Captain
Change shield skins to rep skins. When you reach certain rep Tier, the skin becomes an unlock that is available to all ships. This would let us use the skins without the shields.

And besides, the shield bubbles should be simple bubbles, not hull changes.
Career Officer
# 2
05-09-2014, 07:33 PM
The idea is that the shield makes the ship look different. I like it, personally. Besides, there'd be a lot, and I mean a LOT, of pvpers complaining that they can't figure out why they can't get through someones shields because they think its something else. Best to just leave it alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Captain
# 3
05-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyudt View Post
The idea is that the shield makes the ship look different. I like it, personally. Besides, there'd be a lot, and I mean a LOT, of pvpers complaining that they can't figure out why they can't get through someones shields because they think its something else. Best to just leave it alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Yeah I think it's fair to leave this one as it is. Customization be damned.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 4
05-09-2014, 08:03 PM
oops double

/10char

Last edited by ursusmorologus; 05-09-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Captain
# 5
05-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyudt View Post
The idea is that the shield makes the ship look different.
No kidding. But the thing is, the shield bubble shouldnt change the hull formations, which is what it does (ie, MACO makes some areas look polished, some areas look like they have a lot of components, OMEGA makes changes the texture of phaser strips, etc.) That stuff is all changes to the hull, so it is a hull skin not a shield skin.

Hull skins should be unlocks. If you have enough rep to buy a shield skin now you will have enough rep to use the hull skin unlock. Changes nothing except it gives you more tailor options and the ship hull doesnt change everytime you switch shields.

Quote:
Besides, there'd be a lot, and I mean a LOT, of pvpers complaining that they can't figure out why they can't get through someones shields because they think its something else.
Most PVPers turn them off, but you can tell from set bonuses anyway. Misdirection not a factor.
Career Officer
# 6
05-09-2014, 08:15 PM
If making shields tailor unlocks is too much work, I bet it would be relatively easy to give every ship a cosmetic shield slot. Put a shield in there, and you receive none of its bonuses, only its visual.