Career Officer
Dev Team, could you please look at the programming for the Romulan Scimitar in the Fleet Red Alerts?

Most of the time people are unable to defeat the Scimitar in time due to it following the Donatra Programming by firing the Thalaron Pulse and hiding over and over. And those groups with non-high-end DPS Builds, are not able to defeat her in time.

And it's even harder with these Fleet Alert leavers that leave you players short.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!

New Crafting = It's not Crafting, is an overblown Reputation System.
Career Officer
# 2
09-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Oh, how nice. Another I-cannot-faceroll-a-mission-so-please-nerf-it-thread...
Captain
# 3
09-06-2013, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nithanath View Post
Oh, how nice. Another I-cannot-faceroll-a-mission-so-please-nerf-it-thread...
While I'm not familiar with that particular mission, any mission where you're on a timer needs to be 1) designed with the assumption that your teammates are going to be Larry, Daryl, and Daryl and still be doable, and 2) not be up against an AI thats just going to run and hide and eat the timer down. If a player makes one bad choice after another then yeah they should fail, but a player should never be screwed by something they can't reasonably do anything about, no matter what the game is.
Rihannsu
# 4
09-06-2013, 03:15 AM
First few times i tried this it was very difficult to beat the scimitar, but now if everyone targets it first and its actually very doable. you might fail the mission but thats only about 5 or so fm at the end.

with a competent team you can still complete it very easily. with a bad team you should be able to at least kill the scimitar for the accolade at the expense of a few marks.

if they want to change the cloak then fine, but if not im ok with how it is after a bit of practice.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 5
09-06-2013, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginamala78 View Post
While I'm not familiar with that particular mission, any mission where you're on a timer needs to be 1) designed with the assumption that your teammates are going to be Larry, Daryl, and Daryl and still be doable, and 2) not be up against an AI thats just going to run and hide and eat the timer down. If a player makes one bad choice after another then yeah they should fail, but a player should never be screwed by something they can't reasonably do anything about, no matter what the game is.
Indeed. The Vault shuttle mission can be challenging or pathetically easy, depending on what the team is and how it does it. This one, however, ranges from impossible to hard. Both can be failed, but the thing is only one can be reliably completed by a decent team. Noting that most PUGs aren't decent teams, and that getting together a premade fleet action (or any form of Vault event, these days) is pretty hard unless you have a dedicated PvE fleet or something.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Captain
# 6
09-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Nothing against a challenge, but this is obviously not intended.
The enemies in these missions are selected randomly, and only the Romulans got the Scimi with Donatra's cloaking behaviour.
That makes them stand out as being by far harder to defeat then the other random enemies.

That just can't be intended.
Career Officer
# 7
09-13-2013, 05:54 PM
I've beaten it once or twice, but at the time, my team had ABSURD amounts of DPS (to the point where we'd reached the Siege Group in less than two minutes). The Scimitar battles were all previously designed to be long and protracted. The time limit the Fleet missions are on is not a long and protracted battle. It's like trying to pour a dump truck load from a REAL dump truck... into a toy one. It's not a "hey, I can't face-roll this so nerf it", as someone said before, it's "hey, your copy-pasted AI breaks this variant of the mission ENTIRELY."

This does need to be fixed. I MIST crush the IRW Hook Saber! Too many times it has eluded death at my hands...
CHARACTER GRID (@Lord-Ice):
___ |___ _ Fed ____| ____ _KDF __ ____| Rom
Tac_|_Thomas Hale_| __ __Illusion _____| Silence (K)
Eng | ___Antilles _ _| _ Mirror Rygobeth__| N'Vek (F)
Sci _| __ Rygobeth _| _Lukor Son of Q'Tar | Devala (F)
Career Officer
# 8
09-15-2013, 11:49 PM
Totally agree.

It's ridiculously frustrating - played it earlier, the team I was with comprised of three eng, one sci (me) and a tac. We got the Scimitar down to 10% with about 30 seconds left... and the stupid thing cloaked. By the time it decloaked there simply wasn't any time left to do anything about it.

The Tal Shiar are probably the only enemy I really hate seeing appear in Fleet Alert, because dealing with that damned scimitar is a headache.

And as the OP said, it's not made any easier by a daft game mechanic that encourages players to bail when the Dreadnought appears either.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
09-16-2013, 02:37 AM
And can somthing be done about the losing message that almost taunts us at the end?

We have them cornered, starbase still at 100%, all support ships are destroyed, only the Scimitar left which only lives because if it's cloak and the message pops up:

"they are overrunning us, we can't save the Station, abandon ship, DOOOOOOOOOOM!"
Career Officer
# 10
09-16-2013, 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord79 View Post
And can somthing be done about the losing message that almost taunts us at the end?

We have them cornered, starbase still at 100%, all support ships are destroyed, only the Scimitar left which only lives because if it's cloak and the message pops up:

"they are overrunning us, we can't save the Station, abandon ship, DOOOOOOOOOOM!"
lol - yeah, that message is REALLY annoying; even more so during those rare moments when the Dreadnought was killed and all that was left was a frigate that managed to avoid being fired at whilst everyone's attention was focused on the Dreadnought.

That's like "RETREAT, RETREAT; there are five of us, an operational Starbase, and all that is left of the enemy fleet is one small, badly damaged, Frigate - RUN! WE CAN'T POSSIBLY WIN!!"

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY