Lieutenant
I reached level 50 after hearing about the rep items, I thought it was all awesome. Incredible gear and new unique items in it. When I got to it, After fighting in the instances I was disappointed.

How to rep: Grind, Wait 20 hours, Repeat. Over. And over. And over.

My main complaint is the whole waiting 20 hours thing, This restricts what you are capable of doing in a day and is only put there as a time sink. A horrible one.

Now, Not only do you have to wait 20 hours.. But you have to wait 20 hours. A lot. Even when you put a few days in it you can only unlock very beginner items, Which you probably won't be using.

TL;DR: Reputation system is boring and not fun. Fix it.
Lieutenant
# 2
09-07-2013, 12:34 AM
Its set up that way so you don't breeze thru it in a day...or two.
Its meant as a LONG term project, much like the Fleet Starbase projects.

Too many people "want it now" then complain they have nothing to work afterwards, while the DEV team work on expansions and new content.

This in its own way helps alleviate that. Though I do admit that it does sometimes get repetitive after a bit, especially after the second toon.

Take a break from it, do some other stuff, then go back to it. Its not really a make or break you thing. But the rewards do help.
Commander
# 3
09-07-2013, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfexile1 View Post
I reached level 50 after hearing about the rep items, I thought it was all awesome. Incredible gear and new unique items in it. When I got to it, After fighting in the instances I was disappointed.

How to rep: Grind, Wait 20 hours, Repeat. Over. And over. And over.

My main complaint is the whole waiting 20 hours thing, This restricts what you are capable of doing in a day and is only put there as a time sink. A horrible one.

Now, Not only do you have to wait 20 hours.. But you have to wait 20 hours. A lot. Even when you put a few days in it you can only unlock very beginner items, Which you probably won't be using.

TL;DR: Reputation system is boring and not fun. Fix it.
The real problem with "Reputation" (I hate that word for it is grind and nothing less.) is not so much the time it takes but what you actually get in the end. It is typical video game "You finally get all the good stuff to beat the end boss" logic that happens at the end of almost every game ever made. Except it's worse because there is no "end boss."

So what do you really get? You get let's say a Tier 5 MK XII M.A.C.O. set [oooo!] that is specifically designed for what? Making it easier to do the grind you already finished. -_- Now you have the best Borg killing gear and no reason to kill Borg. See how ridiculous it really is now? The only exception is you want it for PvP, which OFC, it is not specifically made for.

So I'll tell you what I tell everyone. Don't worry about it. Do it when you feel like it and get there 'eventually'. Forget the timers, forget the shiny things you will get at the end because you can get nearly as good stuff right off the exchange or from your fleet base. (Sometimes better) It's a big carrot dangling in front of your face by devs to keep you busy.

Secondly, nothing says you can't grind all your marks in a shorter time. Gather 3000 of each kind, you will need them eventually. The real burden is actually the never ending trips to gather Hypos and Power Cells since they stack to 20 per slot and you end up needing 50 or more every day not to mention commodities, etc.

And once again, any Rep gear, outside of PvP, is fluff and overkill.

If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting. ~thlaylierah
So realistically, you only need to have the exact number of doffs that you need. ~leadme2kirk
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-07-2013, 06:44 AM
I kinda hate the drind, but once you figure it out, it's easy to manage time-wise.

What does piss me off though is the "multiple taxation" of it...

...Farm marks...
...spend marks on projects to build rep
...farm more marks...
...spend marks to claim your rep
...farm marks...
...spend marks to unlock "stores" so you can buy items that you have farmed the rep for already
...farm thousands more marks...
...pay even more marks + dil to buy the things you've unlocked....

Cut us a little slack. How about just let us buy the items once we reach the appropriate rep, not require additional unlocks and even more marks? It gets really old grinding through the same couple of missions over and over and over and over again.... Especially when fighting mission cooldowns, bugs, and AFK leeches that we can't, and you won't, do anything about....

Honestly this is a rather poor substitute for a real "endgame." As great as so many things are in this game, when the "endgame" is just a rep grindfest, it almost seems not worth it sometimes...

(Yeah, whine whine - I still do the reps - just think it could be done a lot better than it is...)

Last edited by hoovergkmmc; 09-07-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Commander
# 5
09-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegashinzon View Post
It's a big carrot dangling in front of your face by devs to keep you busy.
Nail on the head. This one phrase says it all. They keep us busy grinding and it doesn't require them to introduce new content.
We Are The Borg. Lower Your Shields And Surrender Your Ships. Your Technological And Biological Distinctiveness Will Be Added To Our Own. You Will Adapt Yourself To Service The Collective. Our Survival Is Your Survival. You Will Be Assimilated. Resistance Is Futile.

Cut off one head; two more shall take its place. HEIL HYDRA!
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
09-09-2013, 11:01 AM
I agree with everything mentioned here. You have my support for any mutiny or uprising.

You guys need to be careful though. When I questioned the current rep system I got flamed pretty badly.

This may be a stupid idea (with me it normally is) but why does the rep need to be end game? Why can't they let us do it throughout.

IE

Levels 0-10 - T1
Levels 10-20 - T2
Levels 20-30 - T3
Levels 40-50 -T4

THEN T5 is the grind however you won't mind cause its only one tier worth.

Make all equipment level specific IE MKI & MKII for beginners and then gradually work it up much like normal items do. So yes, eventually when you reach T5 you have todo a little more grinding to get the MKXII stuff but it wouldn't p*** you off as much

Am I making any sense?

The opinions expressed within my posts may not reflect those of yourself, or others. However in a world where free speech is still valued (mostly) I am entitled to them. Respect & mutual understanding are the first steps towards the human race solving its problems!

Last edited by recon2130; 09-09-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Captain
# 7
09-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Well, once you get all the stuff you want, it's a nice dil farm.
50 marks = 500 dil
STF = 960 dil I think
5 Borg neural processors = 1000dil (and you sometimes get 5 from 1 STF run)
Empire Veteran
# 8
09-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Basically my view point on the reputation system having to do it on every toon is it needs to be based on either doing it on account once or either per faction once. Part of the problem beyond it being per character is there has been end game added that was not here in the past when it was pay to play.

The larger issue at hand is that the main scope of end game was starbases in which a lot of fleets are near or accomplished the achievement of hitting tier 5. As many have noticed due to a combination of how quickly most fleets are ramping up to get the new holdings finished and the factor of people either selling or opening up at little to no cost to get items their fleet can't get has opened up the issue with the dilithium sinks with the art they sell by purchasing for a fleet for 200k dilithium. Its pretty noticeable these art sinks are coming way more frequently than they have in the past due to the above stated reasons.

Those of us as well usually have to make a choice on doing reputations or fleet mark activities so what that does is it pushes people like myself to choose between doing them because of large volume of characters some days its almost impossible to do both.

One other thing I would like to suggest to the devs as well because I see a possible scenario that defeats their design purposes. When there are so many mission choices to pick between and some of them due to being lower rewards and players wanting to get the most out of their time they have to play. I would suggest in hours the bonus event is not going on that each hour along with other events that are normally running when the bonus is not. That something be added as an event that only exists outside the bonus event that gives special bonuses to the least played mission that day. Some good examples of them are the 2 newest the defending of the romulan station and the atmosphere assault. Even though these two missions are newest out they give the lowest amount of marks and other than a lot of players not understanding how to play them the rewards are quite low unless if you have a whole team of pro players.

In all though I hope they can find a way that best suits them as a company but can make this more of a game for fun than a job with how it works since what has happened since Season 7 is that by the time most players with lots of characters get to where they can start working on getting the gear another rep comes out so theres no staying ahead of the grind to the point most players burn out and causes people to avoid playing sto if its nothing more than a job lol.
Career Officer
# 9
09-12-2013, 11:40 AM
In many ways the new system is better than the old one. But I agree that it takes alot more effort to get to even moderate gains than it did before. As I often had to work to get a few borg processors for just one piece of gear.

Now you have to work on the marks till you can launch the rep, so you get a marginal boost. rinse repeat. My suggestion would be to either lower the amount of marks required, or to cut the time for the reputation window in half. With needing less marks you can be waiting for the timers to end so you can setup another one sooner. With the timers cut you could launch an upgrade in the morning, go to work and come home with the project finished.
Just a thought.

Oh and I am still getting processors dropped to me. . . What are they for?