Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,268
# 1 "Legends of the Fall"
09-12-2013, 12:39 AM
Hi all,

This is the title for my next Boot Camp Companion Guide.

Its going to be a showcase of the legendary stories of STO PvP.

For all of you that would like to contribute an article, I would be humbled to hear from you.

I hope to hear from you all, as this edition is going to be a bumper edition celebrating the PvP communities past, present and future!

Whatever form your support takes of PvP, I would like to hear from you.

Cheers,
@drkfrontiers

Last edited by drkfrontiers; 09-12-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,441
# 2
09-12-2013, 12:44 AM
Hm.

Not that I don't get the idea behind it, but this kind of topic (people to honor in PvP) tends to turn into flame wars and politics and all other sorts of whatnot. You all sure this is a good idea?
Take it easy!

Ishmael@scurry5: A Nibbling Sci
"Squeak?"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 200
# 3
09-12-2013, 12:53 AM
When you say "legends of PvP", what sort of legends do you mean?

...legendary players?
...legendary fleets?
...legendary builds?
...legendary skills?
...legendary gear?
...legendary bugs?

Some of these might be fun to write about (anybody remember the Jem'Hadar shield bug? the BO + Eng Team bug?) and let people reminisce about the good (and/or bad) old days of PvP. However, I'd share Scurry's concern about this discussion turning into flame wars if you decide to write about people or fleets; even builds, skills, gears, and bugs can be flashpoints given how strongly people can disagree about them.

Still, I'm interested to see what direction you (and the rest of the PvP Boot Camp) team decide to take this in. Good luck with it.
Resist viewer! See shield/hull resists! Read about it here!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,268
# 4
09-12-2013, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurry5 View Post
Hm.

Not that I don't get the idea behind it, but this kind of topic (people to honor in PvP) tends to turn into flame wars and politics and all other sorts of whatnot. You all sure this is a good idea?
I hope that it does not. We are all legends in one form or another, so its not grand standing by a few.

If you have insights into something you think is great, a cool story which will add value, or just a memory to reminisce, then please mail me!

Last edited by drkfrontiers; 09-12-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,268
# 5
09-12-2013, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by renimalt View Post
When you say "legends of PvP", what sort of legends do you mean?

...legendary players?
...legendary fleets?
...legendary builds?
...legendary skills?
...legendary gear?
...legendary bugs?

Some of these might be fun to write about (anybody remember the Jem'Hadar shield bug? the BO + Eng Team bug?) and let people reminisce about the good (and/or bad) old days of PvP. However, I'd share Scurry's concern about this discussion turning into flame wars if you decide to write about people or fleets; even builds, skills, gears, and bugs can be flashpoints given how strongly people can disagree about them.

Still, I'm interested to see what direction you (and the rest of the PvP Boot Camp) team decide to take this in. Good luck with it.
All the topics you mentioned

The title of the magazine is a salute to the PvP Community, nothing more.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,416
# 6
09-12-2013, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by renimalt View Post
When you say "legends of PvP", what sort of legends do you mean?

...legendary players?
...legendary fleets?
...legendary builds?
...legendary skills?
...legendary gear?
...legendary bugs?

Some of these might be fun to write about (anybody remember the Jem'Hadar shield bug? the BO + Eng Team bug?) and let people reminisce about the good (and/or bad) old days of PvP. However, I'd share Scurry's concern about this discussion turning into flame wars if you decide to write about people or fleets; even builds, skills, gears, and bugs can be flashpoints given how strongly people can disagree about them.

Still, I'm interested to see what direction you (and the rest of the PvP Boot Camp) team decide to take this in. Good luck with it.
how could you forget the "legendary fail"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,441
# 7
09-12-2013, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716 View Post
how could you forget the "legendary fail"
Ooh, yes, a compilation of all those BoPs that accidentally blew themselves up while making attack runs

Oh, and nominate SNB as the 'one skill to rule them all'.

Or maybe even Voldy as the bug of all?
Take it easy!

Ishmael@scurry5: A Nibbling Sci
"Squeak?"
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,541
# 8
09-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Hmm... Stories... of Legends?

What kind of stories are you looking for?

The Heroic Tales and memories of the fleet known as QEW an their Epic War against TSI?

Or perhaps the Razer Fleet Leader goes head to head with one of the TSI Fleet leaders causing massive Mutings in OPVP?

Or perhaps the days of Santa Claws taking on Pugs single handedly and winning matches?

All of which of course are back well before the days of F2P... Some might almost think of those days as the Glory Days (I did say SOME!) since it was before the Frengi took over

So, let's be specific here.. What kind of stories ARE you looking for exactly? Personal Experiences that were just so Epic? Stories of other players? Klingon Opera songs sung for other players (No I did not do this, just guessing some one might have done this lol) Or something else entirely?

Edit: Oh and I will suggest you need to have at least 1 Thissler Video linked some where.... Because you know.. his Videos are always Epic stories. ^_^
You think that your beta test was bad?
Think about this:
American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,541
# 9
09-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Well, while that question is sitting in my head, I do have one Story I can talk about that I hope is not a "Name and shame" and it deals with Borticus's first big "Blunder"... The Jem'Hadar Shields... and the Brace for Impact Duty Officers....

I remember when this bug first showed up.. The funniest part of the bug.. was that it was revealed on camera while Borticus was filming an eposide of STOked. Where he would run through the mission you had to play in order to get this shield, the final Mission in the Jem'Hadar Series, Boldly they Rode.

I was watching STOked live and chatting along with the rest of the audiance, when suddenly they read a message from none other then zorena. Stating how the Brace for Impact doff was activating off the Jem'Hadar Shield.

Now what I mean by reacting, is that when ever you got shot, the chance for the Brace for impact Doff would proc and your Shields and Hull would get healed. Not only that, but because of the rate of fire in PVP.. it could cause MAJOR server lag.. even causing players to be DCed from experiencing the bug.

What I remember most, before the Server Stress issue was revealed, after Zorena mentioned this bug to Borticus while on Air, his statement was "Oh well, didn't think of that interaction.. I guess PVP will be borked till we can fix it!" to which he chuckled before continueing on.

That is a bug I will never forget. And I do recall even trying the bug out in Ker'rat on some of the Farmers. And of course I was not the only one! To say the tears ran in Ker'rat, is a mild exaduration.

Edit: Now before people get bent out of shape as to why I posted this story is not because I dislike Borticus. Quite the Contrary actually. I respect him because he has gone above and beyond for PVP.. Doesn't mean it isn't funny to look back and remember the story of his first major Flop with PVP.. Just to show he has come so far since then.
You think that your beta test was bad?
Think about this:
American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku

Last edited by webdeath; 09-12-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 213
# 10
09-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdeath View Post
Well, while that question is sitting in my head, I do have one Story I can talk about that I hope is not a "Name and shame" and it deals with Borticus's first big "Blunder"... The Jem'Hadar Shields... and the Brace for Impact Duty Officers....

I remember when this bug first showed up.. The funniest part of the bug.. was that it was revealed on camera while Borticus was filming an eposide of STOked. Where he would run through the mission you had to play in order to get this shield, the final Mission in the Jem'Hadar Series, Boldly they Rode.

I was watching STOked live and chatting along with the rest of the audiance, when suddenly they read a message from none other then zorena. Stating how the Brace for Impact doff was activating off the Jem'Hadar Shield.

Now what I mean by reacting, is that when ever you got shot, the chance for the Brace for impact Doff would proc and your Shields and Hull would get healed. Not only that, but because of the rate of fire in PVP.. it could cause MAJOR server lag.. even causing players to be DCed from experiencing the bug.

What I remember most, before the Server Stress issue was revealed, after Zorena mentioned this bug to Borticus while on Air, his statement was "Oh well, didn't think of that interaction.. I guess PVP will be borked till we can fix it!" to which he chuckled before continueing on.

That is a bug I will never forget. And I do recall even trying the bug out in Ker'rat on some of the Farmers. And of course I was not the only one! To say the tears ran in Ker'rat, is a mild exaduration.

Edit: Now before people get bent out of shape as to why I posted this story is not because I dislike Borticus. Quite the Contrary actually. I respect him because he has gone above and beyond for PVP.. Doesn't mean it isn't funny to look back and remember the story of his first major Flop with PVP.. Just to show he has come so far since then.
Good story! I do remeber this bug, too. Was kind an interesting one, I was trying this with another fleetmate of mines, we got more than 5 millions of heal or more, and I was also "trolling" in Ker'rat with this. Oh... Those great funny times!

What I did like whne the Hazard Emitters were all the time broken on some ways. Like did not clear the EWP, etc...

Anyway, if this story would be well-written then I guess it could be involved.

Regards,
----------------------------------------------------
Hussar Guardian Forces
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:06 AM.