Captain
# 1 Gravity Well Feedback Thread
09-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Not a cryptic-made thread, but lets keep track of the changes in this thread.

If possible, please post:
PvP or PvE test
Damage per tick
-Repel Effectiveness
Skill in Particles and Gravitons (if you're the attacker)
Skill in Inertial Dampeners (if you're the target)
Captain
# 2
09-21-2013, 07:26 PM
You can't tell me that no one is testing this.....

I would if cryptic had used my suggestion for TRIBBLE.
Captain
# 3
09-22-2013, 05:18 AM
Testing Parameters
- Test of Mettle KDF story mission
- House of Torg Cruiser enemy
- Gravity Well 3
- Aux 130
- Particle Generators 174
- B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit

No special doffs or anything else.

Holodeck tooltip: 1440.3 kinetic/sec
Holodeck observed results: 936.61 DPS/17,983 total damage dealt
[Combat (Self)] Your Gravity Well III deals 901 Kinetic Damage to House of Torg Cruiser.
http://i.imgur.com/Ap1O5QK.jpg

Tribble tooltip: At aux 130 1202.3 kinetic/sec
Tribble observed results: 1083.47 DPS/21,286 total damage dealt
[Combat (Self)] Your Gravity Well III deals 1220 Kinetic Damage to House of Torg Cruiser.
http://i.imgur.com/dcxghsr.jpg

Analysis:
This does not appear like a nerf. The damage has increased by about 10% at aux power 130 with 174 particle generators. The change is underwhelming, however. Was able to reproduce the same results three different times (included screens of only one of each test for brevity). The tooltip on Tribble is accurate more or less, but the one on Holodeck is way off.

I recommend the developers consider increasing the damage another 30-50% due to the fact the ability has a long cooldown. It isnt like you can just keep spamming it, cannon scatter volley 3 (commander tactical) parses out at over 2500 sustained DPS with a good build.

As it stands, gravity well 3 over time will only do about 300 DPS. This is about 1/8th of the damage output of a comparable tactical commander bridge officer ability. If I had been a tactical captain using CSV3 on that same MOB, I would have done over 50,000 damage to it in the same 20 second span (if not more).

This is one of the major issues with science abilities. They just cannot compare. Please consider these results and recommendations, development.

Everything is OP, plz nerf
Fleet Admiral Rylana - U.S.S. DNT Omega X
=== Vice Squad/House of Tlhap-Jen ===
Lieutenant
# 4
09-23-2013, 06:06 AM
Testing Parameters
- Ker'rat
- Borg Sphere
- Gravity Well I
- Aux 117
- Particle Generators 99
- B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit
No Doffs that affect Grav Well
Attack Pattern AlphaIII, Attack Pattern OmegaIII, Fire on My Mark III and Tactical Fleet III, 15% all damage from cloak active

Damage: 35901 total damage with an average tick of 1500

Same parameters, no APA,APO,FoMM or TF, but cloaked

Damage: 15023 total damage with an average tick of 950.
Tooltip states 550,6 damage per second.

Second test
-Ker'rat
-Borg Sphere
- Grav Well III
- Aux 125
- Part Gen 99
- Wells class temporal science vessel
No doffs
No buffs.

Total damage: 15438 with an averge tick of 900

Same parameters, this time with Sensor Scan III

30113 total damage with the averga tick of 2000

On Holodeck with the B'Rel, same parameters otherwise.
With Full buffs total damage: 27319
Without buffs outside of the cloak: 13148

What does this prove? Not much. Outside that the buff to Grav Well serves Tacs better than Sci. After all, a GW1 fully buffed by Tac abilities outstrips GW3 with Sci-buffs... *facepalm*

GJ Cryptic.
Captain
# 5
09-23-2013, 10:12 AM
No, thank Borticus. Apparently, GW3 was too OP if it could destroy FRIGATES, thus we got what he called a "rebalance", but in all actuality, its a massive nerf to it's potential damage. The devs are too scared to give Science powers any teeth.
Captain
# 6
09-23-2013, 11:35 AM
What about -Repel Effectiveness? Can it actually stop a EPtE Borg Sphere now? The encounters at Gamma Orionis have Spheres with EPtE if a Gold would like to test this.
Captain
# 7
09-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Bort claims to be reading this thread and analyzing the results.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 8
09-23-2013, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burstdragon323 View Post
Bort claims to be reading this thread and analyzing the results.
And so far there have been a grand total of two players that have posted their results in two different testing scenarios, both with very different results (one saw an increase to baseline, the other was all over the place with Tac Buff analysis). If this gives you the impression that it's early enough to draw conclusions, then you are grossly mistaken.

So please, don't spam the thread. Your feedback is being heard.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Captain
# 9
09-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic
And so far there have been a grand total of two players that have posted their results in two different testing scenarios, both with very different results (one saw an increase to baseline, the other was all over the place with Tac Buff analysis). If this gives you the impression that it's early enough to draw conclusions, then you are grossly mistaken.
There are so few because for some reason you guys decided that TRIBBLE needed to be GOLD ONLY, therefore a HUGE chunk of the playerbase is barred (myself included, 2 year science powers veteran) from testing these changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic
How can I spam a thread that I started?
Captain
# 10
09-23-2013, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post

Dear dev:

Many more of us would love to test this before this makes it into prod, unfortunately only people with access to Tribble can. I'll be out for two weeks so now I guess I'll just have to see what makes it to Holodeck and complain then.

On another note, good job with Tyken's Rift from what I've read, the combination of working drain and damage seems to be deadly. As far as Gravity Well goes, the fact that using tac buffs to hike up the damage is better than investing in science skills sucks as far as fairness and balance goes.

Last edited by lucho80; 09-23-2013 at 07:45 PM.