Lt. Commander
# 121 beta & beyond
01-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks for your note! Beta was awesome, and I'm looking forward to using those extra slots & playable Borg, too!
Lt. Commander
# 122
01-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlor View Post
As far as future content, I hope you plan on some sandbox action, would do wonders in My opinion for long term playability.
Yup, in fact it is a must imo.

More Box!
Lt. Commander
# 123
01-27-2010, 10:18 PM
With the great job they have done on some of the episodes so far I'm sure there will be plenty of new varied encounters eventually in Genesis, certainly things like suns going super nova could be done as a generic cutscene (would make timed missions very viable), I personally would like to see a BOP decloak (like the end of ST IV) on a ground mission
Lt. Commander
# 124
01-27-2010, 10:20 PM
And the skill cap is still a huge problem for me.

I hate having to roll alts, what a waste of gd time.

There are other ways to over come the problem they gave for the skills cap, which is a problem they created by not thinking their dumb advancing system through.

For example, they could simply allow advancement in levels based on skill points spent after the level cap was increased. There, problem solved and still no skill cap. (if you will recall they said the main problem was since their advancement was based on spending skill points, if people continued to spend skill points at the lvl cap, when the cap was raised a player could automatically be at the new lvl cap since they might have spent enough points already.)
Lt. Commander
# 125
01-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chovesh View Post
The reaons having huge battles is a bad idea that wouldn't be as cool as it sounds actualy comes from some game design issues that have been found in games like SFB (Star Fleet Battles) and F&E (Federation and Empire). Smart players in one fleet get together and just target the nearest ship, and then that ship explodes. Becasue NO SHIP IN THE GAME CAN WITHSTAND 10 OTHER SHIPS FIRING AT IT FOR MORE THAN A LITTLE WHILE.

Smaller fleets mean manouver and distance is important; mobs of 20 ships mean that the ships on the edge (which games like SFB have shown) simply explode quickly. What fun is that?

Fleet actions quickly devolve into 'blow up the nearest ship quickly" and you might as well be driving an immobile bunker, unless you are on the close edge of the fleet, for then you'll simply see several beams hit your ship before it explodes.
I play both of those games as well as NavyField and I disagree.

On SFB & F&E I have no idea where you are coming from? Have you actually played those games?

In SFB you already have fleet limits at 11 per side with some exceptions for admirals and command points. Does blow the nearest enemy ship up still happen? Certainly, but for the most part people don't play fleet actions of more than 4 or 5 in SFB because of the difficulty dealing with masses of paper work and seeking weapons. Ganging up on one ship only happens in SFB because long range heavy weapons and seeking weapons make this approach feasible.

F&E on the other hand is a strategic game doesn't allow you to specifically target more than one ship per round of combat with directed damage in a given hex so I'm not sure where you got the big fleets are bad issue idea. In fact F&E 2010 is actually going to add an auto kill rule because ships don't die nearly enough!!!

In NavyField you can easily have 24+ ships per side with a much wide disparity in ship power. For example a Battleship in NavyField can one shot kill most other ships in the game. Do people gang up on one player in NavyField? No because there are so many targets and weapons are so powerful that the side that ganged up on one player would be eliminated by the time they destroyed 2 or 3 ships.

Now a couple of points on STO:

In STO gang up on one ship already happens in PVP. Just play Salvage Yard and you will see that most combat actions are already beat up one player and then move on to the next. My feeling is that adding fleet actions won't change this and might actually make it less likely by providing more targets. To fix this problem multiple tiers need to be allowed to fight each other. That way you will end up with a disparity in firepower that is closer to NavyField. The lack of disparity in weapon power and ranges causes the problems you see today.

The problem with STO combat is the same problem SFB DID HAVE with the first X ship module. Every weapon has the same range so the only viable tactic is CLOSE AND HOSE. The fix for this is to make certain weapons have different ranges and offset reload times. That way ship combat will become more like SFC or SFB. In these games you see a lot of sniping approach and recharge style combat. Also the mines need to go because they further encourage CLOSE AND HOSE.
Lt. Commander
# 126
01-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineel
For me this is probably the most important statement in the entire article. I hope they can stick to this. I know there are quite a few Head Starters from CO who remember the sudden and jarring change in the xp curve on Launch day. Roper tried to paint it pretty, but it was a disaster in every sense of the word. Please stick to this statement. Users have an investment in the content, and when you go slashing through the game with massive changes it only serves to convince people you weren't ready for release.

Also, there seems to be a lot of confusion over two different terms:
  • Updates - These are defined as fixes, minor content additions, UI and graphics engine improvements. In almost every case these end up being free with every MMO out there. Think of them like Service Packs.
  • Expansions - These are major content additions to an MMO. In traditional Ground based games, these will be things like entirely new Continents, new character classes, more instances and big changes to the game engine. Depending on the company these can be free, but are usually provided for a cost. Usually less than the full price of the game, some of these expansions can be even bigger than the original game. Think of the upgrade from Windows 95 to XP. -- The upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 can be argued either way

Hope that helps clear up the confusion. I realize there are a lot of STO people who haven't played MMOs before, and therefore may be confused by the terminology.
To be fair, Cryptic's CO team may be confused by the terminology. Either that, or they've posted links to interviews that misquote their management staff, because they were saying things like "the new content update is going to be bigger than some paid expansions!"
Lt. Commander
# 127
01-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akulapanam View Post
I The fix for this is to make certain weapons have different ranges and offset reload times.
I like that idea
Lt. Commander
# 128
01-27-2010, 10:36 PM
It was great doing the beta and I look forward to kicking off the game "Officially" soon. Having played just about all the Star Trek games in the past, It's good to see a game that has taken aspects of those games and integrated them into 1 game.

I have noticed a few things I feel may need some tweeking. I noticed the boarding parties the Klingons were doing. Makes sense in having it. However, if your shields are up, boarding parties should not be able to board your ship until the shields go down or at least 1 section of them. My thinking on that is if shields can prevent weapons fire from hitting your ship, the same shields should be able to prevent boarding parties. On a side note, I think it should be added that if there is a boarding party on your ship, you should have the option to either continue fighting the space battle or turn over the space battle to your bridge crew while you go around your ship to do combat with the boarding parties. Perhaps that could be a feature added later.

During the space combat, ships should maintain the ability to go into full impulse. This should apply to both your ship and the enemy's ship as well. Anyone that has ever played Star Fleet Command 3 knows that it's an essential part of space combat tactics. There are risks involved with going into full impulse during combat. Again, anyone who has ever played Star Fleet Command 3 knows this.

When it comes to people in your fleet or buddy list. If someone adds you to their fleet and they happen to be a different sector, you should be able to click on there name and see what sector/system they are in. from what I could see, the game only shows the system or sector space. Leaves a lot of playing the guessing game as to what sector a system may be in. On the same token, if you take a mission, the mission log description should say what sector that mission is in. For instance, If I get a mission to patrol the Kassae system, that's all the mission title and description will tell me. It does not tell me what sector that system is located in. At one point I had several missions in my log. Each mission would only show the system I needed to go into. There was a lot of wasted time going into the Pi Canus sector looking for a certain system to find the system was in the Sol sector. Perhaps having the mission log divide the missions into groups with the sector name as the title to each group. This way a player can see what missions they have in the particular sector they are in before moving on to the next sector.

When it comes to flying around in sector space, why do you loose the ability to go into Full Impulse? Very similar as if you're in battle. You have a lot of dead time where you in a trance watching your ship crawl from one side of a sector to another. Especially long ways across a sector. Granted you can move the speed slider to full but you still don't go as fast as going into full impulse.
Lt. Commander
# 129
01-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Love it, love it, love it.

Was it just me, or were there a couple of stabs at the CO launch problems stuffed in there? :p
Lt. Commander
# 130
01-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Good post by the dev! Posts like these are good for the community.