Captain
# 11
09-22-2013, 11:20 PM
Looks like there IS a point in making a drain build!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Captain
# 12
09-23-2013, 07:58 AM
Not sure if there is some bug out there the devs haven't spotted with drains, but some seem to drain more (than the tooltip says) versus others using my sci toon, and I haven't been able to pinpoint why.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
That's sounds a bit on the ridiculous side.

Even if all of those systems are set to 100, and you have 50% resistance to drain, 3 seconds would mean Tyken's 3 is draining 50 x 4 subsystem power every second for a total of -200 power per target per second.

x3 Targets? -600 power per second.
last i checked, in TNG, tykens rifts are suppose to drain all the power

looks like cryptic finally got one right from the series
Career Officer
# 14
09-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by papertoasty View Post
last i checked, in TNG, tykens rifts are suppose to drain all the power

looks like cryptic finally got one right from the series
1) That was a naturally formed anomaly, not one projected by a ship.

2) If you think it should be like in the shows, then it should drain any ship near it - friend or foe.

3) This is still a game, and game's require balanced mechanics. Do we really need 5x Tyken's rifts on either side of the field? People have always hated all drain teams, and this looks to be taking the worst their is available and giving it new fuel.

Rihannsu
# 15
09-23-2013, 11:54 AM
As much as I want to see sci powers be feared again, this iteration of Tyken's is excessive. I am afraid if it's not toned down, it'll be fuel for another round of science nerfs. Perhaps, instead of both flow cap skill and aux power increasing the drain, we have skill points boost the drain magnitude and aux power boost the duration of the rift (similar to how Energy Siphon operates now)?
Captain
# 16
09-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreeves7a View Post
As much as I want to see sci powers be feared again, this iteration of Tyken's is excessive. I am afraid if it's not toned down, it'll be fuel for another round of science nerfs. Perhaps, instead of both flow cap skill and aux power increasing the drain, we have skill points boost the drain magnitude and aux power boost the duration of the rift (similar to how Energy Siphon operates now)?
The existing version of Tyken's Rift I in its current state is a joke. It's supposed to suck x power each second kind of like the plasmonic leech console. I used it on myself in Holodeck. My power level just went down from 125 to 115 and back every second which is pathetic.

Quote:
1) That was a naturally formed anomaly, not one projected by a ship.

2) If you think it should be like in the shows, then it should drain any ship near it - friend or foe.

3) This is still a game, and game's require balanced mechanics. Do we really need 5x Tyken's rifts on either side of the field? People have always hated all drain teams, and this looks to be taking the worst their is available and giving it new fuel.
Nothing wrong with making sci skills useful again and leveling off the playing field again. With all the tac DPS heavy DHC builds and A2B FAW cruisers, it's a welcome change.

Last edited by lucho80; 09-23-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Captain
# 17
09-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Quote:
That's sounds a bit on the ridiculous side.

Even if all of those systems are set to 100, and you have 50% resistance to drain, 3 seconds would mean Tyken's 3 is draining 50 x 4 subsystem power every second for a total of -200 power per target per second.

x3 Targets? -600 power per second.

Are you sure those numbers are accurate?
Has anyone checked to see if Insulators is in fact working vs the new TR?
Empire Veteran
# 18
09-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Has anyone checked to see if Insulators is in fact working vs the new TR?
A fine question to ask. That needs to be taken into account FIRST before anything else. If it's discovered Tyken's is ignoring PI, then any potential 'overpowereness' have to take that into consideration.

I do agree that Tyken's should be actually useful and be a threat in both PvE and PvP, but there is such a thing as 'too good'.

Though with all the giant resists NPCs seem to have against most science stuff, it kinda says a lot about how messed up balance is, even PvE-wise.

Cryptic Studios Team
# 19
09-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Thank you for the feedback!

In a previous post discussing these upcoming changes, I expressed my fear that adding the appropriate skill/aux modifiers to this power may cause it to scale too aggressively. I'm relieved to hear the bulk of players agree.

As such, I've just checked in a series of changes to rebalance the output of Tyken's Rift.

1) The base value of the periodic power drain has been increased by approximately 50%, but the bonus from Aux Power has been decreased to less than half of its prior potential

** For a player with 25 Aux Power and no Flow Capacitor skill, the power drain increases in potency by about 80%
** For a player with 125 Aux Power and 100+ Flow Capacitor skill, the power drain decreases in potency by about 25-30%

2) The base kinetic damage dealt by this power has been increased by about 35%. The modifiers that increase this damage remain unchanged.

** While damage has never been the primary purpose of Tyken's Rift, we thought it appropriate to increase what little the power possesses, in hopes to mollify players that may be upset with losing some of their high-end drain potential.

I'm not sure when these changes will make their way to Tribble (or Redshirt), so please keep your eyes open.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Captain
# 20
09-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Nothing to say about the Gravity Well "rebalancing" (nerf) feedback?