Lt. Commander
# 531 DS9 Relaunch Books?
10-01-2008, 03:34 PM
I read in the GameInformer article on STO that all the novels, comics etc. are going to be considered "soft cannon" and incorporated on a case-by-case basis. It looks like the Titan Novels are in based on the Romulan civil war, but I was wondering if the DS9 Relaunch books will be treated as cannon for this game too?

I'm guessing not based on Ro Laren's trial, when she's DS9's Security Chief in the Relaunch books, and Gul Macet being cast as head of a 'conservative bloc' of the Cardassian Government, when he's a very progressive and sympathetic character in the books.

These books did a great job moving the story of DS9 forward, and the inclusion of Ro and Macet added a lot to them, I hope that they aren't going to be overwritten for the purposes of this game.

That being said, I'm really intrigued by the game being set in the post-Nemesis timeframe, and it looks like a great job is being done overall in crafting an interesting and engaging story, I just hope the DS9 Relaunch books get the place they deserve!

TL,DR: Looks great but please include DS9 Relaunch books as cannon!
Lt. Commander
# 532
10-02-2008, 10:21 AM
I am glad to see the universe move on past Nemisis. I was kind of disappointed in the movie. Now I can't wait to play this game and see how the universe continues. I wish we had some sort of release timeframe.
Lt. Commander
# 533
10-02-2008, 02:56 PM
The DS9 relaunch has some really crappy parts. I would hope they ignore them. Most of it is simply written to be written and not written to share a good story.
Lt. Commander
# 534
10-02-2008, 06:11 PM
hey ive been watching for more on our path to 2409 and according to gameinformer we are supposed to see a new "year" each week, well uh we seem stuck at 2379-2380. by my guess if this was supposed to be updated regular like we should be in the late 80's early 90's i think. somethings gone amiss with the path.
Lt. Commander
# 535
10-02-2008, 06:54 PM
ok folks we have a bit of a problem here, Ro Laren can NOT be DS9's security chief, here is why:

she is/was maquis. now, according to an episode on voyager after getting a data stream from starfleet b'elanna gets word that ALL maquis members had been killed in the alpha/gamma quadrents. now, with that in mind how can a MAQUIS member such as Ro Laren become the security chief of DS9 when all the maquis are dead and gone, save for those who were on voyager??? also, if starfleet followed all protocol Ro Laren after turning traitor on a mission ordered by picard would have been courtmarshaled and dishonorably discharged from starfleet and taken to a penal facility where she would have been sentenced to atleast 20-50 years. now, with that in mind, the ds9 relaunch is supposedly BEFORE 2409, so again, how could she be made a security chief while incarserated and or dead if all maquis were truly killed. my next bit of evidence is from the article itself:

Two trials are of note during this time. On stardate 56867.84, the Founder known as the Female Changeling is sentenced for crimes committed against sentient beings during the Dominion War and committed to the Federation maximum security facility at Ananke Alpha. And on stardate 58370.4, Ro Laren surrendered to Starfleet custody. A former member of Starfleet who defected to the Maquis in 2370, Ro plead guilty to charges of desertion and was ordered to report to a penal facility on Earth for rehabilitation.

ok folks now, can you see why the DS9 relaunch thing will not be considered at all? it has errors the likes of which do not fall into line with hard cannon. sorry folks, laren is either in prison or dead, depending on how exacting the eradication of the maquis was.
Lt. Commander
# 536 Addendum
10-03-2008, 05:53 AM
Rejarial: don't forget, it is a Maquis who sent Chakotay a communique from a Starfleet facility. There are some survivors...just very few. The organization of the Maquis is done for, but there are a few stragglers who have survived. There is no reason to think Ro wasn't one of the few.
Lt. Commander
# 537
10-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Just like I've said before Ro will no longer be part of the story. Be ready for new characters, new ships and a new story line. Even if they include some of the old characters their roles might be very brief as admirals or maybe ambassador. Although I can Tuvok mentioned in the game more often since it is possible that he is still active in Starfleet.

P.S. Vulcan's live much longer then humans.
Lt. Commander
# 538
10-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jborondy View Post
I am glad to see the universe move on past Nemisis. I was kind of disappointed in the movie. Now I can't wait to play this game and see how the universe continues. I wish we had some sort of release timeframe.

I agree with you. It was bad idea for a new Star Trek movie to start way in the past. I was really hoping for a new movie or series after Nemesis. I am still watching the new movie coming out but Iím am kind of skeptical.
Lt. Commander
# 539
10-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Rejarial, you're kind of working against yourself: your first point for Ro not being DS9 Security Chief is that all the Maquis are dead, per the Voyager episode. But your second point is the line in the timeline mentioning her trial, so clearly she did survive - STO is already not treating the line from Voyager as literally meaning every single Maquis members is dead and buried. Like rikeromega and a few others have said, it's just that the organization has been massacred to the point of non-existence.

With the 'hard cannon' evidence out, we have conflicting stories in two 'soft cannon' sources, the STO timeline, where Ro is put on trial, and the Relaunch books, where she's pardoned, made DS9 Security Chief and eventually made a Lt. in Starfleet again. The game's not out yet, and even if it was there's always room for retcons (Star Trek probably has the most Retcons of any series out there, and other MMOs do it all the time too). I'm just saying I hope that happens here: either a retcon or a fan**** to bring the DS9 Relaunch into the STO timeline.

Ro's tenure at DS9 and her return to Starfleet have only been chronicled up to 2376 in the books, if her prison time is an important plot point for STO then maybe someone overrules Picard on letting her back in and puts her on trial in '79 anyway. If it's not that key to anything, then I hope it will be retconned out.

Ro is honestly the least of my concerns with the Relaunch being cut out, the line about her trial was just the biggest indication that that's what's happening. I'm more concerned that we'll lose characters like Elias Vaughn, Taran'atar, (ok, both of them are old in '76 and probably long dead by '09, so I'm really concerned with losing their legacy in the ST universe) and the sympathetic characterization of Gul Macet (although like I said I haven't read 'Unity' or the 'Worlds of DS9' mini-series yet so maybe Macet goes "conservative" by 2379 anyway).
Lt. Commander
# 540 Books have never really counted
10-04-2008, 06:26 AM
These books did a great job moving the story of DS9 forward, and the inclusion of Ro and Macet added a lot to them, I hope that they aren't going to be overwritten for the purposes of this game.

TL,DR: Looks great but please include DS9 Relaunch books as cannon![/quote]

You can't use the books as cannon. It would lead to utter confusion as so many of the books conflict with one another such extreme ways that they could never be explained away. For example in the novel "Final Frontier"
The first enterprise is has Kirk's father as the XO and security Officer. They also encounter and "SEE" in person a romulan in this novel which completely conflicts with TV series that stated during the romlulan war they never actually saw the romlulans and had know idea they were offshoots of vulcans. Books are great but the large and varied number of authors with different ideas and outlooks prevent them from ever being worked into ST cannon in a any reasonable fashion. As it is the TV shows conflict with each other enough already. Would not be a good idea to throw in another wrench.
Closed Thread