Survivor of Romulus
Welcome to the Foundry Roundtable, a weekly podcast dedicated to Foundry missions, mission building and other UGC issues starring Foundry authors Drogyn1701, Markhawkman, Hippiejohn and Greendragoon with special guest Isthisscience.

We're on iTunes! Subscribe to our podcast by going to https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/...666311364?mt=2

Listen to it here, here and here:

Subjects:

News: RIP H2orat, fixes and Foundry updates
Tech Topic: The new dialogue trigger
Backstories for characters
Nontraditional characters
Dealing with negative reviews
What makes a good part one

Missions:
Uprising Part 1: Off the Grid
No Prize for Second Contact

Other Notes:

Link to isthisscience's Review Chart http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Eurob...ing-1.png.html

If you have a topic you?d like to see us cover or would like to be a guest-host, e-mail us at FoundryRoundtable@live.com or follow us on Twitter: @FoundryRoundtab
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Career Officer
# 2
09-15-2013, 11:02 PM
Re: Patch notes
Another possibility as to why the devs don't take credit for updates is that they're not 100% certain they won't eventually have to yank them away from us again. The fewer Foundry authors that know about an upgrade in the first place, the fewer authors that will then get p!$$ed at the devs when they take it away. If that's the case, then only upgrades that the devs have committed to well in advance (if not already announced in advance) are likely to be publicized in the patch notes.

Re: The 2800
The devs obviously assumed players would be familiar with the events in DS9 (specifically the S6 episode "Sacrifice of Angels") that set the stage for this FE series (which, coincidentally, my Romulan toon has just gotten around to playing). The mission "Of Bajor" does contain some vague references to the canon events, but nothing that specifically explains that the Dominion fleet that's taken over DS9 is the same fleet Sisko and the Prophets stopped from coming through the wormhole.

Re: Foundry missions as an extension of the LoR storyline
Unfortunately we still are lacking a lot of needed assets to make proper Romulan missions - most conspicuously, maps for New Romulus itself. My development of "Valley of the Shadow, Part II" has hit a significant snag, in that the last third of the mission is meant to occur on and around New Romulus, and we don't have those maps in the Foundry yet, and those maps are so unique that any attempt to make our own versions would be such poor substitutes as to not be worth the bother. (Specifically, I'll need the space map and the Command Center interior for VotS2; I presume other authors will need the various New Romulus outdoor ground maps for their missions too.)

Then, of course, there is the recent bombshell news from CrypticFrost that the Romulan mission designation option, for whatever reason(s), is not going to be (re)introduced - which, I presume, will be Topic A in Episode 32.

Last edited by paxfederatica; 09-15-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
09-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfederatica View Post
Re: Patch notes
Another possibility as to why the devs don't take credit for updates is that they're not 100% certain they won't eventually have to yank them away from us again. The fewer Foundry authors that know about an upgrade in the first place, the fewer authors that will then get p!$$ed at the devs when they take it away. If that's the case, then only upgrades that the devs have committed to well in advance (if not already announced in advance) are likely to be publicized in the patch notes.
That would be pretty silly though cause it really is of value to them and us for us to test these things on Tribble. It's not a good state of affairs when Branflakes has to come make a post in here (not even in its own thread) that the fix for the number one issue affecting the Foundry was up on Tribble. Obviously they felt comfortable letting him say that, so why wasn't it in the Tribble patch notes?

I think I made this statement a couple podcasts ago: Why have patch notes at all if they're not complete? It's a disservice to them and us.

I don't like to rant about stuff, but this is important.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Rihannsu
# 4
09-17-2013, 12:41 PM
After reading multiple threads about multiple types of things that have been left out of patch notes.....

I've concluded that the official patch notes are never complete, and it's not so much that things get intentionally omitted, but that there's a disconnect between the person typing the notes and the people making the changes.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Super Moderator
# 5
09-17-2013, 02:20 PM
"Wretched hive of scum and villany"?

The Forums are Deep Space Nine?
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 6
09-17-2013, 10:28 PM
As far as the dialogue prompt stuff goes, I've been through and refined a few of my optional objectives

Removing invisible object interacts and replacing making the state transitions work off the dialogue

It makes the experience a lot smoother in my opinon,

I have also used it to have a door that is locked and requires a Keycard

Killing a mob, or finding the keycard in a storage locker, Or persuading a dialogue contact to open it for you ( they say no if you annoy them of course ) triggers dialogue of you finding a keycard , this then triggers additional dialogue at a console at the door to unlock it

Fairly mundane uses, but they are much easier to manage and smoother for the player i think with the new options we have

On the topic of non traditional races and stuff, I have a Human ( custom alien ) Starfleet defector as my KDF toon, So very few foundry missions capture my characters attitude properly

also i sense a challenge and I Will now attempt to give Tellarite dialogue options as well as a few more obscure referances to various Federation cultures if possible

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......

Last edited by adverbero; 09-17-2013 at 11:27 PM. Reason: listened to podcast again and noticed more stuff
Commander
# 7
09-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Me too. I play a Klingon of sorts on the KDF side, but he's ex-Borg and kind of weird for a Klingon. (Thinks the whole proud-warrior-race schtick has gone insane and the Empire is eating itself. Which is definitely a point of view.) Never assume that all KDF captains will make sense as chest-beating Viking maniacs. Just looking at the standard KDF races: Orions, Gorn and Letheans aren't necessarily warlike just for the sake of it. Letheans and Nausicaans probably won't give two hoots about honour, so the good old rant about a warrior's honour will make no sense from them. A Liberated Borg Klingon, of course, may be RPed as anything from his old insane Viking self to Seven of Nine-style robot.

Offering Tellarite-type dialogue options sounds a great idea, whether the player's captain is a Tellarite or not... If feeling devious, you might arrange that choosing those options lowers your chance of getting what you want out of the NPC. (Or possibly raises it, if you're talking to a fellow Tellarite!)
Captain
# 8
09-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat140 View Post

Offering Tellarite-type dialogue options sounds a great idea, whether the player's captain is a Tellarite or not... If feeling devious, you might arrange that choosing those options lowers your chance of getting what you want out of the NPC. (Or possibly raises it, if you're talking to a fellow Tellarite!)
Yeah!, ill play around with it as much as i can without burning myself out with too much dialogue, but i like this idea of lowering and raising chances, Possibly even causing hostility and a Bar fight, theres loads of oppertunities

I was also thinking of putting in Tellarite NPCs that the player can Debate with , since that is their traditional sport

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
Commander
# 9
09-21-2013, 01:37 AM
Uhh, finally brought myself to listen... never do a podcast in the middle of the night when you're hyped up on caffeine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adverbero View Post
Yeah!, ill play around with it as much as i can without burning myself out with too much dialogue, but i like this idea of lowering and raising chances, Possibly even causing hostility and a Bar fight, theres loads of oppertunities

I was also thinking of putting in Tellarite NPCs that the player can Debate with , since that is their traditional sport
I suppose if you have an early species-specific choice that then develops into it's own branch and outcome variation. That would be cool.

& Rose Tinted Mirror (Fed 31+)