Community Moderator
Based on another post I made today, I would like to propose an idea for a future iteration of the Duty Officer system.

I would like to see a mechanic where players could contribute assignment slots and DOFFs toward cooperative completion of a special type of cooperative assignment. Multiplayer DOFFing, if you will.

The basic idea I had would allow players to temporarily "donate" one or more of their assignment slots along with any inputs toward the completion of a "Fleet Assignment".

This would be different from Fleet Projects in that you are not consuming DOFFs, only loaning them out. The rewards could be Fleet Marks, or Dilithium, or anything else.

For example, imagine a Cooperative Assignment where twenty characters each assigned one DOFF and one Assignment Slot to a 20 hr assignment that rewarded 25 fleet marks per DOFF/slot (or more with a Crit).

It could add a bit of a social aspect to DOFFing and could be considered a legitimate "fleet activity". Loners would not necessarily be left out; they could choose to start a Cooperative Assignment as long as they had enough available assignment slots and other inputs.

Cooperative DOFFing could also be used to add a new dynamic to team-based missions that involve more than just combat.

Let's suppose that your overall goal is a favorable outcome of diplomatic relations. In order to complete an optional for an additional reward, five different sub-assignments have to be completed. One player has to assign diplomats, advisors, and traders to the negotiations, another has to provide chefs, bartenders, and entertainers to the hall where the negotiations are taking place, another player has to assign security officers, another assignment involves engineering DOFFs who have to repair something, and the fifth assignment needs botanists to create a cure for a blight on the local crops or something.

You could even think of it as an assignment chain that can be completed with the participation of one or multiple players. All of the sub-assignments have to be completed in order to complete the whole chain. The assignments could be completed at the same time, or at different times, or in any order, by any number of players to finish the chain.

Thoughts? Too complicated? Or interesting notion?
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 2
09-24-2013, 02:03 PM
An interesting idea...

But as a loner, I'd like to hear more about how it would work for myself and other non-fleet players before I make any real decisions on how I feel about it...
Rihannsu
# 3
09-24-2013, 07:10 PM
another thing that would be nice is a doff bank for the fleet.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Community Moderator
# 4
09-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomagnus View Post
An interesting idea...

But as a loner, I'd like to hear more about how it would work for myself and other non-fleet players before I make any real decisions on how I feel about it...
The basic idea doesn't preclude a loner from completing it. It might take more time and/or assignment slots devoted to it, but I don't think limiting it to one Captain per slot is a good idea... then you potentially get an uncompleteable assignment.

Would it work in your favor? No, probably not. It would probably be more efficient to complete it as a team. Hence the "Cooperative" aspect.

But let's say you're a in a one-man fleet. Getting marks without queing up would be a total drag, and the CXP conversion is pretty slow.

What if you could complete a Cooperative assignment that used up all 20 of your assignment slots and 20 of your DOFFs, but gave you an extra 250-500(?) Fleet Marks every 20 hours? Or if you could chain 5 slots at a time over four days, assignment slots you really weren't effectively using anyway?

The real idea behind this is being able to trade assignment slots (resources) for faster completion (time) or better rewards and optionally being able to spread the resource requirement (slots) across multiple characters.

The real downside to this scheme, if any, is that it could open up unintended abuse of the feature. A guy with twenty characters on his account (if that were possible) could use it to farm FM's and other rewards at a rate faster than intended. I'm not sure what the max number of characters per account is, but imagine 20 characters with 20 slots each farming 500 Marks per day (20 x 500 = 10000). Or one guy with 20 free accounts. There would likely need to be some other limiting feature, but one that didn't make Cooperative assignments worthless.

One idea would be to set it up such that you can't queue a Cooperative assignment unless you're A) in the right place (where and when the assignment becomes available), and B) in a team at the time you queue it up. Your teammates need not necessarily queue up the same assignment, they'd only be facilitating your access to the CA.

Solo captains could temporarily team up with at least one other solo captain in order to start their CA chain, and even help each other complete them. So there could be a social aspect that's not dependent on being in a fleet.

I'll admit, it's problematical. But would it open up a useful dynamic to DOFFing and is it worth it?
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Captain
# 5
09-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Simplest I can think of:

If the payouts to/for these projects are nothing but fleet resources, then the mission(s) are limited by the fleet...

And, since the fleet system is designed around "25 active" players, then the limitations are based around 25 active donations...
Well, with the upgrade announcement leaving NX and Connie fans in the dust again, can we restart / revisit the T5 Connie and NX threads - since they will no longer be "truly" endgame ships... (after we get the T5 versions, it'll be time to see them added to the T5U upgrade charts too...
Community Moderator
# 6
09-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dareau View Post
Simplest I can think of:

If the payouts to/for these projects are nothing but fleet resources, then the mission(s) are limited by the fleet...

And, since the fleet system is designed around "25 active" players, then the limitations are based around 25 active donations...
I would think that would preclude a great many fleets and thus not worth the investment to create a system for it.
Community Moderator
# 7
09-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Another potential limiter could be limiting each character to participation in one Cooperative chain at a time. You could have five characters working on one chain, but can't have five characters working five different co-op assignments.

Of course that would kind of wreck the notion of putting co-op assignments in missions.

Or, create a category of account-wide assignments. Everybody gets one account-assignment slot and can pay or grind for more. Then require available account-assignment slots in order to participate in Cooperative assignments.

One single player could still complete them, one step in the chain at a time, or multiple players could do it.

I dunno. This is starting to sound like a harder problem than I thought.
Captain
# 8
09-25-2013, 04:46 PM
That's fine. I wasn't expecting the idea of a co-operative venture to be easy for Loners, just open to them. Not sure I can say it without sounding like a bit of a jerk, but I was just hoping that Loners would be able to take part and it would necessarily be yet another way for some people to push the "You have to be in a fleet, STO can't be played without fleet gear, etc.' mentality. Not saying you were or do, just that some people, unfortunately, would.

Then there's the question of 'cross-faction' assignments...
Would Co-opDOffing cross factions or no? By this I mean, say, a 'diplomatic function' assignment like you mentioned in the original post; could a Fed player supply the diplomats and a KDF play supply the security officers?
(It's a reasonable question; The 2293 Khitomer Conference was on a Klingon planet with Federation diplomats and politicians and Starfleet Officers, as well as a Romulan Ambassador, I think...)
Captain
# 9
09-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I would think that would preclude a great many fleets and thus not worth the investment to create a system for it.
Depends - depends not...

Reason I thought to make the "DOff slots" for these missions a "fleet resource" is to corral any potential exploits (20 alts x 500 marks? nope.) I'm thinking max of 5 slots per fleet.

If "donating slots" is something that's necessary, then 5 contribution slots = one fleet slot...

And, the 25 man limit plays into this - one slot per player from 25 players = 5 "fleet slots"...

Contribution wise, looking for 2-3 DOffs + 5 "commodities" per player (times the "standard" 25 man concept) = 50-75 DOffs + 125 commodities - which should be manageable by one player for the solo artist (though, like everything else, practically monopolizes the player's resource for fleet advancement)...
Well, with the upgrade announcement leaving NX and Connie fans in the dust again, can we restart / revisit the T5 Connie and NX threads - since they will no longer be "truly" endgame ships... (after we get the T5 versions, it'll be time to see them added to the T5U upgrade charts too...