Echo-ing the post above me it doesn't matter that much.
A decent DPS build is going to be decent regardless of energy type, A bad one will be bad regardless.
I highly recommend you go with what ever colour you feel looks coolest coming out of your ship. But if the small margins really matter to you then Plasma or Disruptor are the two best, disruptor being very slightly better. Tetrion and polaron are the least useful in stfs due to the large amount of time spent destroying structures.
I'm building my Scimitar to do STFs and wondering of energy types "after" LoR.
In my FED I use Antiproton Weapons, for my Romulan with the Scimitar, Plasma DHCs so far...
So... which energy type is good for Elite STFs after LoR? Which one you use?
use what you like. There are very little differences between the different energy type weapons, nothing important in pve (and IMHO not always for pvp). You just need a decent build and knowing what to do.
Sometimes it matters as part of an overall build. I have a Fleet Prometheus set up with Plasmonic Leech, Polaron weapons and sometimes Tractor Beam Repulsors (with doff) as a sort of offensive drain build. Borg cheat, but I can manage to substantially weaken a group of Nanite Spheres or Borg Raptors with it. If you want DPS flat out, the energy types that play into that are:
Antiproton (Increased critical severity, works best if you have spec and consoles boosting crit chance)
Plasma (Plasma burn DoT inflicts a bit of extra damage)
Disruptor (Damage resistance debuff to target, possibly the most powerful in a team setting because it benefits you AND all your team mates when you focus fire)
Romulan Plasma is popular because it stacks two useful DPS procs (Plasma and Disruptor). It does so at the cost of a [Dmg]x2 mod that you could have with Fleet weapons, so be aware your individual damage may be a bit lower.
The other three energy types are mostly for specific types of build. Phaser for shutdown, Polaron for power drain, Tetryon for shield drain. As others have said though, unless you're really interested in the maximum effect, weapon procs don't trigger enough to make a huge difference. Pick what you like.
Last edited by shockwave85; 09-10-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Best Energy Types For the PvE Hero:
1. Plasma - With a combination of tactical consoles and Romulan [Pla] Embassy consoles, this damage type is the hardest hitting brute-force weapon available. Alas, it ain't cheap anymore. Without [Pla] embassy consoles or the Romulan Plasma Harness 2pc boost, though, it's got nothing special. Cannons make an obnoxious screeching noise.
2. Disruptor - With a wide variety to choose from, and a generally helpful proc (Everything Has a Hull), not to mention a pleasing noise, it's hard to go wrong here. Unfortunately, this is Hella Expensive.
3. AP - Brute force and unsubtle. The only "proc" whose rate can be boosted. Limited availabity in selection. May become big in the next Lockbox. Noise widely regarded as horribly obnoxious.
4. Polaron - Cheap. Proc only marginally useful. But cheap.
5. Tetryon - Real Cheap. Proc nearly useless. But it makes a nice sound and costs dirt, and the damage is as good as anything else.
Phasers - Unless your ship is married to this energy type due to the requirements of its special features and consoles, avoid: This proc is pretty much useless in PvE. NPCs either don't have systems, or don't care when those systems are randomly disabled.
Ultimately, picking a type based on your favorite color and noise is as valid as anything else, for all the difference it really makes.