Captain
# 81
09-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Cloaks serve two purposes, one is to escape, the other is sneak attack.

Battlecloak for escape is basically self-balanced by the loss of shields. It has a lot of [unecessary] boost advantages too, like increased defense, but if you are targeted with torpedoes while cloaking you have a good chance of getting waxed.

But there's no penalty at all for surprise attack decloak alpha. Its all upside. You get your shields back at full strength, you get a faction damage boost for decloaking, you get a BOFF damage boost for decloaking... There is no penalty for it whatsoever. Stupid.
Career Officer
# 82
09-10-2013, 03:38 PM
never fear, everyone! Cryptic's sales will soon hit a plateau and they'll bring out the nerf hammer, or update the rest of the ships in the game! it's just sad we have to live with it for a long time before they take some sort of action. Then, they'll move on to the next OP money maker!

P.S. battle cloak is broken on the tier 5 fleet b'rel.. when you are getting shot at, it will keep you from cloaking. Your cloak ability will still be highlighted like it is activated, but you are visible and getting shot at.
my new saying is "cryptic made me do it" in lieu of the the "devil"
Member since January 2010. I AM NOT A PWE FAN!!!!
Career Officer
# 83
09-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havam View Post
Sorry to be so blunt: WAD.

Rommies have massive advantages outside of battle cloak.

OP by design.
The real irony is not what you're trying to do, its that right below what you wrote you have your "balance coming since..." sig pic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror01 View Post
....you are a bad starship captain and you should feel bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyonharmonic View Post
However, I think with regard to the Romulan Republic player characters/npcs, it all comes down to a finite point:

These are not the Romulans from the shows.
Captain
# 84
09-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rylanadionysis View Post
its the classic "stay still so i can shoot you" vs. "i dont want to die so i hide" argument

stealth classes in every mmo get knocked because its almost always the grief class

the biggest problem in sto from what i can tell is that they have really overpowered the battle cloak. it isnt even BOPs that are the problem, they never really were from what I can tell.

its the damn romulans with their mega high crit and flat out DPS potential also having this thats throwing it off.

Either reduce crits or give the most powerful rom spiker ships a regular cloak

realistically you have to go one way or the other, until that happens the DPSscort romulans will own open area pvp. i know mine does. and it isnt even rocking full fleet or rep gear yet. that kind of scares me, too.

cloak and dagger in PvP doesnt usually ruin it, but STOs version of cloak and dagger is going to be a terminal cancer to pvp, i can tell already. its already turning into rom vs rom almost exclusively in arenas/captures. I can only imagine how bad kerrat is
Ker'rat can get pretty frustrating when most of the Feddies are flying Romulan ships. Heck, it's not even an issue of the attack power. . .they can safely cloak while under fire. I don't think people really understand just how crucial that is. The combination of high defense plus higher hull (especially on the Dhelans, Mogais, Scimitars, etc) makes it much safer to cloak while potentially being fired on. If I do that in my KDF BoP, odds are I'll get sliced apart. Romulans are far more capable of doing stuff like that, which is part of the point of having a battlecloak. I don't have room for a big hull-resist buff like Polarize Hull, Aux2SIF, or w/e, and I'm carrying a Fleet Neutronium console that also boosts turnrate.

I've hit Romulans entering cloak with a BO3 + HY3 quantums salvo from my Fleet Norgh while they were cloaking, and they haven't blown up. That ain't right. The only time it might work is if I hit a T'Varo doing that. It removes most of the vulnerability of the battlecloak, vulnerabilities the KDF BoP pilots have long had to deal with.

Don't even get me started on the Scimitar. . .and people have the nerve to complain the Scimitar is 'meh'.
tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
Ensign
# 85
09-11-2013, 06:02 AM
I see it, though? *nods in response to his own question

NCERT Maths Solutions
Career Officer
# 86
09-11-2013, 10:30 AM
My only complaint with the battle cloak is that even with spec into Sensors I chase someone, they cloak and even though I'm less than 1km away I still can't see them.

The ranges should be changed. I'm literally bumping their ship but cannot fire on them.
Captain
# 87
09-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timezarg View Post
Ker'rat can get pretty frustrating when most of the Feddies are flying Romulan ships. Heck, it's not even an issue of the attack power. . .they can safely cloak while under fire. I don't think people really understand just how crucial that is. The combination of high defense plus higher hull (especially on the Dhelans, Mogais, Scimitars, etc) makes it much safer to cloak while potentially being fired on. If I do that in my KDF BoP, odds are I'll get sliced apart. Romulans are far more capable of doing stuff like that, which is part of the point of having a battlecloak. I don't have room for a big hull-resist buff like Polarize Hull, Aux2SIF, or w/e, and I'm carrying a Fleet Neutronium console that also boosts turnrate.

I've hit Romulans entering cloak with a BO3 + HY3 quantums salvo from my Fleet Norgh while they were cloaking, and they haven't blown up. That ain't right. The only time it might work is if I hit a T'Varo doing that. It removes most of the vulnerability of the battlecloak, vulnerabilities the KDF BoP pilots have long had to deal with.

Don't even get me started on the Scimitar. . .and people have the nerve to complain the Scimitar is 'meh'.

Honestly, the battle cloak has been a source of griefing for a long time. I cant tell you how many times I've seen a group of KDF BoP's in Kerrat go spawn camping just cloak/ spawncamp/ decloak/ alpha/ kill/ recloak/ spawncamp / rinse / lather / repeat.

The most wasteful greifing I see is BoP's (forgot the class name) that can fire torps while cloak, only ever do that and not actually engage with thier other weapons. They only want to force the targets to stay in red alert because they sure as heck aren't doing damage.

Fed's cloaker and standard cloaking KDF ship sometimes do the same with their ships, but its nowhere nearly as effective as battle cloaking. Now both sides are doing it at higher levels because of the Romulan ships.

If you ask me, up some of the BoP's stats and make all cloaks have a really long cool-down, both down and up. Make a person actually commit to an attack.
Captain
# 88
09-12-2013, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer1 View Post
Honestly, the battle cloak has been a source of griefing for a long time. I cant tell you how many times I've seen a group of KDF BoP's in Kerrat go spawn camping just cloak/ spawncamp/ decloak/ alpha/ kill/ recloak/ spawncamp / rinse / lather / repeat.

The most wasteful greifing I see is BoP's (forgot the class name) that can fire torps while cloak, only ever do that and not actually engage with thier other weapons. They only want to force the targets to stay in red alert because they sure as heck aren't doing damage.

Fed's cloaker and standard cloaking KDF ship sometimes do the same with their ships, but its nowhere nearly as effective as battle cloaking. Now both sides are doing it at higher levels because of the Romulan ships.

If you ask me, up some of the BoP's stats and make all cloaks have a really long cool-down, both down and up. Make a person actually commit to an attack.

Fleet B'Rel, has the enhanced battle cloak.

Everything is OP, plz nerf
Fleet Admiral Rylana - U.S.S. DNT Omega X
=== Vice Squad/House of Tlhap-Jen ===
Captain
# 89
09-12-2013, 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timezarg View Post

BOPs are balanced fine as far as I am concerned. They lack tactical consoles (the enhanced battle cloak one only has 3, for example), have a small hull, and have six weapon slots.

But the rom ships have every good piece of the puzzle... its possible to get a ship with 5 tactical consoles, 7 weapons, 45+k hull, battle cloak, a boff layout that is not squishy by any means (chaining TSS3, TSS2, HE1, RSP, and EPTS1, among other things, hell you could go with 2 copies of HE, TSS, and Aux to SIF if you want as well), singularity powers like quantum absorption (with the right singularity this also grants 20% damage resists on top of the heal and extra bonus hull), a turn rate fairly equivalent to a fleet defiant, and 20-25% crit rate depending on how much EC you wanna invest in high priced BOFFs.

Try a fleet dhelan (the above example is based on both of mine), youll see what I mean.

What... the... hell?

Everything is OP, plz nerf
Fleet Admiral Rylana - U.S.S. DNT Omega X
=== Vice Squad/House of Tlhap-Jen ===

Last edited by rylanadionysis; 09-12-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 90
09-12-2013, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer1 View Post
The B'rel (KDF) Retrofit, Fleet B'rel, T'varo (Rom) Retrofit and Fleet T'varo all have Enhanced Battle Cloak and these ships can use an all Torpedo builds. Neither Torpedoes, Mines and many Sci and Engineering powers do not break this ship out of cloak.

So these ships don't actually have other weapons.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.