Lt. Commander
Right now I'm running:

WinXP
Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 2.4GHz
3 GB RAM (DDR2) (But XP only sees like 2.5 or something)
NVIDIA Geforce 8800GT Core clock 650 MHz(1gb Memory)

I'm thinking of buying a new notebook because I do travel a decent amount...

Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Intel® Core™ processor i7-720QM 1.60 GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4830
8GM RAM (4 x 2048 MB DDR3)

The GFX card is worse on the laptop but it has MUCH more RAM and CPU speed. Anyone have any thoughts/comments? Should I wait a few months? I can get the notebook through work at a decent bargain. Though unless I get fired I could get a better one in a few months and just ride out my out of town time on my old ass no game running PoS =).
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-28-2010, 08:15 AM
^up .
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-28-2010, 08:26 AM
laptops are bad for gaming in general. If you want a good gaming one, you will have to reach DEEP into your pockets. Just get yourself some good desktop components and build one. It's cheaper than buying any laptop, and will be more powerful too.

Quote:
The GFX card is worse on the laptop but it has MUCH more RAM and CPU speed.

Go google the phrase "system bottleneck" then come back.

Lt. Commander
# 4
01-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
laptops are bad for gaming in general. If you want a good gaming one, you will have to reach DEEP into your pockets. Just get yourself some good desktop components and build one. It's cheaper than buying any laptop, and will be more powerful too.
The main reason I'm considering the laptop is because I'll be on the road a decent chunk and I personally find it hard to lug my big case around with me, I'd still like to play STO when I'm traveling since most places I travel I get internet access.

The PC I mentioned as the one I have is one I built myself, so I know it's cheaper / easier to do the desktop route, it's just not very practical given that my job's changed since I built that one three(ish) years ago.

I know the biggest bottleneck in my current system is windows XP. My system is starved for memory, mostly and while I have more DIMM sockets running XP is the culprit. So I could upgrade to windows7 and get more memory; but then my processor is still semi crappy for today's standards.

Sure the desktop could be "updated" real fast for ~400 bucks adding Win7 & some more ram, I could even slap a new Mobo/CPU in there for another ~400. But again, I'm not really sure if I want to do that if I'm gonna end up buying a laptop anyway because of my work situation.

I was mostly asking if anyone had any experience with a laptop like the one I mentioned =/.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Well it is true that your PC will likely outperform that notebook in some capacity (though it depends on how the Mobility Radeon HD 4830 compares with the desktop part), but if you're on the go a lot, then it's certainly not a bad GPU.

Something to consider is that the new Mobility Radeon HD 5000 are right around the corner. The 5730 is already shipping. If you waited just a little bit, more interesting options might become available.

I will say this much, you ARE right that having access to only a hair over 2GB of RAM from the 320bit OS is a system bottleneck, and one that will hit hard on some games. I've noticed an enormous improvement moving from 32-bit XP to 64-bit 7 on the new system I just build here (the XP install was a stop-gap and something to keep on my smaller drive for very old software). RAM doesn't particularly affect framerate, but it greatly affects "stutter".
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-28-2010, 09:35 AM
I'd have to say that i've had the best results using a macbook pro with windows on a bootcamp partition.

Far superior results in performance then any other laptop.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weasul View Post
I'd have to say that i've had the best results using a macbook pro with windows on a bootcamp partition.

Far superior results in performance then any other laptop.
I seriously hope, for the sake of my opinion of mankind, that you speak in jest :p

The best Macbook Pro GPU out there (the GPU in the machines that are $1999 and up) is an antiquited Geforce 9600M GT. As I noted in another thread, I can get a PC notebook that would match said $2000 Macbook Pro for $700 or under on Newegg, and that will surpass the performance of said Macbook Pro in nearly every regard for a little over $800 (This machine comes to mind, as its superior in every way saving having a CPU that's a paltry 100mhz slower, and currently comes with a $100 rebate making it only $750).

It scales the other way, too, because for $2000, I can get a notebook that's easily twice as powerful as said Macbook Pro, though battery life suffers greatly with higher-end hardware, particularly if you're talking about GPUs. Nevertheless, I think my point stands. Apple computers are presently sub-par machines hardware-wise, despite the steep price on them, unless you don't care about video, in which case they're average machines with ridiculously steep price tags.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-28-2010, 10:07 AM
The laptop in question is actually the HP Envy-15 my company bought about 150 of em preconfig'd and I'd be paying $900 for it which is pretty cheap. The video card they got preinstalled is my biggest gripe as this thread shows.

edit:spelling
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Mobility 4830 and desktop 8800GT are pretty similar.

Decent notebook. Good price.

If it matters more than an improved desktop then go for it imo.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-28-2010, 02:42 PM
I would agree with Galdere. If a desktop isn't what you're looking for, despite being more powerful, than that notebook is really pretty good.