Commander
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 338
# 41
09-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Can anyone tell me what kind of exterior customization options the tactical escorts (both the t3 and t5 versions) have?

I've noticed that a lot of the romulan ships, like KDF ships, have very few options when it comes to customizing the outward appearance of your ship. Romulans at least get a lot of skin textures and window types, but do these tactical escorts give you the option to pick from different wing/hull/nacell/saucer types?
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,763
# 42
09-16-2013, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lianthelia View Post
Apparently they were needed since so many people wanted to have a Tac option for Captain level...you knew they were bound to make a retrofit along with the Cmdr version...and this way now every faction has their identifying damage quad cannons.

So they killed two birds with one stone...filled in a lot of things people wanted.
I agree, this is one of the reasons why they made one. The Federation and KDF gets a ship like this. The Romulans didn't have one. And now they do. Plus there was a ton of bickering over the ship choice at that level. I used the Romulan ship anyways. Since I wanted to stay with my "faction". I didn't have issues with it. And I'm a Tac captain. So yes they did the right thing bringing this out.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 447
# 43
09-16-2013, 08:11 AM
man did i not expect this much hate for this ship, I sometimes feel I am the only one on STO that has no issues with any of the new ships, Scimi was fine from day one so is ths ship.
Jorhana Kreig: KDF, Tal'is: Romulan Fed, Shona'a: Romulan KDF, Johan Paul Kreig: Fed
I.R.W. Valdore gives 0 (132283) Radiation Damage to Tal'is with Thalaron Pulse. ==> Tal'is deals 132283 Special Damage to Tal'is with Immunity Matrix

Lt. Commander
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 228
# 44
09-16-2013, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasukurobi View Post
Well they did need to get out the Plasma Quad Cannons from somewhere. Everyone was asking for them. However, Quads on Romulan Ships are a bit rougher than they are on normal ships were they are still hard to justify most of the time.



I agree with you and also disagree with you.

What I agree is that if you cannot handle a ship and what it can do then even if it is awesome it does not matter. The Scimitar is a prime example. To someone who get get every last drop of Over Powered Greatness from that ship it blows EVERYTHING else out space. However, it takes a very particular set of captaining skills to do that and if you do not have them then it will NOT come across feeling very powerful at all to you. You might do a lot better in something like a Cruiser if that is your thing.

HOWEVER, I disagree with the idea that there is no way to compare ships. When you make ship comparisons you must assume that the Captain in question can handle the ship and use it to its fullest. With that assumption made then you can look at what each ship can do in terms of turn rate, shield modifier, hull strength, weapon slots, console slots, BOFF seating, power levels, and all special powers and determine which ships are better than which others and there are clear and definitive measures to back this up.

This ship does NOT measure up well to what we already have access to. In terms of its stats and actual capabilities it is not that great. That means if you take someone who can Captain her perfectly and pit her against a Fleet Dhelan with a similarly competent Captain then the Fleet Dhelan would win every time hands down due to its superior stats and performance. This same sort of analysis applies to EVERYTHING in life but you MUST remove the randomness of the human element when trying to make any comparison otherwise there are far too many confounding factors.



Also: I am not saying you cannot fly this thing. It is not going to go away. I really do not care rather you prefer it or not. The question was asked what our opinion of this Warbird was. I gave mine and since have backed it up with a bit more details and facts. However, the more I back it up the less of an opinion it becomes and the more of an objective statement we are reaching. All I care to do is in this case is inform others how it stacks up compared to its competition so that those who are considering buying it are armed with a few more facts with which to make their final decision.
.. i dont have fleet ships and i kill them every time... So your saying i need fleet ships because of sts .. well from what i seen i seen alot of pvp people use non fleet ships and still win... O_o... i dont understand that this game is about skill not about ships you can fly what you want and make good ship... its meant to be like fast and hit ship can hit pretty hard depending on the person and his play style and it can cloak so you an ambush people and do lots of tricks and hit hard... i am sorry but i dont agree on comparing ships. if you say thats tru might as well have every one fly fleet ships and not fly The scimatar or any other ship out there.. My scimatar is a good ship its not fleet but its geared right and i still pose a challenge O_o... So in other words i am not done gearing it yet but when i am done it will be dealdy..if you have this ship geared out right and make it work you can do well.. Hey all my family is in the marines you know what they say make it work dont complain.. simple fact...So yeah if you dont belive this then you have not meet good pvp people in good ships that are in not fleet ships like the C store ships.. or locked box ships or any other ship i seen.. A ship a a ship the captain makes good ship :O..... My scaimatar is not a weak. fleet ships can pop like any other ship its about skill . I hate to burst your bubble but from what i have seen its not true i dont even have one fleet ship at all in my hanger not one and i do fine ..That is why i dont use fleet ships because every one forces them on you telling you must use fleet must have to or you suck in pvp.. well i got news for you i dont use em and i do fine .. with proper gear seatings and everthing.. so i dont have to fly fleet because its the best... No pvp is about team work and how well you work with you team dont matter what ship your in if you know hwo to use it and you use it to your advantage you can win... I used to pvp way back when the game started so i dont want you to tell me fleet ships are the way to go. So yeah we all have different thought on ships there will be no facts or trying to persade people about your truth because if there was we all wont be havign wars and we all wont be fighting over stupif stuff ... Fleet ships are good but.. what i am saying is since they turned this into pay to win or grind to win fleet ships .. how ever you called it because it forces you to join fleet and get a ship. wow .. thats just plain dumb..I only have ships that are not fleet and i play fine in them why do i need fleet ship O_O.. i pvp in my scimatar its not fleet standerd but i do fine..... i bet if i figure out this ship i will pvp in it well to .. Then again i have a friend who knows how to pvp well in light fast ships and do some amazing stuff with em... so yeah just let people have fun and thats that...

Last edited by goku5030; 09-16-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 228
# 45
09-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johankreig View Post
man did i not expect this much hate for this ship, I sometimes feel I am the only one on STO that has no issues with any of the new ships, Scimi was fine from day one so is ths ship.
yep sadly thats what it is haha its like buying new pair of sneakers and .. you get sick of em and hate em and then you buy new ones because the old ones got riped up haha....Thats just the way it is people dont know how to think when they see something new .. its the same as everything else they all belive what the hear instead of trying let people play what they want ..Sad world ><
Ensign
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
# 46
09-16-2013, 10:48 AM
For what I use it for (the 30-40 levelling run) I'm finding it a joy to use. Was dreading having to try and do that stretch in a Big Double-D (and hoping I can come up with some way to avoid it for my eng captain. Yes, I rather dislike the looks/crap turning of the D'Deridex, having had bad memories of my galaxy.)

I'm sure there are better options at T5 than the refits, but for where I am now, it's a pretty ship that does what I want it to. I can't say fairer than that.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,329
# 47
09-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goku5030 View Post
.. i dont have fleet ships and i kill them every time... So your saying i need fleet ships because of sts .. well from what i seen i seen alot of pvp people use non fleet ships and still win... O_o... i dont understand that this game is about skill not about ships you can fly what you want and make good ship... its meant to be like fast and hit ship can hit pretty hard depending on the person and his play style and it can cloak so you an ambush people and do lots of tricks and hit hard... i am sorry but i dont agree on comparing ships. if you say thats tru might as well have every one fly fleet ships and not fly The scimatar or any other ship out there.. My scimatar is a good ship its not fleet but its geared right and i still pose a challenge O_o... So in other words i am not done gearing it yet but when i am done it will be dealdy..if you have this ship geared out right and make it work you can do well.. Hey all my family is in the marines you know what they say make it work dont complain.. simple fact...So yeah if you dont belive this then you have not meet good pvp people in good ships that are in not fleet ships like the C store ships.. or locked box ships or any other ship i seen.. A ship a a ship the captain makes good ship :O..... My scaimatar is not a weak. fleet ships can pop like any other ship its about skill . I hate to burst your bubble but from what i have seen its not true i dont even have one fleet ship at all in my hanger not one and i do fine ..That is why i dont use fleet ships because every one forces them on you telling you must use fleet must have to or you suck in pvp.. well i got news for you i dont use em and i do fine .. with proper gear seatings and everthing.. so i dont have to fly fleet because its the best... No pvp is about team work and how well you work with you team dont matter what ship your in if you know hwo to use it and you use it to your advantage you can win... I used to pvp way back when the game started so i dont want you to tell me fleet ships are the way to go. So yeah we all have different thought on ships there will be no facts or trying to persade people about your truth because if there was we all wont be havign wars and we all wont be fighting over stupif stuff ... Fleet ships are good but.. what i am saying is since they turned this into pay to win or grind to win fleet ships .. how ever you called it because it forces you to join fleet and get a ship. wow .. thats just plain dumb..I only have ships that are not fleet and i play fine in them why do i need fleet ship O_O.. i pvp in my scimatar its not fleet standerd but i do fine..... i bet if i figure out this ship i will pvp in it well to .. Then again i have a friend who knows how to pvp well in light fast ships and do some amazing stuff with em... so yeah just let people have fun and thats that...
This response tells me that I have somehow failed to communicate effectively with you because you seem to have gotten the wrong message. That is regrettable and I will attempt now to figure out a way to properly communicate my actual point so that hopefully it is more clearly understood.

First, I would never speak ill of the Scimitar, it is the most powerful ship in the game currently without question. However, like you have quite correctly pointed out, if the person who is flying the Scimitar is not comfortable with flying it and does not really have a feel for how to use it and set it up correctly then they will not find it a good ship because their inability to cope with the ship will cause it to fail for them consistently. That is to say that Captain skill and comfort with any given ship is far more important than the ship itself in most cases.

Secondly, I did not really suggest that you MUST fly Fleet ships or that I even believe all fleet ships are the best and indeed most Lock Box ships are not that great from what I have seen.

Lastly, what I AM saying is this:

Ship A has 5 Forward Weapons, 3 Rear Weapons, 5 Tactical Consoles and 5 Engineering Consoles. It has a Turn Rate of 17. It has 45,000 Hull and 10,000 Shields per Facing with a Standard Shield. It also has a Tactical Heavy BOFF layout with two of Lt. Universals that can be used for anything.

Ship B has 4 Forward Weapons, 3 Rear Weapons, 4 Tactical Consoles, 3 Science Consoles, and 2 Engineering Consoles. It has a Turn Rate of 14. It has 40,000 Hull and 8,000 Shields per Facing with a Standard Shield. It also has a Tactical Heavy BOFF layout with no Universal Seats and only a Lt. Engineering Seat for Engineering skills.


Now if you have both ships set up as best as you can get them so that they deal optimal damage and tank as fully as they can and both ships are Captained by very competent Captains who are comfortable with their ship and the ships tactics then Ship A is going to win every time. Why is Ship A going to win? Because it has the better stats, it has more firepower, better console layout, better BOFF layout, more Hull and Shields, and it turns faster than Ship B. There is no way Ship B is going to outperform Ship A if both their Captains are of equal skill levels. The only way Ship B can defeat Ship A is if the Captain of Ship B is more skilled and more comfortable with their ship than the Captain of Ship A is.

With that said: Ships CAN be compared to one another the moment you remove human error and skill levels.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,050
# 48
09-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalsovereign View Post
Some of us choose not to use ships of alien manufacture. We remember those cursed klivam vessels all too well - rumor has it that they award shipbuilding contracts to the lowest bidder, and it was quite obvious.
Funny, I don't recall the Phaser / Disruptor Quad Cannons forcing you to use a Fed or KDF ship even when playing with your Romulans. Please correct me if I'm wrong
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,050
# 49
09-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by telbasta7386 View Post
Can anyone tell me what kind of exterior customization options the tactical escorts (both the t3 and t5 versions) have?

I've noticed that a lot of the romulan ships, like KDF ships, have very few options when it comes to customizing the outward appearance of your ship. Romulans at least get a lot of skin textures and window types, but do these tactical escorts give you the option to pick from different wing/hull/nacell/saucer types?
Welcome to STO outside the Federation!
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,319
# 50
09-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmaker001b View Post
Not really. The Romulans aren't their own faction. They already had access to Quad Cannons via the Fed or KDF side of the game.
Not everyone wants to use disruptors and I imagine less want to use phasers, some people want to stick with plasma which is the official damage type of the RR. Ignoring the quads for a sec a lot of people have complained about having to fly the DD for ten levels...I didn't care and I flew the DD but you have to be blind not to notice the complaints from people.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:00 PM.