Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
I found this to be a good read. But I have a good question. What type of new Trek will we see? Meaning will it be in JJ Verse or the Prime Verse?

http://www.blastr.com/2013-9-25/here...will-return-tv
Captain
# 2
09-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Got no idea what kind of new show we'll actually get (if we get one), but I'll tell you the kind of show I'd like to see. Here's a (slightly edited) repost of what I said in the "REBOOT TNG" thread (I say "no, thank you," to that idea, BTW):

I was thinking a while back of something set post-STO (taking the game's storylines into account would be awesome), maybe late 25th- early-26th century, where the Federation's many wars in the STO timeframe have eventually led to it collapsing, and the Enterprise-G or whomever is part of remnant forces trying to reconstruct it.

Provided they spring for a decent writing team, it'll be dark and dramatic, with plenty of opportunities for classic Star Trek ethical dilemmas (especially around, do we continue to uphold things like the Prime Directive when it means the death of the Federation, not just inconvenience for us?) and a tension about maintaining Star Trek's hopeful tone in the face of annihilation.

The idea borrows more than a few themes from what I envision Voyager would've been had the writing team been more careful and had the network not decided they wanted a TNG-like show. (For example, the whole idea of fusing Maquis and Starfleet crews was to create a source of interpersonal conflict and factionalism for plots. Apart from a few brief instances in season 1 this was completely ignored at the behest of a TNG-like-ratings-seeking network that saw the TNG crew not having internal conflict.)

What I had in mind was something like Star Trek crossed with the Rebel Alliance and parts of BSG. Unlike ENT and VOY the heroes aren't the only ship out there, but part of a small resistance group. They work alone most of the time, but they also fight the occasional major fleet action and work to liberate worlds and build coalitions by equal parts diplomacy and guerrilla tactics.

What they don't have is lots of redshirts and spare ships they can throw around (at least not if the writers want to improve on the USS Reset Button silliness that VOY frequently had). Stuff like supply problems and crew cracking under stress should be recurring plots, and control of repair facilities a major priority. Exploration would be purposeful rather than for its own sake, searches for new allies and other resources to help restore the Federation (think Stargate SG-1, not TNG).
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
09-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Whatever universe it's set in, whether the Prime Universe or the JJ Abrams universe -- you can be rest assured Star Trek fans will hate it.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147
Captain
# 4
09-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Set in Prime, I will watch it. JJ, I won't since I don' like his version.
Captain
# 5
09-25-2013, 11:27 AM
A JJ universe (in my opinion) will not wonk on TV. The JJ universe I feel only works on the big screen.

A new ST TV show will only work if they take it back to basics, meaning keeping to the whole ST ideology. Enterprise was short lived because they tried to create (I suppose) an alternate universe, one that wasn't within keeping to the already known ST universe. If The Xindi, Breen, Tholians were already known to us via TOS (or even TNG) Enterprise would of worked better

Voyager worked because it was the first TV show to have a female captain so therefore viewers were intrigued to see how she would develop, it also worked because viewers were already aware that entering an uncharted area of space there were going to be new alien races to encounter. If Enterprise hadn't of been set around an already known universe it would of lasted longer.

A new TV needs to jump into the future, (not by much) but enough to show develpment (or demise) of already known alien races.

On the otherhand it needs to pick up on known occurances, but yet explored ie the temporal prime directive, ie having the show set onboard a Wells. Only problem with that is that it would have to stick to ST rigidly, as it would end up looking like a rip off of something like TimeCop.
Live long and Prosper
Captain
# 6
09-25-2013, 12:21 PM
I'd like to see something set immediately after the events of the Dominion War. A friend of mine recently pointed out how interesting a setting that would be: the Federation is rebuilding after having suffered horrendous losses, the Cardassians have been reduced to a third-world power, and the entire Alpha Quadrant has been irrevocably changed. It would be interesting to deal with stories focusing on healing the scars that the war caused, and having to come to terms with the fact that the Federation is no longer the happy, utopian place that it used to be.
Captain
# 7
09-25-2013, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassadormolari View Post
I'd like to see something set immediately after the events of the Dominion War. A friend of mine recently pointed out how interesting a setting that would be: the Federation is rebuilding after having suffered horrendous losses, the Cardassians have been reduced to a third-world power, and the entire Alpha Quadrant has been irrevocably changed. It would be interesting to deal with stories focusing on healing the scars that the war caused, and having to come to terms with the fact that the Federation is no longer the happy, utopian place that it used to be.
That could seriously work. I like it alot. Add a tiuch of temperol interference and it would work even better (not that I'm saying your idea would not work on it's own).

As a side story as the Dominion war was between 2373 - 2375, and Voyager was lost 2371 -2376 there could be a great tie in there with maybe the Cardassians trying twart Starfleets efforts in bringing Voyager home.
Live long and Prosper

Last edited by eazzie; 09-25-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Captain
# 8
09-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazzie View Post
A JJ universe (in my opinion) will not wonk on TV. The JJ universe I feel only works on the big screen...
I disagree.

Mr. Abrams has done some very good and extremely successful televison.

TV is his forte.

# 9
09-25-2013, 01:23 PM
If they make a new series I hope they do it like they did with TNG: place it some 7 decades past TNG/DS9/VOY era. That way we keep learning about the future of the Trek-verse. We get new tech, new ships, new species, etc. Enterprises failure was in trying to do history rather then future. Trek's always been about what's over the next spacial horizon.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Career Officer
# 10
09-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
If they make a new series I hope they do it like they did with TNG: place it some 7 decades past TNG/DS9/VOY era. That way we keep learning about the future of the Trek-verse. We get new tech, new ships, new species, etc. Enterprises failure was in trying to do history rather then future. Trek's always been about what's over the next spacial horizon.
This. I would like a new cast, crew, and ship. I am not interested in a remake of the story, or a retelling.I am more interested in seeing what the crew of Enterprise-F is doing several decades after TNG wrapped up.
That redshirt, Totally got vaped!!!