Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
01-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
I would agree with Galdere. If a desktop isn't what you're looking for, despite being more powerful, than that notebook is really pretty good.

Yeah, I know. I just have issues carrying my Desktop around in airports ^_^.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
01-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by _bonius
Yeah, I know. I just have issues carrying my Desktop around in airports ^_^.
Hell, then, go for it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
01-28-2010, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
I seriously hope, for the sake of my opinion of mankind, that you speak in jest :p

The best Macbook Pro GPU out there (the GPU in the machines that are $1999 and up) is an antiquited Geforce 9600M GT. As I noted in another thread, I can get a PC notebook that would match said $2000 Macbook Pro for $700 or under on Newegg, and that will surpass the performance of said Macbook Pro in nearly every regard for a little over $800 (This machine comes to mind, as its superior in every way saving having a CPU that's a paltry 100mhz slower, and currently comes with a $100 rebate making it only $750).

It scales the other way, too, because for $2000, I can get a notebook that's easily twice as powerful as said Macbook Pro, though battery life suffers greatly with higher-end hardware, particularly if you're talking about GPUs. Nevertheless, I think my point stands. Apple computers are presently sub-par machines hardware-wise, despite the steep price on them, unless you don't care about video, in which case they're average machines with ridiculously steep price tags.
sure.. if your talking raw horse power and you don't care about anything else... Macs are definitely not much bang for the buck for gaming.... but they aren't meant to be.

but yes.. I agree that the currently laptops being sold for their price isn NOT a good deal. But thats just how Apple works the market. When they make a new design ... they sell it at a very good price, usually cheaper than the competition. They do not mind losing money. Cuz they know.. later on, like right now, they'll still be selling that same machine for the same price and making huge profit off of it. Its kinda ingenious.... thats why i only buy a new Macbook Pro when its a brand new machine out and its price comparable with the competition. Being the current line out is like 10 months old, at a 10 month old price, they are horrible deals... but in the next few weeks to a month, there should be new models out that will be good deals again... at least for a little while.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
01-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
sure.. if your talking raw horse power and you don't care about anything else... Macs are definitely not much bang for the buck for gaming.... but they aren't meant to be.

but yes.. I agree that the currently laptops being sold for their price isn NOT a good deal. But thats just how Apple works the market. When they make a new design ... they sell it at a very good price, usually cheaper than the competition. They do not mind losing money. Cuz they know.. later on, like right now, they'll still be selling that same machine for the same price and making huge profit off of it. Its kinda ingenious.... thats why i only buy a new Macbook Pro when its a brand new machine out and its price comparable with the competition. Being the current line out is like 10 months old, at a 10 month old price, they are horrible deals... but in the next few weeks to a month, there should be new models out that will be good deals again... at least for a little while.
Show me one Mac design that was "new" when it came out. Apple never releases anything new. They occasionally release configuration that are uselessly original in the sense that they *******ize server, desktop and workstation hardware to make their Mac Pros, but there's nothing even remotely new about it, just as there's nothing remotely "good" about the deals they offer for their hardware.

If you like purchasing Macs, then fine. It's not for me to tell you that that preference is wrong. That said, Apple is still always behind on hardware. Their "new" GPUs for desktops are Radeon HD 4870s and 4850s! Those are year plus old GPUs and Apple is JUST GETTING THEM put into their machines, and yes, they're charging an arm and a leg. What's "new" for Apple is almost ubiquitously yesterday's news on the PC platform, and that's because Apple's are just PCs, the difference being that they're not PCs meant for the performance crowd.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
01-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
laptops are bad for gaming in general. If you want a good gaming one, you will have to reach DEEP into your pockets. Just get yourself some good desktop components and build one. It's cheaper than buying any laptop, and will be more powerful too.




Go google the phrase "system bottleneck" then come back.





How deep do you consider DEEP?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+L...&skuId=9556072
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
01-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
Show me one Mac design that was "new" when it came out. Apple never releases anything new. They occasionally release configuration that are uselessly original in the sense that they *******ize server, desktop and workstation hardware to make their Mac Pros, but there's nothing even remotely new about it, just as there's nothing remotely "good" about the deals they offer for their hardware.

If you like purchasing Macs, then fine. It's not for me to tell you that that preference is wrong. That said, Apple is still always behind on hardware. Their "new" GPUs for desktops are Radeon HD 4870s and 4850s! Those are year plus old GPUs and Apple is JUST GETTING THEM put into their machines, and yes, they're charging an arm and a leg. What's "new" for Apple is almost ubiquitously yesterday's new on the PC platform, and that's because Apple's are just PCs, the difference being that they're not PCs meant for the performance crowd.
I hate Apple as much as anybody can, but they do get new stuff in the Mac Pro line oftentimes. Gulftown will first appear in a Mac Pro is the current Intel rumor, and not as the Extreme Edition Gulftown, but as the Xeon version. The also got Core Duo first as well. They occasionally get a good one off, but it's NEVER been for GPUs, only CPUs. I miss the PPC Mac days, I actually respected Apple then...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
01-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisane
This is also a good choice in the $1000 price range. The Mobility Radeon 5730 isn't as powerful as a GTX260M (it's a little faster than the GTS250M), but it also has a 26W TDP, so it's going to fit into more mobile machines.

Still, regardless of what tradeoffs you want to make for a notebook, you almost never have to pay an arm and a leg for something that's really quite good, at least if you shop well (BestBuy has miserable deals on most things, but notebooks and a few other consumer electronic devices are very cheap there).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
01-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_moshpit View Post
I hate Apple as much as anybody can, but they do get new stuff in the Mac Pro line oftentimes. Gulftown will first appear in a Mac Pro is the current Intel rumor, and not as the Extreme Edition Gulftown, but as the Xeon version. The also got Core Duo first as well. They occasionally get a good one off, but it's NEVER been for GPUs, only CPUs. I miss the PPC Mac days, I actually respected Apple then...
Looking back, I can think of an occasional instance where Apple was an early adopter of some piece of PC technology (with instances few and far between ), but even in those rare jewels of cases, they almost never offered particularly good pricing on that hardware.

It is true that there was something more to Apple when they used their own hardware, but as you note, those days are long gone Apple was once quite the pioneer in technology, but they've long-since traded function and competitive pricing for trendiness.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
01-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
Looking back, I can think of an occasional instance where Apple was an early adopter of some piece of PC technology (with instances few and far between ), but even in those rare jewels of cases, they almost never offered particularly good pricing on that hardware.
Absolutely true, and absolutely why I said what I said before. I hate Apple. With a glaring passion. I used to be very Mac friendly when they used PPC CPUs, because the air of superiority Mac users had was semi well deserved. PPC kicked ass and the only reason I didn't use a Mac myself is the lack of gaming. If I buy or own ANY bloody computer, the final rule is that it must do ANYTHING I ask of it, within reason. Media playback, encoding/decoding and content creation, web browsing and chatting, light and heavy gaming, office work, personal paper work management, ALL of the above, and sometimes several of the above at the same time!!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
01-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
Show me one Mac design that was "new" when it came out. Apple never releases anything new. They occasionally release configuration that are uselessly original in the sense that they *******ize server, desktop and workstation hardware to make their Mac Pros, but there's nothing even remotely new about it, just as there's nothing remotely "good" about the deals they offer for their hardware
you apparently have different tastes in computers than others. I never even worried about that point, because it makes absolutely no difference to me at all. If they release something that has something thats been in "PCs" for 6 months, it doesn't make me any difference.

And every time they release a new model in the last 4 years or so, its ALWAYS been a very good price for what hardware it is, when its released... but they just do not change the specs that often, and never change the price until they make a new revision. So most of the time people look at the prices they are a little high, to very high, in comparison. This doesn't matter to most computer users who don't have a clue what any of the specs even mean.... for the more tech savvy, its easy to get a good deal on an Apple if you watch closely and buy at the right times.

Even with the 13" MBP came out, tons of "PC" enthusiasts and hardware review places were all over it about how it was so awesome for a low price.... 6 months later its the same machine at the same price and all those same people are complaining how much apple overcharges and always rips people off... its short memory, or expecting Apple to price things the same as every other computer company, when they like doing their own thing. Its making them big profits... must be doing something right.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:16 PM.