Commander
Pretty much, what the title says. I am trying to create a first scene of my foundry series with a big battle/ambush with the character's ship not doing very well. I want to show different bridge damage as the dialogue ensues, but I have no idea on how to accomplish this! Help!
Captain
# 2
09-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampa4 View Post
Pretty much, what the title says. I am trying to create a first scene of my foundry series with a big battle/ambush with the character's ship not doing very well. I want to show different bridge damage as the dialogue ensues, but I have no idea on how to accomplish this! Help!
Put an explosion on the bridge and set the triggers of the explosion to "dialog prompt reached." Select the dialogue in the storyboard (talk to contact objective). The trigger doesn't recognize popup dialogues on the storyboard, but it does recognize every other type of dialogue. Does that help?
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
09-24-2013, 07:22 AM
Just a word of caution that everyone has a different bridge and most will pick up that any bridge map you use is not "their bridge."

@greendragoon
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
09-24-2013, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
Just a word of caution that everyone has a different bridge and most will pick up that any bridge map you use is not "their bridge."
^^ This exactly; people are very "adamant" when things happen on their own bridge. It kind of kills the story.
The easiest way you can overcome this storywise is by helping out another captain and beaming over their ship/bridge.

You can trigger explosions and fires in multiple ways; either by reach markers or as Kirkfat/splat told by "dialog prompt reached" option.
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message ^^
Commander
# 5
09-24-2013, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
Put an explosion on the bridge and set the triggers of the explosion to "dialog prompt reached." Select the dialogue in the storyboard (talk to contact objective). The trigger doesn't recognize popup dialogues on the storyboard, but it does recognize every other type of dialogue. Does that help?
I'll try that next time I am on (haven't exactly had too much time to get on STO lately due to school work). I'll let you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
I am well aware of that...issue... as a "side-note", I'd like to mention that what I had said (character's bridge) is somewhat of a false statement so as to protect the idea I really had in mind until such time that I could get around to establishing what I wanted to do for sure! I'll let you know what happens as time gets closer to publishing my first episode!
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
09-24-2013, 07:59 AM
Should point out that not everyone will throw a fit if you put them on a bridge that isn't theirs. It all depends on how you sell it, how you make that maps stand out. I played a mission by djf021 not long ago that used one of those basic Miranda bridges for my player ship, which is certainly not what I use. However he created a very cool sequence where the ship is damaged and you have to help damage control and medical care for casualties and what not. So at the end of the map I wasn't thinking "Hey that wasn't my bridge" I was thinking "that was cool!"

You can convince the player of a lot of things in the Foundry if you sell it well.
Join the Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable

Looking for a Foundry mission for your Romulan character? Look no further!
Captain
# 7
09-24-2013, 08:13 AM
Two other alternatives, both demonstrated in drogyn's excellent "Sink the Bismarck":

-- The main bridge suffered a hull breach in the first salvo, forcing the surviving bridge crew to evacuate to the auxiliary bridge (your map).
-- Use of the ship's holodeck for a tertiary bridge/fleet command center/whatever.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer