Survivor of Romulus
One thing I've noticed and disliked about KDF-side gameplay, is that the story always assumes you're a bloodthirsty Klingon who wants to kill everything that looks at him wrong. Not everyone in the KDF (not even every Klingon) acts like that.

For example, I have a female Orion (as I'm sure many of you do). In the Wasteland series, you are tasked with finding Haasan. During the course of the search, one of the bodyguards remarks "We have lots of women, but no green ones. Haasan is worried about being controlled." Well that's all well and good, but don't you think someone would react to a few Orion women walking into the dance club? Especially when you just stated that your boss doesn't allow them specifically?

There are, of course, other examples where you encounter various groups (Orions, nausicaans, etc), that a non-Klingon would likely be sympathetic or even friendly toward, but in every mission your character is forced to respond with bluster and outright threats of (or actual) violence for some perceived slight. For an actual klingon, it's probably in-character. For everyone else it's a little odd.

Basically, it'd be nice to have other dialogue options that don't make my sweet and gentle Orion female sound like a burly Klingon warrior.

I still want bare feet.... on ALL costumes.
Captain
# 2
08-27-2013, 10:41 AM
It's an old wish for both Factions. I'm guessing at this point Cryptic doesn't see the upside to committing the resources to rewrite every mission in the game to make it race-specific.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
08-27-2013, 11:12 AM
I could understand older missions, but I noticed that several of the new Romulan missions have choices (usually "let's talk first" or "just shoot them now"). Yet even the new Klingon missions still don't... seems odd to me.

I still want bare feet.... on ALL costumes.
Rihannsu
# 4
08-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
It's an old wish for both Factions. I'm guessing at this point Cryptic doesn't see the upside to committing the resources to rewrite every mission in the game to make it race-specific.
Of course not, that would mean actual WORK on something that would just benefit a faction ... same reason why Romulans after being duped into thinking they are a actual faction are sold off to the KDF and Fed and not even bothering to make content after the Vengeance Arc to recognize who they were supposed to be.

And no, when someone acts as if you are a Fed and in the exact same mission you have a NPC offering lip service it just stands out even more.

Oh. it actually does happen Fed side ... talk to the Drozana owner and he does react different if you are a Vulcan Female or even if you are a Ferengi so it is possible and does happen at least once .... fed side.
Romulans ...
You start your career off as a simple farmer... then you launch yourself into a galaxy filled with intrigue, power plays, and high stakes games of interstellar conflict, as your career careens upwards onto your final destination ... a level capped Dilithium and Fleet Mark Farmer!
Captain
# 5
08-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Oh. it actually does happen Fed side ... talk to the Drozana owner and he does react different if you are a Vulcan Female or even if you are a Ferengi so it is possible and does happen at least once .... fed side.
Wow! One whole interaction out of hundreds of interactions spread across dozens of missions. You got us Feds good there. We're living the high life now.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 6
08-27-2013, 12:15 PM
The game has a lot of dialog. And a lot of it does need a go-over. But I figure Cryptic can either drop resources on that minor thing, or keep pumping out new content and store items to keep the cash flowing.

If I had my way, the next season would be just tightening up the USS Star Trek Online.
# 7
08-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuatela View Post
One thing I've noticed and disliked about KDF-side gameplay, is that the story always assumes you're a bloodthirsty Klingon who wants to kill everything that looks at him wrong. Not everyone in the KDF (not even every Klingon) acts like that.

For example, I have a female Orion (as I'm sure many of you do). In the Wasteland series, you are tasked with finding Haasan. During the course of the search, one of the bodyguards remarks "We have lots of women, but no green ones. Haasan is worried about being controlled." Well that's all well and good, but don't you think someone would react to a few Orion women walking into the dance club? Especially when you just stated that your boss doesn't allow them specifically?

There are, of course, other examples where you encounter various groups (Orions, nausicaans, etc), that a non-Klingon would likely be sympathetic or even friendly toward, but in every mission your character is forced to respond with bluster and outright threats of (or actual) violence for some perceived slight. For an actual klingon, it's probably in-character. For everyone else it's a little odd.

Basically, it'd be nice to have other dialogue options that don't make my sweet and gentle Orion female sound like a burly Klingon warrior.
I don't want a nicer Klingon empire its not our way and it is the Klingon Empire if all you wishy washy types want to play nice join the federation

here is what General Martok has to say on the issue and I feel as he does.
Captain
# 8
08-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
its not my wish. race specific that is faction is another story, so please don't think it is what all want.

conflict makes us strong. strength makes us Klingon

Last edited by icsairguns; 08-28-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Career Officer
# 9
08-28-2013, 02:51 PM
I support having multiple dialog options for all factions, even if they end up at the same result. (Although having the option of letting the Feddies run away in Space Chase would be great.)

It doesn't need to be race-specific, as in "Klingons say this, Orions say that, Gorn say something else." In fact I'd prefer that it weren't, in most contexts. I just want multiple choice dialog so my downtrodden Reman doesn't sound like an arrogant Romulan, or my sly and crafty Gorn doesn't sound like a belligerent Klingon, or my Fed Klingon doesn't sound totally clueless dealing with KDF Klingons.

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics