Captain
# 1 Season 8 and Maps?
09-18-2013, 03:30 AM
Devs, what are the chances we could see some new PvP maps in Season 8?

As you can see in this thread, we've been told we'll be getting new maps (let alone all the new tech and gametypes that was talked about) for over 3 years now.

In this thread, there's a lot of comments (including a bunch from the Big Man dstahl himself) that we'll be getting new maps, tech, gametypes, and those Leaderboards we were told were "in testing and to be released soon" in July of 2010.

Nothing concrete has been said yet about the new maps or anything else. Any chance we could get some sort of confirmation, or details about what's coming?

Heck, we're not even asking for much - slapping spawn points on existing maps would be a welcome addition. Vault/Atmosphere Assault, for example, would make for awesome shuttle based maps. Fleet vs Fleet Starbase Defend/Assault would give the Fleet system a reason to exist beyond just being a resource sink.
The first we heard of getting new PvP maps "soon" was in August of 2010. We're consistently told something will be coming with the "next" update. Absolutely nothing has come to PvP since launch.

I think it's finally time Cryptic stopped stringing us along, don't you?
Rihannsu
# 2
09-18-2013, 03:34 AM
I'm 99% certain Geko said no pvp in season 8 on a podcast (might have been at star trek las vegas convention).

No idea when any is coming. maybe next year if we are lucky but i kind of think they have given up on it.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 3
09-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
I'm 99% certain Geko said no pvp in season 8 on a podcast (might have been at star trek las vegas convention).

No idea when any is coming. maybe next year if we are lucky but i kind of think they have given up on it.
if thats the case,

id like the proof.

then id like the proof of them saying "next season will be the season of pvp"

so then we can laugh and laugh and laugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Commander
# 4
09-18-2013, 02:42 PM
It will simply never happen.

the best content we will get is new doffs, traits, lockbox ships and the corresponding toys that come with it.
Commander
# 5
09-18-2013, 03:21 PM
My suggestion for a large request (as opposed to a bug fix, broken mechanic) like this, we need to pursue alternate means of communication. My observation: these well meaning posts which come up every week are not getting us anywhere. Pointing out that you've been lied to and strung along repeatedly also doesn't help our cause although I understand the frustration. Or maybe I don't because I haven't been around long enough. But still.
Dstahl and CaptainGeko both have twitter accounts as does STO. PWE can be contacted. Cryptic can be contacted directly. Mail them a letter. Old school style. I dunno, let's come up with ideas on other ways to get what we want.
Career Officer
# 6
09-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panserbjorne39 View Post
My suggestion for a large request (as opposed to a bug fix, broken mechanic) like this, we need to pursue alternate means of communication. My observation: these well meaning posts which come up every week are not getting us anywhere. Pointing out that you've been lied to and strung along repeatedly also doesn't help our cause although I understand the frustration. Or maybe I don't because I haven't been around long enough. But still.
Dstahl and CaptainGeko both have twitter accounts as does STO. PWE can be contacted. Cryptic can be contacted directly. Mail them a letter. Old school style. I dunno, let's come up with ideas on other ways to get what we want.
Join the queue, there are bugs and content still pending. Maps are a bit low on his list.

What would be useful is community maps and the ability to use them, why not fight outside unimatrix 0 or the Klingon Homeworld
Now found frequenting MWO short term and then Star Citizen long term. Raged Quit long ago
- Gohan (House of Beautiful /Sad Pandas)
/channel_join Tyler Durden for Organised Balanced PVP matches
Lieutenant
# 7
09-18-2013, 03:42 PM
How long does it take to create a new map? 1hour? 2hour?
Commander
# 8
09-18-2013, 03:49 PM
1000 hours, honestly because they simple cannot just make a new map, it all seems to be hard coded into the system, it was never ment to be upgradable in an easy way and they knew it.

Dont fool yourself.

The only reason they put some pvp in the fight place it to attract the widest possible audience, they knew from the start and decided they will never expand PvP what so ever because the playerbase simply isnt suited for it.

Lets keep on captain kirking

Last edited by masterkeychnk5; 09-18-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Captain
# 9
09-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rast1qq View Post
How long does it take to create a new map? 1hour? 2hour?
it took them 3 years to "fix" kerrat, and that was done by a guy in his "spare" time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Captain
# 10
09-19-2013, 04:01 AM
Instead of flat out ignoring us or giving us the (up to now) false hopes of "soon", I'd much rather have one of them say, "Ok, we're not giving you guys anything until XXX date. Then maybe, if we have time, we'll see if we can do something."

They're probably afraid of losing players, but come on... we've stuck around for this long, we're in it for the long haul.
The first we heard of getting new PvP maps "soon" was in August of 2010. We're consistently told something will be coming with the "next" update. Absolutely nothing has come to PvP since launch.

I think it's finally time Cryptic stopped stringing us along, don't you?