Captain
I've got an Easter egg in my Foundry mission where an acting ensign in engineering has done something stupid involving green lights and a plasma plume, the chief engineer is standing there yelling at him, and there's a Starfleet Klingon ensign on the second floor pointing-and-laughing. I want to know how to say, "What an idiot!" in Klingonese for the Klingon's dialog bubble.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
09-14-2013, 03:20 PM
What a petaQ you are for not knowing what petaQ means.

LOL kidding.
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
09-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Bing translator says: "nuq toDSaH"
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message ^^
Captain
# 4
09-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutes View Post
Bing translator says: "nuq toDSaH"
Bing has a translator for Klingonese?

@jumpingjs: I was using petaQ as a placeholder but they use that for everything.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Captain
# 5
09-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
Bing has a translator for Klingonese?

@jumpingjs: I was using petaQ as a placeholder but they use that for everything.
Yes, yes it does.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
09-14-2013, 03:28 PM
yup, tlhIngan SIbI' qutluch patlh Sovmo'

Yup, Klingon has gone official.

But don't hold your horses, translating it back to english doesn't work that well.
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message ^^
Captain
# 7
09-14-2013, 03:31 PM
I dont think Klingons use their word for idiot much ...... the backhand usually reaches you first.

# 8
09-14-2013, 07:12 PM
They don't have "hello" either. According to a book on imaginary languages (including Klingon, JRR Tolkien's Middle Earth languages, loglan, etc.), I think the closest approximation is: "If something" (or someone) "is in your way, knock it aside."
Career Officer
# 9
09-14-2013, 09:48 PM
yIntagh is actually the most literal translation of the English word "idiot."

nuq toDSaH literally means "You wimp" or "You wuss" (only more so)

petaQ has no direct English translation, but it's a semi-curse word that falls in somewhere between "bastard" and "@$$hole."

For "hello" - if approaching someone and you want to get their attention, you grunt (if they are an inferior) or say "Sir" (qaH) if they are a superior. The response when being approached is always nuqneH? ("What do you want?")

And yeah, Bing's tlhingan Hol translator sucks out loud. But translating between the latinized Klingon and pIqaD (Klingon script) works like a charm.

When I come across a Klingon word I don't know or need to translate something into Klingon, I use either this site or this one. Constructing sentences is what gets people thrown for a loop though. Using suffixes Klingons can actually condense an entire phrase or even a sentence into a single word, and their sentence structure is very alien (although it follows for the most part a strict rule of object-verb-subject that makes perfect sense once you understand it.)

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics

Last edited by sander233; 09-14-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Captain
# 10
09-14-2013, 10:28 PM
In "The Chase", the Klingon captain called his first officer an "incompetent to'pa". That's probably close enough.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q