Survivor of Romulus
# 11
08-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
"DS: STO was designed at its core as a space combat game. It is what the game does best because it is where it all started. The diplomatic strategy game that we all want to play is either going to be a different Star Trek Game or a major future feature you?d see on Gateway. Trying to turn a space combat game into Mass Effect ? Star Trek is not within the scope with the current STO. We get away with some missions where you can choose diplomatic solutions, but it is just not the core emphasis of the way this game has evolved."

I guess then we are going to have to wait for a different Star Trek game, shame as I thought this was supposed to be Star Trek, but it seems it's just a combat sim.
I couldn't agree more. It's dissapointing to hear this and it seems that they are not interested in bringing a quality Star Trek experience to the players.

----------------------------------------------
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!
Captain
# 12
08-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
"DS: STO was designed at its core as a space combat game. It is what the game does best because it is where it all started. The diplomatic strategy game that we all want to play is either going to be a different Star Trek Game or a major future feature you?d see on Gateway. Trying to turn a space combat game into Mass Effect ? Star Trek is not within the scope with the current STO. We get away with some missions where you can choose diplomatic solutions, but it is just not the core emphasis of the way this game has evolved."

I guess then we are going to have to wait for a different Star Trek game, shame as I thought this was supposed to be Star Trek, but it seems it's just a combat sim.
This is truly sad I understand that combat is more likely to get more people to the game but completely ignoring the roots is sad.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91863067000&type=sigpic&dateline=13687  91708
http://www.srs-fleet.net/
Captain
# 13
08-29-2013, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
I couldn't agree more. It's dissapointing to hear this and it seems that they are not interested in bringing a quality Star Trek experience to the players.
What I actually find more amusing is that Stahl elected to use Mass Effect as an example of "diplomacy", or that because branching dialogue missions often end in similar way the entire concept should be discarded because nothing actually changes, and instead a one-size fits all mandate should be dumped on players.

But who am I kidding, storytelling (even with LoR in the equation) has never been one of STO's strong points.
Commander
# 14
08-29-2013, 12:40 PM
MNG: From the early days of STO, many Star Trek Fans have called for diplomatic missions or the possibility to complete a mission without a fight. Despite the fact that you have introduced missions that will only succeed when all answers were chosen correctly, no mission contains options where you could either succeed by diplomacy or by combat. Is this intentional, does the programming get in that way, or are there other reasons for this?

DS: STO was designed at its core as a space combat game. It is what the game does best because it is where it all started. The diplomatic strategy game that we all want to play is either going to be a different Star Trek Game or a major future feature you?d see on Gateway. Trying to turn a space combat game into Mass Effect ? Star Trek is not within the scope with the current STO. We get away with some missions where you can choose diplomatic solutions, but it is just not the core emphasis of the way this game has evolved.

I don't see how it's so hard to add diplomacy in game, there's plenty of episodes in Star Trek to take influence from, even if this is "at its core as a space combat game" (which seems to be the first mistake for a Star Trek game in my opinion) there is no way that rules out diplomatic options as when you hit Rank 4 on Diplomatic Commendation additional speech options open up on some missions anyway allowing you to get through that part 'easier'.

Yesterday I was going to write out a post on 'How I would have approached STO' but upon realising that there was very little I wouldn't change even just a little bit I decided not to, but diplomacy and exploration were going to be part of it, that to me is what Star Trek is all about, combat is the last resort not the first. Think of how many times Worf gets denied blasting something the minute it shows up, whereas in this game it's "something's appeared, throw all you have at it!", that I could maybe understand with the Borg but even then you'd raise shields and see if it was focused on you before taking action.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan