Career Officer
I do

I'm not 100% on board with what is coming with the Voth release. I'm all for the Voth, but I'm not sure the direction they have taken with the Voth is thematic with Star Trek. From their creation of the costuming, the dino's, and other things.

I also like the idea of the Dyson's sphere, but I'm worried they can't keep it thematic with Star Trek. I wish they would have used the one the Enterprise-D found, that one, IMO, would have felt more immerse. It was an already known sphere from the show, and having it in this game would have given us the chance to explore it in a way we didn't get to see on the show, it'd show us what was down on that surface.

Season 8 is making me think that Cryptic, or PWE, wants to downgrade Star Trek Online into a "General SCIFI" type of MMO, loosely based on Star Trek. I'm getting that worrying feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I look at Season 8 so far and think "Mass Effect" or "Halo", not Star Trek. And that's not a good thing. Imagine how people on the outside, who have never played the game before, are looking at it.

Plus, there are so many unfinished things in STO, and parts of the game that need a big overhaul first, before introducing a completely new thing like this into the game that was only seen in one episode of Voyager, and a sphere that is completely made up and never seen in the show.

I would like the Star Trek to come back to Star Trek Online please.

Thanks,
A Loyal Lifetime Fan since Open Beta
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us

Last edited by thedoctorbluebox; 10-17-2013 at 02:28 AM.
Commander
# 2
10-17-2013, 02:33 AM
The Star in the Jenolan Sphere was highly unstable and due to go boom, it was the premise of the episode that even the Enterprise needed to get the hell out of that Sphere to not get roasted and the door to it was most likely damaged by the Enterprises Escape... so... nope not a good choice...

It helps actually re-watching the episodes you want to talk about...
Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
Rihannsu
# 3
10-17-2013, 03:06 AM
I think its star trek. I applaud them for for branching out and showing us things we have not seen before. You know that boldly going where no one has gone before thing?

Seriously, people used to complain that DS9 was not star trek because it was set on a space station, or voyager was not trek because there was no federation and the crew were all at odds with each other. people just get attached to what they know and change scares them. they got over it.

what differences does it make that it was not set inside the one from TNG? How does it actually make anything more trek? its still a dyson sphere. we saw next to nothing of that sphere's interior. its not like we know the exact appearance as we never got that close to see so how does it affect your immersion that you are in one sphere you know nothing about instead of the other sphere you know nothing about? if we saw it in great detail, and the new sphere looked totally different then i would argue that's not what people want, but getting something new should never be considered a bad thing.

star trek fans should be the most open fans to change. seeing new things, even if it seems weird and outrageous yet so many seem to be stuck in only wanting what they know. it seems totally counter to the whole point of trek in the first place.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 4
10-17-2013, 03:10 AM
When would that have been? When the Federation consisted of legions of liberated mirror universe Borg? When 99% of conflicts were solved by blowing up ships with thousands of crew? When the KDF allowed Orion girls in skimpy clothes in officer positions? When ESD was the central hub for Jem'hadar, Tholian, Breen, Romulan, borgified Romulan, Ferengi and Cardassian ships? When did the game fulfill your expectation of what Star Trek is, and why does it stop now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saekiith View Post
The Star in the Jenolan Sphere was highly unstable and due to go boom, it was the premise of the episode that even the Enterprise needed to get the hell out of that Sphere to not get roasted and the door to it was most likely damaged by the Enterprises Escape... so... nope not a good choice...

It helps actually re-watching the episodes you want to talk about...
Quoted for truth.
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
Career Officer
# 5
10-17-2013, 03:15 AM
In the Admirals office on ESD, you'll see one of Kirks original hair pieces in a Transparent Aluminum case.

If that isn't Trek enough, then I dunno.
Join Date : September 2010. Boldly going forward because Cryptic forgot reverse.
I am currently unsupervised, anyone who knows me will tell you that this will most likely lead to trouble. =3
Non stop crashing and epic lagging are helpful in telling me it's time for bed or to go outside and get a life.
Career Officer
# 6
10-17-2013, 03:18 AM
I think they are trying to dumb down this game to a general "SCIFI MMO", rather than pure Star Trek, IMO. It just seems that way, that's the vibe I get lately.
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Rihannsu
# 7
10-17-2013, 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
I think they are trying to dumb down this game to a general "SCIFI MMO", rather than pure Star Trek, IMO. It just seems that way, that's the vibe I get lately.
whether people like the format or not, it IS an MMO and has to follow certain MMO rules. If the game was single player it would be vastly different. in the same way the elite force has to follow FPS rules and and armada has to follow RTS rules.

but with 47 years of history star trek has just about covered everything in the world of sci-fi. What is dumbed down, or generic sci-fi because star trek has covered so much ground over the years that everything introduced was general sc-fi at one point or another. then people watched the episodes a hundred times and it becomes trek to them.

If you gave gene the budget back in the 60's and a decent script he would have worked dinosaurs into an episode at the first chance he got. he worked everything else regardless of how silly it first seemed. then people would be screaming for dinosaurs because it was seen in on screen.

This is a franchise that has an omnipotent being that can do anything. its only not trek, until it is.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-17-2013, 03:31 AM
The premise of Star Trek has always been the vast versatility inherent in the great unknown that is outer space. If you look at episodes from any of the shows from TOS to Voyager, there's a great diversity of species, technology, etc - and you're always left with the notion that what the individual crews come across is only scratching the surface of galactic diversity.

The upcoming introduction of the Voth might not have that "canon" feel to you, but honestly the amount of information we garner about the Voth leaves one hell of a lot open to artistic interpretation. As it stands, from what I've seen so far it looks like we're getting a nice breakaway from what we've been confronted with to date - and that's really the essence of Star Trek to me. The Dyson Sphere is the same deal; it's theoretical and whilst there's a general idea of what it might be like - and we all have our own ideas on the matter - ultimately it's up to the development team to bring their concept of it to life for us.

Last edited by talaj; 10-17-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Captain
# 9
10-17-2013, 03:31 AM
This game never stop being Star Trek just because you do not agree with its direction.
Career Officer
# 10
10-17-2013, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
It would be nice for everyone involved (even the devs) if you could explain why you get that vibe. Everything that has been released in the last months is Star Trek. Romulans, Klingon content with Alexander, the Tal Shiar ships (unfortunately Abrams crap is Star Trek too), the Silent Enemy from Enterprise. Now they'll add Voth from Voyager, a Dyson Sphere (yeah, sorry TNG wrecked the one it had). Okay, they expand the Voth with armored sci-fi dinosaurs, and I'm one of the first to make fun of Star T-Rex Online, but that's a bit of good-natured fun. Hey, my tacs will get to drop-kick a frickin' T-Rex. Kirk eat your heart out with you puny Gorn captain.
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.