Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Captain
I've been getting a fair amount of Romulan Ale from assignments and on my never-ending quest to figure out what to do with all this stuff, I was wondering what I can do with Romulan Ale.

I read on gamepedia that it's used to grow Tribbles, and I have a few tribbles. Are they worth it? And are there any other uses for Romulan Ale?
Captain
# 2
09-23-2013, 07:07 AM
For KDF Tribbles are quite good as you can get Cannibal Tribbles

Basic Tribbles + Cannibal = fun and a carcass, collect 10 and hand them over to the KDF security, they cant eat the rarer ones though luckily

Apart from collecting them there's not much point as any buff from them you can get better with the Gambling Device imo, they are just a fun little thing to give to your officers - who seem to stroke them far to much lol
http://www.auroratrek.com/index.html
Career Officer
# 3
09-23-2013, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by realisticalty View Post
are there any other uses for Romulan Ale?
Go onto your ship and speak to your bartender, there's a repeatable DOff assignment that uses them.

Aside from that, all non-Klingons should have a decent tribble (including BOffs) for the buff.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Captain
# 4
09-23-2013, 08:16 AM
The special Tribbles are good somewhat; especially the Mark-giving Tribbles and the 'Vs opponent' Tribbles.

A good strategy for the Tribbles that give you certain bonuses is to take that tribble and pet it, then start a mission where you'll fight related enemies (I.E. petting a Gamma Quadrant Tribble - feed a tribble Refined Ketracel White to get one - and playing some of the "2800" FE Series episodes).

The 'standard issue' Tribbles aren't quite as good.

Romulan Ale, as mentioned, is used in the Bartending Assignment Chain and a repeatable assignment it unlocks at your ship's bartender. It's not used anywhere near as much as Saurian Brandy (Required in both the Bartending and Caitian Disporia/Unforgiven of Feresa chains) or Synthale (Development DOff Assignment "Attend Local Festival" requires six bottles).

Unfortunately, in true canon style, Romulan Ale cannot be served at diplomatic functions.
Career Officer
# 5
09-25-2013, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomagnus View Post
The 'standard issue' Tribbles aren't quite as good.
Define "standard issue"?

I find the Tribble (ric) to be nice, I try to give all my BOffs one of those.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Captain
# 6
09-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Using that chart, the 'Tier 1-3' Tribbles; Dot, Sus, Vit, Tuf, etc. are what I mean by 'standard issue', the one you don't have to breed for or work at, just play the game and you'll end up with them eventually.
Career Officer
# 7
09-26-2013, 12:36 AM
In my opinion all tribbles were made obsolete by the Gamling Device. You can get it in the Lobi store or the exchange.
Career Officer
# 8
09-26-2013, 07:10 AM
I used to carry the Gambling Device, but it got annoying whenever I went into an eSTF and debuffed myself. I ended up using a Tribble of Borg instead.

Besides, getting 4 more of them to fully equip your BOffs is a costly proposition, so you can't completely ignore tribbles.

Career Officer
# 9
09-26-2013, 12:50 PM
I give it to one of my crew to get drunk
Captain
# 10
09-28-2013, 03:53 AM
I'd say carry a Tribble - ANY Tribble that isn't a cannibal - rather than leave the slot empty.

The basic, health-regenerating Tribbles at the very least allow for you to progress through missions quicker if you're badly injured and need to regenerate. Other than that, look into the 'special' Tribbles which can be more worthwhile - the Crossfire Tribble, Tribbles in the rep system, Tribble of Borg, the IDIC, etc. are all good ones, and some can be bred cheaply or for free.

That said, unless you actually have nothing better to put into the device slot, don't slot more than one Tribble. Also consider giving them to your bridge crew.

As per Romulan ale there are a few uses, such as actually drinking it (I advise against that, not worth the device slot) and it's used in some things such as a few fleet projects. That said, I don't think there's any major use for it.