Former PWE Community Team Lead
Massively's STO Columnist Terilynn Shull recently visited Cryptic Studios to talk to the team. In this week's Captain's Log entry, she continues recapping her interview with Lead Writer Christine Thompson.

Link to the column.
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Captain
# 2
09-05-2013, 05:20 PM
" To my surprise, she told me that the reason so much of the dialogue seemed to cover a Reman player so well was because she "finally" got the capability to create dialogue by species. Because of that, depending on the player's species and whether the dialogue is available, a customized dialogue box can be triggered. "

I found this part to be quite interesting, bodes well for character immersion for season 8, the redone Federation tutorial and beyond as it will be - with any luck - tailored to each species rather than Federation this and Klingon that
http://www.auroratrek.com/index.html
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
09-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by verlaine11 View Post
" To my surprise, she told me that the reason so much of the dialogue seemed to cover a Reman player so well was because she "finally" got the capability to create dialogue by species. Because of that, depending on the player's species and whether the dialogue is available, a customized dialogue box can be triggered. "

I found this part to be quite interesting, bodes well for character immersion for season 8, the redone Federation tutorial and beyond as it will be - with any luck - tailored to each species rather than Federation this and Klingon that
I doubt any stories can take into account the full spectrum of characters we can create in STO. For example: a half-Vulcan, half-Romulan that was raised on Earth by Humans.

...And yes, I totally made that my main character's background so if needed, I could be "in-character" and still act like a reasonable human (with pointy ears) instead of a cold logical Vulcan or a bipolar Romulan.

Unfortunately in that instance, because I had made that character as "Vulcan" instead of an "Alien" that just had Vulcanoid features, if there are any missions that are race-biased, I will be treated as a cold, logical Vulcan.

Raptr profile
Rihannsu
# 4
09-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by direphoenix View Post
I doubt any stories can take into account the full spectrum of characters we can create in STO. For example: a half-Vulcan, half-Romulan that was raised on Earth by Humans..
Vulcans talk like Vulcans, in fact try doing "Boldy they Rode" with a Vulcan, the responses you give to Eraun are unique.

Same applies on other occasions but here is the thing, we get Vulcans and get Ferengi but thats about it, Remans dont really have those choices outside a few occasions, like Vulcans and Ferengi and the biggest problem is KDF that still lacks Non-Klingon/Klingon.

The "full spectrum" is what the game registers, you are either a human or a vulcan ... half-breeds dont count because as far game knows, those dont actually exist.

Besides your choices are responses by species of generic responses ... at one point the "characters" players can create (in their own minds) will reach absurdity, I rather have some recognition of my gender and species that "same-size-fits-all" because someone at the roleplaying community is playing a half Gorn - Half Klingon - Half Pig that was raised by a Tribble ...
Romulans ...
You start your career off as a simple farmer... then you launch yourself into a galaxy filled with intrigue, power plays, and high stakes games of interstellar conflict, as your career careens upwards onto your final destination ... a level capped Dilithium and Fleet Mark Farmer!
Empire Veteran
# 5
09-05-2013, 06:25 PM
I am half human and half human as well.
Captain
# 6
09-05-2013, 08:08 PM
My character is half man, half bear and half pig.
I demand that the ingame dialogue is altered accordingly.
Captain
# 7
09-06-2013, 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoping88 View Post
My character is half man, half bear and half pig.
I demand that the ingame dialogue is altered accordingly.
so man bear pig , did you have a role in south park ?
Community Moderator
# 8
09-06-2013, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by verlaine11 View Post

I agree with that. But I also hope/urge/demand that they figure out how to extend that ability to Foundry authors...
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-06-2013, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by direphoenix View Post
I doubt any stories can take into account the full spectrum of characters we can create in STO. For example: a half-Vulcan, half-Romulan that was raised on Earth by Humans.

...And yes, I totally made that my main character's background so if needed, I could be "in-character" and still act like a reasonable human (with pointy ears) instead of a cold logical Vulcan or a bipolar Romulan.

Unfortunately in that instance, because I had made that character as "Vulcan" instead of an "Alien" that just had Vulcanoid features, if there are any missions that are race-biased, I will be treated as a cold, logical Vulcan.
Well you could be mixed or Vulcan your still Vulcan so O_o yes you be treated cold .. did you ever watch star trek not all races like each other
Empire Veteran
# 10
09-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goku5030 View Post
Well you could be mixed or Vulcan your still Vulcan so O_o yes you be treated cold .. did you ever watch star trek not all races like each other
Yes they are... they all speak english.