Lt. Commander
I know your not supposed to post trade requests in the forums for out of game items... But is it against the rules to trade for out of games items with your real life friends? Just as long as it didn't involve anyone else in-game or perhaps you just don't tell anyone? If it's just a small friend thing and not a full on black market trading scheme is it still wrong? I know they do it all the time in South Korea... And since the items were probable purchased using ZEN I'm confused as to why they have a problem with it. So I suppose this is an open question. Can we? And if not than I'm simply curious as to why. I understand it would force people to pay real money for say Lockbox ships so it's simply to keep the games market free and seperate from the real world but any other reasons?
"When people ask stupid questions I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers."

Keltoi Class... fan design. You KNOW you want one In-game!

Career Officer
# 2
03-15-2014, 11:39 AM
i would not post about it on the forums and i see it like this if done with friends what cryptic dont know want hurt them
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Captain
# 3
03-15-2014, 11:40 AM
If you have some rare mount in WoW and want to trade it with a friend that has a JHAS in STO, then it is not Cryptic's business. All Cryptic will see is your friend giving you a JHAS. As long as you are not selling it on E-bay or some other website, then it is fine.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daan2006 View Post
i would not post about it on the forums and i see it like this if done with friends what cryptic dont know want hurt them
I thought so too but I would hate for them to find out and ban me, I really like this game and I have invested a lot of time and money into my account/ characters...

Super Moderator
# 5
03-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by samt296 View Post
I know your not supposed to post trade requests in the forums for out of game items... But is it against the rules to trade for out of games items with your real life friends? Just as long as it didn't involve anyone else in-game or perhaps you just don't tell anyone? If it's just a small friend thing and not a full on black market trading scheme is it still wrong? I know they do it all the time in South Korea... And since the items were probable purchased using ZEN I'm confused as to why they have a problem with it. So I suppose this is an open question. Can we? And if not than I'm simply curious as to why. I understand it would force people to pay real money for say Lockbox ships so it's simply to keep the games market free and seperate from the real world but any other reasons?
It is against TOS and EULA to trade real world items for in game items regardless of if it's on these forums or in the backyard of your sisters boyfriends nieces third cousin removed. There's reasons and I can pretty well speculate as to why but since I'm not the definitive answer I won't give those guesses out (and no it's not just for the money reason).

As for "what Cryptic doesn't know won't hurt them" Yeah...posting about it on the forums tends to lead to investigations into your trades
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums
My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a community support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
If you have some rare mount in WoW and want to trade it with a friend that has a JHAS in STO, then it is not Cryptic's business. All Cryptic will see is your friend giving you a JHAS. As long as you are not selling it on E-bay or some other website, then it is fine.
It would be something like this... I'm getting into the JHAS trading business and you can only get so rich in this game. After a point I think 5 BIL+ EC would be useless to me.

Career Officer
# 7
03-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
typically virtual trading for real money is a big no no in the mmo market. as stated in the quote, but expanded on, someone selling their account for a specific sum of money, you can either report it to PWE for example and let them shut down the trade by closing the account and posting a message to ebay saying whats going on, or you can try your luck and likely end up with legal problems to solve.
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
It is against TOS and EULA to trade real world items for in game items regardless of if it's on these forums or in the backyard of your sisters boyfriends nieces third cousin removed. There's reasons and I can pretty well speculate as to why but since I'm not the definitive answer I won't give those guesses out (and no it's not just for the money reason).

As for "what Cryptic doesn't know won't hurt them" Yeah...posting about it on the forums tends to lead to investigations into your trades
I swear on my grandparents graves I haven't done anything of the sort...

Career Officer
# 9
03-15-2014, 11:47 AM
tell that to the toons of ppl selling a mount on Ebay for 600$ any one played wow know the ways around this type of thing
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Career Officer
# 10
03-15-2014, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by samt296 View Post
I swear on my grandparents graves I haven't done anything of the sort...
thats where i'd figure this conversation would go. any further need to keep this open?
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Closed Thread