Lt. Commander
# 1 fighting the borg
03-09-2010, 09:50 AM
I started to try hunting borg last night. They did something where my shields went away or my weapons didn't fire. What weapons do they use? are there good tactics to use against the borg?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-09-2010, 10:04 AM
I believe that's a borg centric tactic and not a specific weapon.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-09-2010, 10:47 AM
there any way to counter that?
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Lesser Borg vessels seem to do a lot of damage on regards to shield directly Take 'em down quick is the best advice I can give on them.

Borg Cubes on the other hand are an entirely different kinda of fight. Shields? What shields? Should be your expectation hen fighting a Cube. All of Your shields will be depleted at some points and kept bottomed out for most of the time. The fortunately thing is that a Cube isn't nuke crazy with it's weapons. So you can actually survive a fight on no or minimal shields. As long as you pay attention.

And don't let the no shields thing intimidate you. It did me at first. When ALL of my shields went down, I fled from the first Cube I fought. It happended again, and a third time. Thereafter I avoided Cubes with my Science ship as I though Cubes were not soloable by them (me). But one time I had a "What the hell" moment when facing a Cube. I knew I was gonna lose in the end. But I wanted to see how long I could last. After a fast and furious battles I was faced with...an exploding Cube. *blink* I won? ... I won!

My advice is to make the most of you Shield buff abilities. Use them even if they seem non-effective.Even a teensy bit of Shield helps. And make sure you have some Hull healing abilities. Hazard Team, Aux to SIF, Eng Team, etc. You have enough BOs, you could even form a special anti-Borg crew to deal with them.. That's that I'm doing, (Stillil haven't nailed things down yet. :/ )
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-09-2010, 11:27 AM
You can do a couple of things:
* Blind them by jamming their sensors, preferably having 2 so you can tag them back to back
* Scramble sensors is great fun against groups, although Iíve noticed that it sometimes does not work against Borg spheres (this could be user error)
* Incapacitate them with Viral Matrix, rip their shields, and paste them with OL torps
* Partially incapacitate them with Tykon's Rift, ripping a shield and then more OL torps

Better yet, ignore your shields. Protect your hull with Science Team (buffs sci, hull, and shields), Engineering team (to rebuild), and the power that protects against tractors (canít recall name off hand). Consider some of these as you close instead of after they fire. Make SURE you kill the plasma torp the Borg fires or it will wreck your hull.

I almost peed my pants the first time I met a Borg mission as a RA. Then I almost completely reworked my BO science powers (getting Sci Team, scramble sensors, another Tykonís Rift, etc) and the next engagement was not a near death experience. Now my Trident science ship has to work, but not nearly as hard. Many times the Borg donít even do noticable hull damage.

Bottom line, you have to fight the Borg differently than other encounters. This is a good thing. Even better, the tactics used against the Borg work very well against other races.

And a different mindset is a good thing Ė expanding horizons.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Borg cubes are a funny thing in this game. Their role is close to being a stereotypical support role with emphasis in shield-stripping torpedoes, tractor beams, and low damage, but with the quirk of being able to soak damage. The Tactical Cube fills the role of what we'd normally expect from a normal cube based on the show.

Alone, they really don't pose a threat aside from the wow-factor of losing all your shields and the huge warp core breach damage. When accompanies by other ships, they are devastating due to their ability to keep you locked down without shields while other Borg ships pound on you.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Borg love delicious shields.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxe
Borg love delicious shields.
AHA That's the Borg's weakness. They have a graviton deficiency. That's way they always drain Defelector Shields first.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-09-2010, 01:33 PM
I have noticed that if I stay as near to maximum range as possible they tend to do less of the nasty stuff to me. This may just have been good fortune on my part, but as long as it seems to be working I am using this tactic..lol.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-09-2010, 02:14 PM
@nonthal2: Some Science-Abilities got 90į-Frontarc and/or 5 km Range, that might be the Reason.