Captain
# 51
09-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
Then bat'leths should be useless. They're not. Why is that?

Klingon Grumbah!
Commander
# 52
09-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Melee weapons should be useless. The whole premise is based on a plot hole.

Still, you should aim for the head, as they may be wearing bullet proof vests.
Captain
# 53
09-21-2013, 02:36 PM
I seem to recall Worf proceeding to beating Borg drones to death in that clip I linked to.
Rihannsu
# 54
09-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Yeah, Data did that several times too, and I believe various other characters have successfully engaged Borg in unarmed combat. They've never shown any ability to stop people/things hitting them, short of holding a less important appendage in the way.

Since we have no evidence to suggest they can adapt to physical impacts (e.g. hands, swords, bullets) and some evidence to suggest they can not, the only logically is that it'd work.

But you can't sound high-and-mighty when your solution is to whip out a .375 magnum and empty it into somebodies face...
# 55
09-21-2013, 03:05 PM
There are lots of ways to skin a borg.[/quote]

I always figured bomb them from orbit with tricobalt torps and fly away..
Survivor of Romulus
# 56
09-21-2013, 03:27 PM
But the Omega Auto Carbine is designed specifically to combat the Borg, as are the the entire set for that matter AFAIK.

Would it not make sense for a weapon designed to combat the Borg in particular, as the Auto Carbine is, have a built in rotating frequency modulator??

Never made much sense to me to make a weapon to fight the Borg, and then have it be nearly useless against what it was designed for in the first place...
Rihannsu
# 57
09-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
But the Omega Auto Carbine is designed specifically to combat the Borg, as are the the entire set for that matter AFAIK.

Would it not make sense for a weapon designed to combat the Borg in particular, as the Auto Carbine is, have a built in rotating frequency modulator??

Never made much sense to me to make a weapon to fight the Borg, and then have it be nearly useless against what it was designed for in the first place...
Yeah, I never figured that one out. they did give you the very quick remodulation... that allows you to fire for 2 seconds every 10!!
# 58
09-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superiorterran View Post
It helps if you're a tac officer with the melee kit; Lunge and motion accelerator can cut down a tactical drone like butter. If you know all the combos, it's a very effective expose and exploit weapon in one, with aoe damage as well.
For sci, I love the trick of using medical nanites on yourself, then engaging the Borg up close.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 59
09-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Get yourself a good melee weapon because the borg can not adapt to them...
Captain
# 60
09-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by similon View Post
Yeah, Data did that several times too, and I believe various other characters have successfully engaged Borg in unarmed combat. They've never shown any ability to stop people/things hitting them, short of holding a less important appendage in the way.
Data barehanded, Undine with claws, Worf with a bat'leth, Picard with a holographic M1928 Thompson. In all cases, purely kinetic-energy based weapons (the force field holding the hologram together in the last case). That's just the live-action examples I can think of off the top of my head.

Quote:
Since we have no evidence to suggest they can adapt to physical impacts (e.g. hands, swords, bullets) and some evidence to suggest they can not, the only logically is that it'd work.
As I noted, the biggest evidence to suggest they can't is the fact that they haven't done so already. I wouldn't want to play the odds that they have literally never encountered a civilization still in the chemical propellant firearms stage of weapons development.

Quote:
But you can't sound high-and-mighty when your solution is to whip out a .375 magnum and empty it into somebodies face...
And whipping out a revolver to solve a problem is different from whipping out a phaser, how, exactly? I notice that tends to be plan A for the Federation these days.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer