Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 530
# 51
09-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
It hadn't really sunk in before, probably because from my POV it's not that remarkable, but...

Marcus, did you say that Alix's condition was similar to high-functioning autism, or Asperger's Syndrome? Because as an Aspie, that bit about having to memorize the "social niceties", nonsensical as they may seem sometimes, certainly rang true...
You're an Aspie, jonsills? So am I!!! And I, too, can relate to having to memorize "Social niceties"... I'm still trying to learn some of them!!
Originally KiraYamato before the Account Linking - True Join Date August 2008

"In the game of war, there are no clear rules you can follow." - Andrew Waltfeld
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,353
# 52
09-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
The ending did feel a little abrupt, to be honest. I'm not sure if the scenes themselves were too lean or if it was missing a sort of family reunion moment. (That might have been too cheesy...)
I figured that a reunion might've been a bit cheesy, but equally, I specifically wanted it to end at the moment when Marcus and Selek transition from simply being friends, to truly seeing each other as brothers. I did (and still do) wonder if there should maybe have been an additional scene to show T'Mell's investigation somehow... What do you think?


Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Good call. That scene was hilarious.
I remember reading about a cut scene from Voyage Home where a single piece of candy intoxicates Spock... After several bottles of MD, T'Reya would have been hammered


Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Asa Butterfield AKA Ender Wiggin as Young Marcus Kane is absolutely perfect.
And I love Marion Cotillard. She's such a wonderfully versatile actress. I want more of her.
Given the Vulcan lifespan, there is always a possibility of her appearing in the current timeframe... ^_^ (and equally, I have to admit, I loved writing Tuvok as a displeased commuter )
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,353
# 53
09-24-2013, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
It hadn't really sunk in before, probably because from my POV it's not that remarkable, but...

Marcus, did you say that Alix's condition was similar to high-functioning autism, or Asperger's Syndrome? Because as an Aspie, that bit about having to memorize the "social niceties", nonsensical as they may seem sometimes, certainly rang true...
Yes, she had to be resequenced from XY to XX, and as a result 'high-functioning autism' is probably the kindest way to describe her behaviour, which combines Lauren's obsessive/predatory sexuality, with Jack's psychopathic mood-swings (hence her flying off the handle when Marcus and Selek teased her) While writing, I did mentally wrestle with the idea that she knew that soda would get T'Reya drunk, and simply did so for her own amusement, but I eventually decided that she was simply trying to be nice, and was unaware of the result of feeding a Vulcan that much sugar The drunker T'Reya got, the more hyper Alix got to keep up...


Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
Jon's Post, supplemental: My roommate, who was once in the Navy, read that post about the nicknames and wanted to let me know that his old ship, the landing craft Belleau Wood (which was decommissioned at the same time as he was transferring to the Army), was more popularly known to the sailors aboard as the Ghetto Hood, because they carried Marines around.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
(As an ironical side-note, when he transferred into the Army, he wound up in the 4th Division, 2nd Brigade - a brigade which served with distinction at the Battle of Belleau Wood, and included a division of Marines.)
It's things like that, which make me think that if there is a higher power, they have a sense of humor

Last edited by marcusdkane; 09-25-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 138
# 54
09-25-2013, 01:42 AM
two things:

1: As I have pdd I find it more then a little interesting to see this form of creativity from aspies.

2: I've updated my story.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,353
# 55
09-25-2013, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rextorvan36 View Post
1: As I have pdd I find it more then a little interesting to see this form of creativity from aspies.
I'm not an Aspie, I just like the challenge of writing about characters with 'issues'


Quote:
Originally Posted by rextorvan36 View Post
2: I've updated my story.
Very nice Only one problem... It finishes too soon
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 530
# 56
09-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Very nice Only one problem... It finishes too soon
Probably because it's not quite done just yet. Am I right?
Originally KiraYamato before the Account Linking - True Join Date August 2008

"In the game of war, there are no clear rules you can follow." - Andrew Waltfeld
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,353
# 57
09-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi6 View Post
Probably because it's not quite done just yet. Am I right?
That makes sense Silly me

[edit to add] Your thoughts on my entry?

Last edited by marcusdkane; 09-25-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Commander
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 497
# 58
09-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi6 View Post
You're an Aspie, jonsills? So am I!!! And I, too, can relate to having to memorize "Social niceties"... I'm still trying to learn some of them!!
Egad, so am I! Funny, the number of aspies I've run into on this forum...

I'll get some reviews in soonish. I've been kinda busy this week. Rest assured, though, I am not sitting this one out.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 530
# 59
09-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
[edit to add] Your thoughts on my entry?
Not much to say that others haven't already, to be honest--good story, and didn't notice Alix's Aspy-like tendencies until jonsills mentioned them.

EDIT:


Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassadormolari View Post
Egad, so am I! Funny, the number of aspies I've run into on this forum...
Indeed...
Originally KiraYamato before the Account Linking - True Join Date August 2008

"In the game of war, there are no clear rules you can follow." - Andrew Waltfeld
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,353
# 60
09-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi6 View Post
Not much to say that others haven't already, to be honest--good story, and didn't notice Alix's Aspy-like tendencies until jonsills mentioned them.
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it To be fair, Alix was never as extreme as the DS-9 Augments, but she definitely would have offended people without intending to (and in some cases intended to but just not cared) Not severe enough to be institutionalised like Lauren, Jack and Patrick, but definitely not capable of passing a Starfleet psych evaluation (even if her genetics were to be ignored as lifesaving)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:48 AM.