Career Officer
# 1 For those Borg LTSers
09-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Okay, obviously people (myself included) asking for a Borg faction over the years has created some upset and also some interesting points on how/why it can't/shouldn't work. For the last two weeks I have thought a lot about how it could work and the possible benefits. This is based on an idea I posted on another thread but I really wanted to expand on it and maybe even have some input or you could add some creative ideas to expand on it.

First let me point out that this is not a request for a faction but an expansion on something already current in the game.

This idea is based on the Borg Cooperative. Similar to the Cooperative, a Borg Cube (or something like it) was disabled and the Borg crew regained their individuality and started their own colony on a planet in the Gamma Orionis Sector, hidden in an anomaly.

The crew of this cube would have consisted of mostly Alpha/Beta quadrant species and would explain the origin of your Klingon/Human/Romulan liberated Borg. Liberated Borg players would have access to this colony and it's amenities, much like the Captain's Table but only for Liberated Borg.

A couple of things Liberated Borg have access to while on the Colony are:

Liberated Borg Reputation System with Liberated Borg store (more on this later)
Access to unique DOff missions that grant titles and a unique non-combat ability as well as Transwarp to Colony ability
Daily Quests that grant rep marks
Liberated Borg DOff vendor (purchase DOffs with rep marks, that will be needed for Borg DOff missions)

The Liberated Borg store could have unique items like:

Assimilated Ship Skin. Example Before and After (much like the Borg Space Set but takes it to a new level!)
Borg Outfits, Infected Skin and Implants (customizable at the tailor for you and your BOffs)
Unique Borg Ship Interior (one size fits all for all ships and comes with Borg Crew)
Unique Borg Ground Weapons (they replace your arm!)

The benefits to taking it this route are:

Keeps it limited to LTS
Could promote more LTS sales
Since most of this is visual, PvP balance won't be an issue
Most of this is already in STO so it would need very little Dev time. Most time would go into makng ship skins for all player ships
Hey all my old posts are gone!

Starfleet Veteran
# 2
09-09-2013, 02:00 PM
I afraid it would be highly unlikely that the developers would put this much time and effort into something exclusive to lifetime subscriptions. We couldn't get them to put borg parts into the alien gen. Veteran/lifetime palyers already have access to an exclusive zone in the Captain's Table. An assimilated ship skin is already exists in the Omega rep.

I also think this would take a lot more development time than you think, and only a small subset of the community would benefit.

@greendragoon

Last edited by thegreendragoon1; 09-09-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Career Officer
# 3
09-09-2013, 02:06 PM
I can see Them adding something akin to Hugh's' Group to the game at some point...

... albeit not for quite some time.

But I don't ever see Them adding a way for players to actually be part of the 'Collective'.

Being a Mindless Drone is not conducive to bringing about much in the way of game play.

Let alone how it could be monetized.

<shrug>
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
09-09-2013, 02:07 PM
The problem I see here is that we are already lifers. The only way they would do this is if it would attract new lifers and therefor this thread would need to be done by non lifers. I think they should be the ones adding to this from here on out.
Captain
# 5
09-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Could see something like this set up for when a Liberated Borg faction is implemented. People could have Liberated Borg that ally with the Federation or Klingons or have Liberated Borg Humans and Liberated Borg Klingons ally with this faction. Who says it can't work the other way around. Certain stuff would obviously be limited to lifetimers like the Liberated Borg store. Just don't see the devs implementing this for only lifetimers. Liberated Borg Store might be limited to lifetimers were we can look more borg like, but not a reputation and mission content.
Career Officer
# 6
09-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Could see something like this set up for when a Liberated Borg faction is implemented. People could have Liberated Borg that ally with the Federation or Klingons or have Liberated Borg Humans and Liberated Borg Klingons ally with this faction. Who says it can't work the other way around. Certain stuff would obviously be limited to lifetimers like the Liberated Borg store. Just don't see the devs implementing this for only lifetimers. Liberated Borg Store might be limited to lifetimers were we can look more borg like, but not a reputation and mission content.
The devs have said in the past that IF they ever did a Borg faction it would be done as Liberated Borg.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Uhm keep it to lts only and you gain a small amount of LTS sales plus a massive ****storm.

LTS allready gain a lot of nice perks, if you want to give Lifers some special, give them "true" borg drone Visuals for their char and all Bofs, in adition to the special faction ships, which would be included anyway.

But more, would simply be to much.
Career Officer
# 8
09-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oschw View Post
Uhm keep it to lts only and you gain a small amount of LTS sales plus a massive ****storm.

LTS allready gain a lot of nice perks, if you want to give Lifers some special, give them "true" borg drone Visuals for their char and all Bofs, in adition to the special faction ships, which would be included anyway.

I certainly wouldn't complain if we got more, but all they'd have to do to mollify me is replace the Lib Borg race with another unique race that only lifers can play.
Career Officer
# 9
09-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Great input so far, I would love a full faction but this seems a little easier to implement without adding a bunch of quest. Also that Borg Cooperative link explains that after they regained self awareness their former feelings towards their former enemies reemerged. I could see how our Liberated Borg could do the same (better explanation than the current Romulans killing each other hehe). Maybe while at the Colony you are reintegrated into the mini Cooperative and can ally with each other.

I'm also all for anyone having access but a few LTS members (not myself) have brought up concern that it devalues their financial investment into STO and I can understand that. An easy solution could be like sopwithsnipe mentioned, a "unique race" and I agree.

This seems like an extra incentive to purchase a LTS for the added end game content. Non LTS players would still have what is currently available to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oschw View Post
if you want to give Lifers some special, give them "true" borg drone Visuals for their char and all Bofs, in adition to the special faction ships, which would be included anyway.

Not a bad point. I guess they could just put a Borg vendor in the Captain's Table and just sell a few items like you mentioned for Dilithium or Zen.
Hey all my old posts are gone!

Last edited by trekthestars; 09-09-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 10
09-09-2013, 03:27 PM
While I would certainly like to see some more LTS perks, we have to be realistic: In this Perfect World, the price of a lifetime subscription is roughly equal to price of a single lockbox ship. There won't be any substantial additions.

If you want more borg stuff, you'll have to ask for it to be available to everyone.

And under those circumstances I prefer the status quo. No need to derail the game into United Borg Federation vs Klingon of Borg Empire.