Lt. Commander
# 131
08-31-2008, 01:21 AM
Congratulations to those who won.
I myself entered, and did not win.
I have a questions/comment regarding the game pay to play situation, according to STO's own FAQ on the game posted here
states, and I quote,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Online FAQ Page View Post
Will a monthly fee be required to play?
We haven't decided on pricing plans yet.
So if they have not decided on whether or not there will be a monthly fee, why would they give a lifetime membership away? Obviously this means they have decied it to be a pay to play game.

I am a bit surprised by this, as I was hoping that the developers would capatalise on some sponsorship from Paramount, or anyone with a vested interest in the continued success of the ST universe in general.

Though this may be the first game I am actually willing to spend money on to try it out, but a demo would be nice regardless, just so we can get a taste.
Lt. Commander
# 132
08-31-2008, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICptJackSparrow View Post
So if they have not decided on whether or not there will be a monthly fee, why would they give a lifetime membership away? Obviously this means they have decied it to be a pay to play game.
"Pricing Plans" sounded like pay to play to me, and I pretty much expected it. If anything, I usually consider my subscription to an MMO I enjoy like a $15, monthly salute to the developers and staff behind the game. So, yeah, I'm crushed I didn't win, but that money's going towards the company running the game, and those 5 people are still lucky, in my book. X)

As for demos, it seems like all the recent MMOs offer varying "Trial Memberships", ranging from 1-2 weeks. Since this is an excellent way to get new customers/players into the game, I'd be utterly shocked if they don't follow this recent tradition.
Lt. Commander
# 133
08-31-2008, 05:00 AM
Gratz to he winners.. Now can we have a simular comp for us in Europe plz
Lt. Commander
# 134
08-31-2008, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsonic View Post
Am I the only one who remembers Jack saying that Cryptic always puts it's Forum users first. Seems to me they should have at least had a minimum post requirement to win. At least 10 or so, that way you know the winners are at least fans of the game and not just people looking for a hand out.

Cryptic really dropped the ball on this one. 1st time I lost a lil respect for my favorite game company.
1) I don't think this is even legal without making it a contest. It was a sweepstakes,which have different laws surrounding them.
2) Sore loser.
3) There are those of us who have normal lives, and simply lurk on the boards to see what the latest news is. Does this mean we shouldn't have a chance to win.
4) A posting requirement would have artificially inflated the board with even more meaningless posts.
5) Grats to the winners!
Lt. Commander
# 135
08-31-2008, 07:23 AM
Gratz to the winners...even tho it wasnt me...
Lt. Commander
# 136
08-31-2008, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Gratz to he winners.. Now can we have a simular comp for us in Europe plz
Yes, please
Lt. Commander
# 137
08-31-2008, 08:32 AM
It's just a shame, that everyone In Europe, the U.K and anywhere else Didn't even get a chance....

If A new competition Opens up for the same prize and subscription and it's only available users NOT in the U.S or Canada, then that will make up for it...

Still an incredibly unfair competition....
Lt. Commander
# 138
08-31-2008, 08:36 AM
Congrats all
Lt. Commander
# 139 lifetime subscription
08-31-2008, 08:52 AM
I would like to be the first in line to pay for a lifetime subscription :p
Lt. Commander
# 140
08-31-2008, 10:17 AM
BOOOO!!!! Just kidding grtaz to the big winners!