Rihannsu
Last night I did some power testing. I played around with Plasmonic Leech just to see how it worked "in reality" (specifically to find out how many stacks it could achieve) and also tried to determine what, if any, benefit there was to "overcapping" my weapons power. Here are the results of that testing:

Relevant Build Info:
My captain has the Warp Theorist Trait and one Efficent BO.

Effective Skills Amounts:
Starship Warp Core Efficiency: 122.7
Starship Warp Core Potential: 109
Starship Engine Performance: 54
Starship Shield Performance: 99
Starship Auxiliary Performance: 54
Starship Weapon Performance: 54
Starship Flow Capacitors: 172
Starship Electro-Plasma System: 94 (PTR is 194% (9.7/s))

Ship:
Klingon Peghqu' (tests performed in Tactical Mode (+15 WPwr))

Warp Core:
Field Stabilizing Mk XI [Eff] [E->S]

Plasmonic Leech:
Based on weapons tooltip, the Leech is providing +2.7 power. I could not find any in-game description defining max stacks, but from previous use I know it does stack. Forum discussions lead me to believe the Leech stacks up to 8.

Base Power Levels:
125/100
61/25
66/50
47/25

Testing Location and Procedure:
I was running the Tau Dewa Sector Patrol (Daily), and testing in the Beta Thoridor System against various Rival Klingon ships. Normal Difficulty. For each test, I would only have the listed weapon in place (other weapon slots were empty). I would target an enemy, begin shooting and continue to do so via autofire. Unless otherwise stated, no Captain/BO abilities were used. During Turret-only tests, my ship would be kept stationary (only moving if necessary to acquire another target, then I'd stop again). When using DHC, I would move as little as possible to keep a target in my firing arc/all weapons firing, and I had an assistant watching the power levels as I piloted. All tests started with no Leech stacks.

Test 1: Plasmonic Leech - Single Turret
Observation:
About three seconds after firing, I received a Plasmonic Leech tag. The tag displays what appears to be a countdown timer, as opposed to a stack count. The tag started at 15 and would go down each second from there. As the weapon fired, the stack would continually refresh back to 15, occasionally dropping down to 12 between cycles, but generally staying above 13.

After about 8-10s my power levels had increased up to the following:

125/100 (Result: Unknown, due to cap)
85/25 (Result: +24)
88/50 (Result: +22)
69/25 (Result: +22)

If we assume the +2.7 amount listed on my tooltip has a hidden decimal place and is actually 2.75, then we get a perfect 8-stack on engine and aux power (22/2.75=8). The shield power increasing +24 doesn't match up evenly as 8 stacks, but that's because I get an additional +2.2 power from the [E->S] tag on my Warp Core when the engine power goes up +22.

There was some slight variation in the shield, engine, and aux power levels between firing cycles. The power would drop 1-3 points from the boosted numbers above (for example aux might drop as low as 66). This would happen even if the Leech tag still had time on it. It was intermittent, but seemed to happen while the weapon was firing. Most times the full buffs listed above would remain. At times when all enemies were killed, firing stopped, the full buffs remained in effect for 15 seconds, until the Leech tag went away, then power would gradually reduce to base levels.

Tests 2: Plasmonic Leech - 3x Turrets
Observation:
Results were the same as Test 1, above, but the slight power variations seemed to happen less frequently the more weapons I had firing. With full weapons load, the power stayed buffed nearly the whole time the Leech tag was present.

Tests 3: Plasmonic Leech - 4x DHC & 3x Turrets
Observation:
Results were the same as Test 1, above, but the slight power variations seemed to happen less frequently the more weapons I had firing. With full weapons load, the power stayed buffed nearly the whole time the Leech tag was present.

Test 4: Weapon Power Overcap - 3x Turrets
Note that my ship's weapons power baseline is 125/100, and turrets reduce power levels by -8 for each additional weapon firing. I did have Plasmonic Leech in effect during this test.
Observation:
Power levels dropped from 125 down to 109 during each firing cycle. The drop did not go directly from 125 to 109, there seemed to be "steps" where very quickly (over about 1s) the display would flash through 1-3 numbers (like 119, 114, and 111), before reaching the 109. The actual number of steps, and which numbers were displayed, varied. Except for the constant being from 125 to 109 in about 1 second (a firing cycle), there was no apparent pattern to these steps.

With 3x Turrets firing, seeing weapon power drop to 109 is expected as two are applying a combined weapon's drain of -16. 125-16=109.

In theory, once Leech got going (the tag was visible, and other systems were buffed +22/24 as described above), there should have been a +22 power in place buffing my weapons power to an "overcapped" 147/100. There was no apparent effect, power still dropped to 109.

At various points during the test I tried using a Weapons Battery (+75 weapon power) and Red Matter Capacitor (+25 all power), to no apparent effect, power still dropped to 109 as described above.

Test 5: Weapon Power Overcap - 4x DHC & 3x Turrets
Note that my ship's weapons power baseline is 125/100. DHC reduce power levels by -12, and turrets reduce power levels by -8 for each additional weapon firing. Because I had to pilot my craft to keep enemies within the DHC's firing arc, I could only take quick glances at weapons power, so I was assisted by my girlfriend in monitoring the changes. She was directed to focus on the weapon power display and call out numbers as we tested. I did have Plasmonic Leech in effect during this test.
Observation:
Power levels dropped from 125 down to 65 during each firing cycle. As above, drop did not go directly from 125 to 65, there were similar 1-3 steps that varied tremendously between the high and low with no apparent pattern. Power always returned to 125 between cycles.

Strangely, over the hundreds of firing cycles we observed, it was noticed four times that power dropped to 62.

After the first DHC, the other 3x DHC would apply -36 weapon power, with the -24 from the 3x Turrets, gives a combined -60 weapons power. 125-60=65. So this is expected. The reason for the odd drops to 62 is unknown. I wonder (theorize) if it might have something to do with a previous firing cycle overstepping into a new cycle before fully restoring power in between.

As with the other overcapping test, Leech was in use, but the +22 power it should theoretically be supplying was not visible. Neither were their noticeable differences when using a Weapons Battery or Red Matter Capacitor.

Towards this end of this test, I activated the BO Ability: Cannon Scatter Volley I. Despite spitting out additional blips of death fanned out to hit multiple targets, this had no apparent affect on power. In other words, when CSV was in use, power behaved as described above, exactly as it behaved when CSV was not active.

Test 6: Weapon Power Overcap - Balanced Power - 4x DHC & 3x Turrets
This test was performed as Test 5 (including using my beautiful assistant ), but instead of starting with 125/100 power, I set my ship to Balanced, meaning I had 81/50 base power.
Observation:
Power levels fluxuated dramatically. On the first shot power dropped to 28, but then we got a Leech flag and power jumped up to about 84. Upon each successive firing cycle, we watch the power go up to 87, 90, 92, on up to a top power of 103-108. The low end typically falling to about 35, still occasionally dropping to 28.

With -60 combined drain from the weapons, starting at 81 I'd've expected a drop to 21, not 28. And even as Leech kicked-in, there should have been a +22 from 8 Leech stacks, power should have peaked at 103. I don't know why it repeatedly spiked to 108 (about half the time). Likewise 103-60 is 43 (108-60 is 48), but the bottom end ranged anywhere from 28-40.

When Weapons Battery was used, power climbed to 125/50 and we saw results as in Test 5 (dropping from 125 to 65) during the duration. When Red Matter Capacitor was used the spike increased to 125, but the low end wavered between 55-65.

I do not have any theory that fully explains why these numbers don't add-up as cleanly as the other tests taken at cap. Further testing will be required.

Plasmonic Leech Conclusion
Plasmonic Leech seems to work as you'd expect. You fire weapons, after a few seconds it gives you a buff to all your subsystems as displayed on your weapons tool tip. No matter how many weapons you have, it still takes about a dozen seconds to get to maximum buff, which is 8 stacks.

Weapon Overcapping Conclusion
Based on the above tests, the 125 weapon power limit is indeed a hard cap. Even when there are resources allocated that "should" be pushing the subsystem above 125, there is no apparent benefit.

Edit to Add: There's no apparent benefit when using Cannon. Posts below suggest Overcapping helps with Beams. I'll have to test that as well.

Thanks for dropping by. I welcome your thoughts/discussion.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.

Last edited by lordhavelock; 09-20-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Captain
# 2
09-20-2013, 03:22 PM
The drain is easy to figure out. It's 1 + 0.01*FC per activation. So ye, two decimal places.
Captain
# 3
09-20-2013, 03:37 PM
I havnt had any benifit from overcapping weapons power either but the leech is still good to use because it adds the power across the board. stronger shields, increased performance from engines, science powers are stronger.

What you really set out to prove it looks like is the leech on a DHC/turret build is minimal benifit.
"I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhavelock View Post
..The shield power increasing +24 doesn't match up evenly as 8 stacks, but I did run this test several time and always got to 85/25 shield power. I can not explain why shield power got an additional +2..
maybe thats your e->s warpcore?
Captain
# 5
09-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Be careful testing with inspirational leader. It throws stuff off.
Career Officer
# 6
09-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucho80 View Post
Be careful testing with inspirational leader. It throws stuff off.
EPS Manifold Efficiency can play tricks on you too.
Captain
# 7
09-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Test with beams. I seem to lose less power with those
Captain
# 8
09-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusmorologus View Post
Test with beams. I seem to lose less power with those
Cannons do seem to have a hard cap but many people say otherwise regarding beams...what's your take havelock?
Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
Captain
# 9
09-20-2013, 05:26 PM
The shield power going to +24 is the warp core's doing since the engine power level is feeding into the shield. The guessed flow caps should be at 175 in order to get the drain in the test. If you want a google docs table I made I can PM a link to you. The only drain I haven't tested in this game is the Tyken's Rift one. I also know what the target's Power insulator effect as a formula is, but only for energy siphon, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same for all drains since it's a simple negative exponential.

Last edited by lucho80; 09-20-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Captain
# 10
09-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Why weapon power overcap work on beams but not DHCs and barely effects other cannons

When you fire a beam it takes four shots over a 5 second cycle. If we fire two beams (A & B) they would fire at the following power levels when starting at 125.

A first shot @ 125 power
B first shot @ 115 power
A second shot @ 115 power
B second shot @ 115 power
and so on for the third and forth shots.

DHCs however only fire a single shot per cycle. So they are quite obvious.

Standard cannons fire two shots per cycle. Say two turrets (A & B) once again starting at 125 power.

A first shot @ 125 power
B first shot @ 117 power
A second shot @ 117 power
B second shot @ 117 power

When we overcap our weapon subsystem power it flows back into the system during the firing cycle between shots. So going with beams A & B once again we would instead get the following when starting at 125 power overcapped to say 135.

A first shot @ 125 power
B first shot @ 115 power
A second shot @ 125 power
B second shot @ 115 power
and so on for shot three and four.

Easiest way to see this is to use varied weapon types of the same mark and parse an extended shoot at an unmoving target. EPS rating might have some effect on this, effect, but I have yet to bother testing it.