Ensign
# 1 System Requirements for STO
10-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Hello, I have a gaming PC that I custom built from scratch to play Mech Warrior Online. My PC handles that game just fine but when I'm trying to play Star Trek Online my video card is acting like it can barely handle this MMO's graphics engine. The temperature is fine on all my hardware except my GPU, which is sometimes at 90c after doing just one mission(episode). My GPU is brand new so there is no dust problem.

What's the name of STO's graphics engine?

What do I need to change about my PC's hardware in order to enjoy Star Trek Online on max graphics without my PC putting forth much effort to handle the game?

Below are my specs:

Power Supply Unit: 80+platinum Roswell 750watt
Motherboard: ASUS 990FX R2.0
CPU: AMD FX8350 8 core processor(4.1GB per core)
GPU: XFX 7950 3GB
RAM: 16GB DDR3 dual channel
HDD: 750GB
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
10-03-2013, 08:20 PM
The engine is the Cryptic Engine - I don't think they've ever given it a formal name, but STO, CO, and NW all have forks of the same base code.

Driver issue perhaps? I'll be honest: My system is inferior to yours in every spec, and I can crank everything up to maximum and it only hiccups in missions where the engine hits its effect limit (especially common in starbase defense and Crystalline Entity), where the only issue is objects and effects dropping in and out, the framerate doesn't suffer.
Commander
# 3
10-03-2013, 10:27 PM
I have pretty much the same specs, only difference is that i use a HD 7970, and yes, it's also heating pretty well., BUT i had a temperature reduction by approximately 10C when i installed Windows 8.1 (for the DX 11.1 Ugrade) and another 7with upgrading to the latest driver (currently Catalyst 13.10), so all in all about 17C reduction with software upgrades - hope this helps

Edit: do you actually use the AMD control center (not sure if it's actually called like that, will have a look the next time i turn my pc on), you can change the settings of your graphics cards fan there...

I Support the Jupiter & Typhoon classes as playable ships! (As do about 185 other Supporters)

Last edited by ltdata96; 10-03-2013 at 10:44 PM.