather blood samples. They are looking to cure the Phage once and for all.

The Klingons respond to these attacks in the appropriate manner, by invading the planet the Vidiians have colonized. But the KDF suffer heavy losses due to the advance Vidiian medical technology literally harvesting entire platoons. Plus, we have seen in series that Vidiian technology is at least on par with Federation technology.

I could go into more detail, but I think this provides enough info to get the creative juices flowing. Even if the Vidiian lose the poll, there is no reason to not use them. Especially since they have KDF-only written all over them.
Great idea! I'd love to see it! =)
Captain
# 8
08-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Quote:
It could be possible that the ingredients are so rare or valuable that it is logistically impossible to administer it to the entire population. The OP's implication is that part of the cure for the Phage involves something in Klingon biology that can't be duplicated.

I like the idea of a Vidiian-Klingon conflict. Especially if they are/were allied with Sela and the Tal Shiar. Also interesting could be drawing a compairison between the Vidiians and the Tarellians (TNG:Haven, they infected and nearly destoryed themselves with their own bioweapons).

A set of titles for Vidiian Ship or ground kills could be "Steralizer/Steralized" and "Purifier".
Captain
# 9
08-26-2013, 04:08 PM
I wonder if the Klingons (or at least some of them) wouldn't want to help though? Not out of altruism or anything, but more for the reasons "Hey, new vassal species!" and "Look what we can do that nobody else could. Suck it, Starfleet!"
Captain
# 10
08-26-2013, 04:45 PM
Quote:

Thats actually a very very good idea and with a fair bit of lore backing it!

And I also agree that there is no reason whatsoever to assume the Think Tank were being truthful, or that they told the whole truth.
For all we know the Phage could have mutated into an even more agressive strain and adapted to make the cure ineffective.