Career Officer
# 1 Sound of Interstellar Space
09-16-2013, 02:26 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3919983.html

...I think this is really cool, that exploration we are still doing today - will lay the groundwork for whatever follows. This is about as close to "Ex Astris Scientia" as we'll get...for now....
Just wanted to share with the people something cool....

[Mods - Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I didn't know where to put it]
Sound of Interstellar Space

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Captain
# 2
09-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Extreme Science~!
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 3
09-16-2013, 07:16 PM
This is kool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
Ensign
# 4
09-16-2013, 09:40 PM
For the first time, humankind has sent a voyager beyond the limits of our solar system. We sent out our fragile little robot probe out to listen for any hint of life beyond our own tiny sphere. The little probe listened and heard the sounds of vast and intractable interstellar space. What has the little probe found? Space has a sound... Space screams.
Captain
# 5
09-16-2013, 11:15 PM
But someone needs to tell Shatner that his character met Voyager 6, not Voyager 1.
Captain
# 6
09-17-2013, 01:25 AM
Some science report will come out saying that Voyager 1 has not encountered interstellar space yet due to some electromagnetic force. Maybe interstellar space is the point where the gravity from the center of the galaxy has more of an effect than the gravity from a star. As far as I know, Voyager doesn't have an instrument to measure gravity.
Career Officer
# 7
09-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Hey sweet! Some people care!....at least a little....

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Some science report will come out saying that Voyager 1 has not encountered interstellar space yet due to some electromagnetic force. Maybe interstellar space is the point where the gravity from the center of the galaxy has more of an effect than the gravity from a star. As far as I know, Voyager doesn't have an instrument to measure gravity.
...with regard to the above - there were other articles that basically said the same thing, where our solar system ends, and space begins is up for debate. Some people say the Ort Cloud, other say when the particles that arrive from "outside" are greater than the ones from Sol, etc. Those articles are really neat reads....but an interesting note is it would take Voyager One 40,000 years to reach Proxima Centauri - but after that amount of time it would no longer be our closest neighbor. How this pertains to this subject is - does the Sol System "end" when a neighboring star's gravity has greater influence than ours? The debate continues......
Sound of Interstellar Space

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.