Ensign
# 61
09-25-2013, 04:42 PM
The second and last part is up now! I found that one harder to write than the first bit, but I hope it still makes for an entertaining read

Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
@jonnaroslyn - very nice. The character portraits are a good idea, but I found the links to be a bit distracting, especially once the story got rolling. Perhaps next time, put a crew list here in the discussion thread and cross-link to your story.
Thanks for letting me know! I thought it would be a practical thing to do, but I can see how it can distract from the text. I've kept it for now, for consistency's sake, but I'll think of something different for next time!
Republic Veteran
# 62
09-26-2013, 01:12 AM
Just posted my first attempt at one of the Literary Challenges. Hopefully people will find it as entertaining to read as it was writing it.

Also, Is there some tip or trick to posting a LC where every ", ', and - (which are fine in preview mode) doesn't become a ? upon submission and I have to do a number of edits to fix them? I'm reasonably sure I've got them all, but probably missed a couple.
Lt. Commander
# 63
09-26-2013, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drajora View Post
Just posted my first attempt at one of the Literary Challenges. Hopefully people will find it as entertaining to read as it was writing it.

Also, Is there some tip or trick to posting a LC where every ", ', and - (which are fine in preview mode) doesn't become a ? upon submission and I have to do a number of edits to fix them? I'm reasonably sure I've got them all, but probably missed a couple.
unfortunately no, I use libreoffice, I see the same and I'm forced to edit nearly everytime.
Career Officer
# 64
09-26-2013, 06:24 AM
Can you paste it into Notepad and re-copy it before pasting it here? Just an idea.
Vice Admiral Aznia Deet, Federation Ambassador, U.S.S. Federalist
Captain
# 65
09-26-2013, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azniadeet View Post
Can you paste it into Notepad and re-copy it before pasting it here? Just an idea.
Doesn't work. I tried that on my first one, it still came up as ? on the forum. The only way to do it is to write it either in the forum reply box, or in notepad. That's what I do. Then copy it into word for spell checking. Of course, this could then let the odd ? slip through if you edit something, unless you remember to go and fix that in the wordpad version, but copying the wordpad/notepad version is the best way to do it.

It also doesn't work posting on another forum where it goes up fine, and then copy the text off that website onto this one.

And since I'm replying, you can all expect my entry sometime tonight once I've proofread it. Didn't quite take the direction I intended, but that's what happens.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Career Officer
# 66
09-26-2013, 07:36 AM
Try saving the document as US-ASCII, with character substitution enabled. Then close and re-open the file and try copying it again.
Vice Admiral Aznia Deet, Federation Ambassador, U.S.S. Federalist
Captain
# 67
09-26-2013, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnaroslyn View Post
The second and last part is up now! I found that one harder to write than the first bit, but I hope it still makes for an entertaining read
Really nice conclusion, I enjoyed it more than Part I, and glad to see that there was a hearing afterwards as well
Captain
# 68
09-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drajora View Post
Thoroughly enjoyed it Fantastic to see history from the Romulan perspective The one bit that jarred, was the reference to Nero, who was only a mining captain, probably not even know to the upper echelons of Romulan Command, but other than that, top stuff indeed
Captain
# 69
09-26-2013, 12:23 PM
There's my entry. It can be part of one of 3 LC's, though it's probably best to just go for Freestyle. It carried on directly from the last one with no lapse of time beyond a few minutes.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Captain
# 70
09-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grylak View Post
There's my entry. It can be part of one of 3 LC's, though it's probably best to just go for Freestyle. It carried on directly from the last one with no lapse of time beyond a few minutes.
Excellent descriptions, Grylak, particularly of the crash sequence.

One nitpick, stylistically - when Emony tries to get up, you have one too many "in pain"s in that sentence. "...screaming as pain shot through her entire leg" would, I think, be sufficient. (She's certainly not screaming with grief, or glee, at that moment... )
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts