Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Romulan Gameplay
Login

Career Officer
# 31
09-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodachikuno View Post
Mostly older stuff for table top games(tactical battles and rpg games), tho iirc the Starfleet Command video game(starfleet battles for the digital age lol) also used that. A lot of it expanded on the Gorn race and I was always interested in those before the series 'Enterprise' finally did some expanding on them. Gorn vs Romulans as long time rival empires was really interesting to me. Gorn learned quite a bit from their Romulan adversaries, including plasma weapon technology and eventually warp drives.
If you're using SFC (which is SFB for the PC) as well as their RPG material, you're incedibly mistaken when you assume it states Romulans don't have FTL drive.
The Romulans in SFC/SFB don't have TACTICAL warpdrive, meaning they can't FIGHT at warp speed (like we saw the Enterprise do in "The Ultimate Computer" for example).
They can however travel between the stars at warp speed in what is called "non-tactical warp".

This is from the "Prime Directive RPG", Romulan sourcebook, pages 12 and 13 about the Romulan exodus from Vulcan:

"Vulcan had primitive faster-than-light travel for at least a century before this period, although the political conflicts at home prevented any colonization or expansion program.
[...]
Beginning in -Y2330, over a period of 10 years, some 26,000 exiles left Vulcan aboard primitive FTL ships designed for about 40 years of travel. Each ship carried around 800 individuals. Each vessel was also outfitted with a "genetic bank" containing thousands of frozen Vulcan embryos, for use once the final destination was reached. This would increase the chance that a viable colony could be stablished.
Although travel was FTL, it was considerably slower than then warp drives used in the main period of GPD, or even the non-tactical warp of previous eras. Between 30 and 35 ships were involved, but the exact number is unclear from surviving records. The undertaking took great effort, involving a large financial commitment and resource expenditure. But the Vulcans felt that it was a bargain compared to the alternative. Exiling those that violently rejected the new order, however expensive, was better than a catastrophic civil war."

So does this indicate in any way that the Romulans left in ships without warpdrive? If so I'd like to know where.

EDIT/ADDENDUM:

http://www.starfleetgames.com/docume...eed_in_SFU.pdf

from the creaturs of the game itself: NT Warp equals warp 5.5
NT Warp is Non-Tactical Warp, the earliest form of warp
drive, e.g., used by Romulan ?sublight? ships.

Last edited by misterde3; 09-13-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Career Officer
# 32
09-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Going to go out and say something unromulan here.

I dislike the Dhelan/Dhael.

I have used it for five characters now and was discouraged each time. The Mogai/Valdore was a welcome relief to it.

So recently I tried taking a federation cruiser out instead of the romulan made ship with a battle cloak. . . It worked beautifully. Less damage taken. By arming it as I would a warbird it did as good or better than I had done previously.

I would seriously like a Romulan D7 C-store ship for tier 2.

Now my wild idea is make it factionless. KDF, Federation, and Romulans could buy it. Then give it a console based cloak. Put in a ship with no cloak you get a basic cloak. A ship with basic cloak is now a battle cloak, and any ship with a battle cloak is now harder to detect.

My reasoning is from the Enterprise Incident where they stole Nomad. I mean the romulan cloaking device and plugged it into the Enterprise. It is canon that you can put a cloak from one ship into another. . .
Commander
# 33
09-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
If you're using SFC (which is SFB for the PC) as well as their RPG material, you're incedibly mistaken when you assume it states Romulans don't have
I mentioned SFC as an 'iirc' sideline because I couldnt remember clearly if it did or did not. Also never used the SFB system.

Aside from that really interesting info you dug up and could easily explain away some crossed opinions on the subject I think

edit:
now I wanna by that prime directive rpg for d20 or d20modern... damn you! I dont have spare cash atm

Last edited by kodachikuno; 09-14-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Career Officer
# 34
09-15-2013, 01:27 AM
Quote:
I mentioned SFC as an 'iirc' sideline because I couldnt remember clearly if it did or did not. Also never used the SFB system.
Ah, my mistaken then. Sorry

Quote:
Aside from that really interesting info you dug up and could easily explain away some crossed opinions on the subject I think

edit:
now I wanna by that prime directive rpg for d20 or d20modern... damn you! I dont have spare cash atm
Glad I could get you interested.
Personally, I have the GURPS version which breaks some aspects down to tech levels which make stuff easy to understand. As I read it, it's a modified version of the TL scale GURPS uses. So I can't say in what way the d20 books differ but the important cultural and historical info should be identical.

But a fair word of warning: the universe this is set in (the "Star Fleet Universe") is really (and I mean reeeeally) different from the Star Trek we know today.

It's entirely based on TOS, TAS and the Star Fleet Technical Manual by Franz Joseph.
So from the 1st motion picture onwards, the two universes have have ignored each other completely.
"Prime Directive", "Star Fleet Battles" etc. are not even considered to be "Star Trek" products by their own creators and are not allowed to use that name anywhere.
So it's inevitable that you'll run into stuff that is just different and donwright strange when you look at it for the first time.
You'll recognize many things when you played SFC, but Interplay changed the look of many ships, even though some of the ships in the Star Fleet Universe have their own charm.
This is for example what a Klingon C8 Dreadnought looks like outside SFC:
http://www.federationcommander.com/N...0C8%20Mark.jpg
While the Gorn ships....I think of them as flying pancakes of doom.

http://www.starfleetgames.com/images..._-_above_F.jpg

But when you have the time (and the money) and keep this warning in mind, I think you'll find the books as interesting as I did.
Commander
# 35
09-15-2013, 07:50 AM
Quote:
While the Gorn ships....I think of them as flying pancakes of doom.

http://www.starfleetgames.com/images..._-_above_F.jpg

But when you have the time (and the money) and keep this warning in mind, I think you'll find the books as interesting as I did.
what the flippin **** is that? lol

Ill stick with these thx ;D
http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/fasa-gsrm.php

btw what was the original topic of this thread again?? lol whoops
Career Officer
# 36
09-16-2013, 04:32 AM
Quote:
what the flippin **** is that? lol

Ill stick with these thx ;D
http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/fasa-gsrm.php

btw what was the original topic of this thread again?? lol whoops
That's their Heavy Cruiser (or rather Battlecruiser as it's called). The forward section contains the sensor/deflector systems, the bridge and the forward Type-1 Phasers.
The Mid-section has the warp engines and the shuttlebays (sideways, connected and with 3 landing pads on the wings) while the wings contain the impulse engines, the defensive phasers (type-3) and the plasma launchers.
The Light Cruiser looks the same just without the rear bubble, that holds additional Phasers and some reactor power. That's the real reason the Light Cruiser and Battlecruiser in SFC are the way they are: this physical layout of the SFB model sheds some light on it.
The two ships are basically built from the exact same parts, which makes construction and logisitcs easier...and allows them to just upgrade a light cruiser by connecting a rear bubble to it (though it's a bit more complex than just snapping it on)
And yes, it looks pretty ridicilous.
Here are some nice renders:

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...er-d4vrnj7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...llery/gca6.jpg

TBH, while they're ridicilous I still prefer them over the flying shoeboxes FASA created.

Last edited by misterde3; 09-16-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Rihannsu
# 37
09-17-2013, 01:33 AM
personally, I think it would be cool to fly the vulcan science ship, but thats not likely..

We Will Be Free!
Commander
# 38
09-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Quote:
TBH, while they're ridicilous I still prefer them over the flying shoeboxes FASA created.
Im on the flip side of that.. I find those things too disgusting and stupid and kinda like the FASA designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wufangchu View Post
personally, I think it would be cool to fly the vulcan science ship, but thats not likely..
You mean the D'kyr in the z-store? yeah that would be fun to have open to roms
Captain
# 39
09-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeruaeno View Post
I am not sure if this is the right forum but, when it clearly states in the faction choising that you can use 'any' ship of that faction I expect to be able to use the zenships I unlocked for that faction. So why are the vice admeral ships restricted?
Can any one explain this?
I love playing the romulans/remons, but being restricted to low ranking ships is a bit dumb[and the only ships one can access are 'standerd issue' ships and one has to pay alot of dili for em >.>]
Actually, it doesn't state that. It states that you can use any faction-allied ships, up to Tier 4/Rear Admiral. T5 & Fleet ships are off limits, and that was specifically stated, so either you failed to read the whole thing, or you failed to understand the whole thing. But either way, the info is presented there, and was clearly stated.
On another note, as others already stated, if ALL faction-allied ships were available to the Rihan faction character, why would anyone choose to play as a Fed or KDF character, other than just for the RP factor? Most wouldn't, as you'd have every advantage of that particular faction on ships, equipment, doffs, and boffs, with the advantages of being RR. This way, at least, there's still something unique, equipment wise, for the KDF and Fed factions. (Personally, I'd like to see the restriction dropped a Tier, to have it T3 or lower ships only, T4 & T5 ships are locked out from the RR character.)

butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
Temperance Brennan, "A building"
Career Officer
# 40
09-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Actually, it does seem influence the terminology to a large degree.
The matter-antimatter collider used on Federation starships is called a "warpcore".
If it is put on a station or a planet, it is probably not going to be called warpcore is it?
your seem to be correct as i beleive DS9 called theirs a reactor core